Trash-free Cache

That's a nice design. I like it, but... how does "trade often" benefit the cache?

It encourages people to actually do some trading, rather than "TNLNSL."

(I suppose the next 50 posts on this topic are going to discuss whether I should have used commas or not, whether "Trade Even" and "Trade Up" are conflicting messages, etc.) :rolleyes:

Edited by Indiana Cojones
That's a nice design. I like it, but... how does "trade often" benefit the cache?

It encourages people to actually do some trading, rather than "TNLNSL."

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

(I suppose the next 50 posts on this topic are going to discuss whether I should have used commas or not, whether "Trade Even" and "Trade Up" are conflicting messages, etc.)  :rolleyes:

If you prefer that no one respond, I'm not sure you understand the concept of this forum.

Yes, it does have conflicting messages. Not to mention many newbies are confused by the notion of trading up as it is completely the opposite of all other nstances of "trading up."

I'd prefer to not perpetuate the notion of "trading up."

But, don't most geocachers understand "trading up" as it is used in the gc community? It seems to me most do.

Not to be rude, but if someone is going to accuse me of having intentions I don't have then I'm driven away as a result.

It's like having a sign that says "No Spitting" in a restaurant. If I saw that kind of sign, I'd think "What kind of place is this that they NEED a 'No Spitting' sign? I don't want to eat here."

Not to be rude, but if someone is going to accuse me of having intentions I don't have then I'm driven away as a result.

It's like having a sign that says "No Spitting" in a restaurant. If I saw that kind of sign, I'd think "What kind of place is this that they NEED a 'No Spitting' sign? I don't want to eat here."

it's not the place, it's the people. i have seen people start to change a baby's diaper on a table at a restaurant. c'mon, people have to eat at that table. we shouldn't have to post "no changing diapers" signs.

Edited by uperdooper
But, don't most geocachers understand "trading up" as it is used in the gc community? It seems to me most do.

Yeah, but only after it's explained to them. The way we use it is the opposite the way it's used everywhere else. Meaning by "trading up" you are getting something better than you give up.

So, when a person has the cache in front of them they know they should be "trading up" and because it means they get something better everywhere else in the world, they will tend to think along those lines.

I'm just saying the term is counter-intuitive and counterproductive.

...but it appears some people don't give a dadgum and would rather use a bandaid instead of fix the problem at hand.

...but it appears some people don't give a dadgum and would rather use a bandaid instead of fix the problem at hand.

Most people don't seem to see it as a problem. Plus, it also says TRADE EVEN in case TRADE UP somehow leaves you confused, or hollow inside.

If, for whatever reason, you don't like this logo by all means, feel free to make your own. I'm not telling people to use it, or even suggesting they do. I'm merely offering it, and if people would like to then they're welcome to it.

Indiana,

I like the design and your intentions. My cache placements are all still new, so have not yet degraded to broken McToys. I may end up using your design as a gentle reminder. Will it fix the problem? Probably not. Will it help? Maybe. But I think it's worth a try. I think it was in the Mary Poppins movie there was the line: "It's easier to curse the darkness than light one small candle".

Thanks for your kind words. I produced that logo for two reasons:

1) This is one of the ongoing topics on the forums, and if anything little thing helps, even in the slightest, then I'm all for it.

2) I do design for a living, and I thought it would be fun to create such a logo.

In all honesty, I did it more for reason 2 than reason 1. That's one of the reasons why I find it amusing (sort of) when people start commenting on it as if I'm determining the future of Geocaching. :rolleyes:

I dunno... If I am not with my son, I don't really find much joy in trading at all.

Problem is, I show up with a pocket full of cool goodies (or a bag) and I find a bunch of golf balls.

I kind of lost the joy of trading up because it began to feel more like I was doing cache maintenance.

But I have noticed that lately caches are looking better probably because of efforts

like this.

You go brother !

I love you man.

You can have my bud light.

:P

If I saw that sign in a cache I would almost certainly put a comment in my log about how future cachers should not plan to trade in the cache since the owner is a self-righteous jerk. And I wouldn't trade, even if I had something nice.

But then, I appear to be one of the minority who doesn't believe that caching is all about telling everyone else what to do.

the part i love about trading is that people don't HAVE to leave the stuff they do. i like to go through and see what's there... a little museum of stuff. i like the stuff to be interesting, and i don't care about value.

there is a cacher in NH who leaves signed wine corks. intrinsic value, very little. interest to me, high.

i am of two opinions about caches with rules:

1) rule caches are brought to you by fascist idiots who want to make you jump through hoops in order to claim your find.

2) rule caches are brought to you by someone who is making a comic statement, or wants you to participate in a common experience.

one or both of these circumstances is usually operating.

i have a cache where you are only supposed to leave golf balls and hockey schedules, but people have left used lottery tickets, TBs, signature items and in a few cases, CLEAN, USABLE ITEMS!!! i can understand the lottery ticket but PLEASE. can't you other people read directions!?!????

If I saw that sign in a cache I would almost certainly put a comment in my log about how future cachers should not plan to trade in the cache since the owner is a self-righteous jerk. And I wouldn't trade, even if I had something nice.

But then, I appear to be one of the minority who doesn't believe that caching is all about telling everyone else what to do.

;)

Man, can the forums get more negative when someone tries to present something meant to be positive?

And I've never yet heard anyone actually say that to them "trading up is taking something better out of a cache than what you leave", except the one or two negative people that like to throw a wrench in everything around here. I like it, IC, and it's not gonna make me call you a jerk in the forums or in a log because you are trying to help make things a bit better. Sheesh, lighten up, Francis! ;)

All of the discussions about how caches so quickly get filled with crap has made me realize that there's no problem so great a simple logo can't fix it.

I don't think I would use something like this for any of our caches.

I would prefer people leave some junk and go away having had a nice experience because of our cache location rather than go away trying to evaluate whether they are good or bad traders or feeling insulted.

We can all, any of us, remove broken, wet and moldy junk from containers as we move about our business. Don't even need to leave something if you remove damaged goods.

And... a message like this will not change cacher behavior I suspect.