Magellan Platinum?

LFlood

From only having loooked at product descriptions, I am leaning toward the Magellan Platinum. I live in the Sierra where elevation is a definite help in determining location.

I want to mostly use it for finding new cross country ski routes and maybe some geocaching (sounds like fun). I would like to hear from those who have actually used the unit.

I think the Magellan Platinum is one of the top 3 handheld GPS's offered on the market right now. I own a few GPS's and my Platinum is one of my favorites.

You will be happy with th Platinum if you decide to go that way. I just got a Garmin 60CS and it rocks also, I know you didnt ask about the 60CS, its just that I'm happy as a pig in slop with it also.

I started with a used Garmin Venture and used that several months to learn about GPSs, how to use them, and what features were or weren't important to me. I decided mapping capabilities and expandable memory were high priorities. The Plat was what I picked out, and I haven't come up with a reason to switch to anything else in the year and a half I've had it. It's not perfect, but on balance I think it's one of the best values in a GPS.

I did 8 months of research before I bought mine in December 2002. I've never regretted it since then... although the Garmin 60cs does have me doing a sidewise glance at it behind my shades so my first love, the MeriPlat, doesn't notice.

The GPS atlimeter has been within 40 feet of my barometer altimeter (when the barometer is tweaked to current conditions) after a 10-20 minute average.

I've had my Meriplat for about a year, and I think it's great.

I use it a lot for kayaking, and driving, (don't look at it while moving).

Got mine at GPS Discount back when they were doing the rebate thing

for $255 minus $50 rebate which I had no problems with.

Delivered from CO, to CT four days after I ordered it.

Good luck!

I'm another MeriPlat owner thats very happy with his choice. I use mine for Geocaching and plotting x-c routes in the mountains. It holds a lock extremely well and shows me exactly where I went, either on skis or bushwhacking through the manzanita. I only recently realized how handy it can be when driving the Forest Service roads and 4X4 roads in the mountains.

I got mine through Harmony...great deal at the time.

Edited by mtnsteve

I've had mine for a year and I love it! I originally purchaed it for TOPO maps and such for when I'm out with my 4WD. But a friend turned me onto Geogaching and the whole family is hooked. I got mine from Harmony computers and I bought the TOPO map SW with it. Got a $75. rebate from Mag to sweeten the deal. No ;) regrets here at all. ;)

If you have the extra money buy the Mericolor. Pretty much the same unit as the Meriplat with the one obvious difference. I got a good deal on my Mericolor by going to mysimon.com and having the site show me who had the lowest prices. Ended up paying about the same price as I was going to plunk on the Meriplat and I got color to boot.

If you have the extra money buy the Mericolor. Pretty much the same unit as the Meriplat with the one obvious difference. I got a good deal on my Mericolor by going to mysimon.com and having the site show me who had the lowest prices.  Ended up paying about the same price as I was going to plunk on the Meriplat and I got color to boot.

Not to put down the MeriColor, but with the color, you gave up the 3-axis floating compass. With backcountry skiing and hiking, the compass would be more handy than the color. Naturally you'll be carrying a backup compass, but it is nice to have one device that does it all. If you're anywhere near as clumsy as I am, holding onto one device is much easier than holding onto two or more. :lol:

Edited by TotemLake
Not to put down the MeriColor, but with the color, you gave up the 3-axis floating compass. With backcountry skiing and hiking, the compass would be more handy than the color. Naturally you'll be carrying a backup compass, but it is nice to have one device that does it all. If you're anywhere near as clumsy as I am, holding onto one device is much easier than holding onto two or more.

Sorry but that doesn't hold any water. :lol: I was happy to give up the sensors for color. TOPO looks awesome in color.

Holding a compass in the other hand or glancing at it now and then from a shoulder strap is much easier than scrolling through the nav screens over and over. The weather barometer was useless.

Not to put down the MeriColor, but with the color, you gave up the 3-axis floating compass. With backcountry skiing and hiking, the compass would be more handy than the color. Naturally you'll be carrying a backup compass, but it is nice to have one device that does it all. If you're anywhere near as clumsy as I am, holding onto one device is much easier than holding onto two or more.

Sorry but that doesn't hold any water. :lol: I was happy to give up the sensors for color. TOPO looks awesome in color.

Holding a compass in the other hand or glancing at it now and then from a shoulder strap is much easier than scrolling through the nav screens over and over. The weather barometer was useless.

I've tried holding water in my hands too... doesn't work very well :lol:

But seriously - I am a klutz and I do have a tendancy to drop things when my attention is divided. So trouble with holding onto more than one thing at a time is more true than one can suppose but I'm sure you will have noted that when you saw me using two hands to drink my beer. :lol:

As for the other sensors, well if you're not into weather watching or concerned about what the weather might be doing when you're way in the boonies, then yes, they will be useless to the general user going only for the geocache. I use my GPS for more than just geocaching and the reason I bought it was the ability to weather watch, track watch, and know my bearing all off the same device, at the touch of a button without having to fumble with another device.

So anyway - as you can see. the opinions do vary. You just need to decide what it is you can do with or without.

I had both the Vista and Platinum, and found the Platinum to be better.

Me no like them eTrex's.

If you used a GPS without the Electronic Compass, you can always use a regular compass that has a neck strap, to keep your hands free until needed.

If you like to do caching using a hiking stick, then the Platinum is your best choice, and all your other stuff would be in a backpack, and the cache printout in a pocket.

Edited by GOT GPS?