Mapsource City Select V5.0

Anyone use this new City Select maps? I'm loading it now and the unlock feature is about the worst registration/unlocking of software I've ever seen. I don't even know if I got it unlocked or if it's working right. But from the pictures in the book compared to what I'm seeing something seems off base here. Any help?

One problem I'm finding is even after I get thru the registration it asks me for one last registration code located on a piece of paper inside the software box. Well I don't see any paper or 7 digit code. Thanks Garmin! Ridiculous for a $100 piece of software.

Edited by Firehouse16

You should've gotten an unlock certificate in the package. Mine has a sticker with EIGHT alpha-numeric digits (A1B2C3D4... [not my real number of course]).

If the package was opened and you did not get this certificate, notify the vendor and get one!

If the package was properly sealed, then contact Garmin. I never heard of anyone NOT getting an unlock certificate though.

I would suggest just going to Garmin's site and unlocking/registering from there. I just bought NACSv5 also and went through the same thing you did, only to find that I didn't have that 7 digit registration code either. I looked and looked, but nothing. Thought I lost it, but I guess I'm not the only one. Anyway, the unlock wizard kept giving me errors everytime it tried to connect to garmin.com and register at the end. I thought about calling/emailing Garmin support, however I was still able to unlock the maps for my other gpsr by going to the unlock section of their website. I'm in their system now, so hopefully it's registered.

And yeah, like RK said, if the maps are uploading to your gpsr then it is working. They won't upload if you haven't unlocked them.

I'm a Magellan user so I need some information (hold the heckling until the end). I was looking at buying the 60cs and City Select. It seems to me that Renegade Knight always complained (I know that is no surprise) about only being able to unlock one state. Is that still true. I travel all the time and if I had to pay to unlock each state I couldn't afford it. :rolleyes:

Don't get too flustered.

First, there are three codes that are important during this unlock process. The first is the unit serial number which is an 8-digit number that is on the box and in the battery compartment. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a true number made up of digits (0-9) only.

The second important code is the coupon code which is an 8-character code made up of capital letters and numbers. The ones I've seen are mostly or entirely made up of capital letters.

The third code is the actual unlock code which is a 25-character code that is generated by the combination of your software and your actual unit's serial number. This code is e-mailed to you after you complete the unlock process. This code has to be entered into Mapsource to even see the maps on the PC and to down load maps into your GPS.

It is easy to see if you've unlocked already simply go going to Garmin's unlock site at:

http://www.garmin.com/unlock/

Click the unlock button under Step 1 then type-in the coupon code into the Returning Customer block. If everything went well on during the initial unlock attempt you will see a chart with the following information: GPS Unit, Serial #, MapSource Product, Region, Action, and Coupon Code. Make sure that the unit information matches your unit. If it doesn't wait until Monday and contact Garmin Customer Service.

Note: There are also several actions at the bottom of this page: New Customer, Redeem Additional Unlock Coupon, Purchase Additional Region, and

Unlock Additional GARMIN Unit. Do not click any of these hot-links especially the "Unlock Additional Garmin Unit" link.

If the unit information is right you should have an e-mail with your 25-character unlock code in it. Let me know if you have this and what version of Mapsource you are using by clicking Help => About Mapsource.

Edited by Rubberhead
I went through the whole process and was able to unlock everything just fine. Web site even shows that I did. But I've never been emailed the 25 digit code. Any ideas there, Rubberhead?

I never got mine emailed either. But you can get it from Mapsource by doing this:

Go to "Tools" and then "Unlock Regions"

Choose "Backup"

Name the file and save it.

Open the file with Notepad.

Mine was a 26 digit code followed by my GPS ID. The first character is ignored to give my 25 digit code.

There is another way to do this but I just can't remember off the top of my head.

I went through the whole process and was able to unlock everything just fine.  Web site even shows that I did.  But I've never been emailed the 25 digit code.  Any ideas there, Rubberhead?

I never got mine emailed either. But you can get it from Mapsource by doing this:

Choose "Backup"

Mine was a 26 digit code followed by my GPS ID. The first character is ignored to give my 25 digit code.

There is another way to do this but I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, I remember.

When you are in the "Unlock regions" screen, click on the region and then select "Properties". The code will be displayed.

Edited by jbclimber

jbclimber, thanks for the two tips!

Choose "Backup"

That one's so intuitive, I don't know how I could have missed that one! :rolleyes:

The process for getting at the unlock codes is very different in the 6.0x Mapsource beta code than in the previous versions of Mapsource, that was why I was asking. The Tools => Unlock Regions doesn't exist in the new beta code.

The process I described in my previous note was the "manual" way of getting to your unit and unlock information via the Internet. I was afraid Team Trout had entered a wrong unit ID. This could cause you to get a unlock code that opens the maps on the PC but your unit will not let you see the maps.

Note: If you used the unlock wizard, you would not have gone through the manual process. They didn't have the wizard when I got my first copy of Bluecharts so I've always used the manual process. The good thing about going through the manual process is that if you machine ever gets wacked or replaced, you'll have the codes stored (on CD in my case) so you can quickly rebuild your Mapsource products.

The process for getting at the unlock codes is very different in the 6.0x Mapsource beta code than in the previous versions of Mapsource, that was why I was asking.  The Tools => Unlock Regions doesn't exist in the new beta code.

It's just been moved to Utilities => Unlock Maps... in the new beta version.

Anyway, to clear up the confusion on the 7 digit registration code that Firehouse16 and I have mentioned, here is a screen shot of the unlock/registration process where it asks for that number. We have been able to unlock the maps just fine, but not successfully, at least to my knowledge, register our products since this piece of paper was missing.

40265_12600.jpg