Sw To Transfer Cache Using Usb

edtkwal

Hi

Just bought my Garmin GPSMap 60C which uses USB to interface the PC. And I do not seem to find any FW / SW software that use to down-load geo-cache point from the internet and then easily transfer them to my GPS.

I have tried = downloaded several, byt they are all Serial / COM defaulted, and none of these seem to support USB transfer.

Appreciate your help.

Kjell

If you have a Mapsource product to get the full benefit of your mapping GPS, you can do what I do:

Download the GPX files from geocaching.com

Convert the GPX files to a Mapsource MPS file using Gartrax

(http://www.p-terminator.nl/geocaching/gartrax.php?language=english)

Open the MPS file in Mapsource.

Save the waypoints to your GPS using the Transfer tool.

Hope this helps!

I'm not familiar with the 60CS...but I don't know why using Mapsource as a means to transfer waypoints would interfere with the geocache function. You can select what you want to send to the gps...waypoints only, tracks only, maps only, routes only, or any combination of those. So if the goal is to get waypoints only to your gps, then Mapsource will do that. Also, you're not limited to only gpx files with GarTrax. I use gpx since it's one type of download from geocaching.com. GarTrax doesn't appear to support LOC files. It does work with EasyGPS to convert waypoints into a format for Mapsource.

I didn't mean to complicate things for you. I just wanted you to know how I get my geocache waypoints into my gps...which is a Garmin eMap. Not nearly as sophisticated as your 60CS.

Yepp, this is what I ended up doing, and it works really well.

I down.load the GPX files, and the I use "EasyMPS" to vonvert to MapSource *.mps format, an dfrom there I can then down-load the cache points into my 60C using the USB nterface.

Works really smooth.

Thanks for all the helt. Found 5 caches today, amongst others my forst multi-cache.

Kjell

Okay, I have the same problem but, how do you use EasyGps to convert the files to a MapSource file. The save as funtion only gives me .gpx or .loc options?

thanks, ;)

Well, EasyMPS does not work that way, you do not actually save the GPX content as an MPS file. What you do us to identify the Mapsource executable (*.exe) and then basically convert the GPX file to MPS and launch MapSOurce in one go - that's the way it works.

Really smooth if you ask me.

Kjell

Is the waypoint a geocache icon in Mapsource? Maybe that would make a difference. Double-click the waypoint on the Mapsource screen and select Geocache from the drop-down box. Do that before transferring it to the GPS.

Edited by rick417
Is the waypoint a geocache icon in Mapsource? Maybe that would make a difference. Double-click the waypoint on the Mapsource screen and select Geocache from the drop-down box. Do that before transferring it to the GPS.

That's exactly it. The 60C(S) uses the "Geocaching" feature only for waypoints that have the appropriate icon (defaults to the "geocache" icon, which is a little treasure chest). If you're not a premium member, you only have access to the .loc files, which use the generic "waypoint" icon. You can switch it to the "geocache" icon in EasyGPS, MapSource or the GPSr itself.