Bomb Squad Called To Diffuse A Cache

:rolleyes:  I logged this cache it is at least 500 feet from any structure, you have to bushwack to reach it, and it is at the edge of a swampy lake. the intention was to make it easy for "Ladies" to find it! I thought the alarm thingy was a bit much, but hey lets not stifle creativity. As for the police, bomb squad and ATF, is it not our responsibility to inform land owners/manager about such caches. Perhaps if they had known none of this would have happened, and if they did know where they contacted first? Perhaps to avoid such happenings in the future we as acommunity should get together with local law enforcement agencies and inform them of the game. I fhtey had been aware of this cache in the first place it would not have been a problem, but then again perhaps they would see this as a prime way for someone to blow people up!

Easier for 'ladies' to find it?

I'm a cacher, I'm a lady, and quite honestly, I take offense to that. I know that I haven't gotten alot of finds, but I also have numerous health problems that provent me from getting out at times (bad pelvis, knees, etc)... Last cache I found I went out and was knee deep in mud, then elbow deep in mud when I lost my shoe, two miles through the woods, bug bites, etc, to get to a cache that was hidden in a log wiht spiders on it.

Why is it that people think that women are naturally weak? Any creature that can push a bowling ball through a keyhole (think - woman having a baby) is far from weak.

Ooh... maybe they'll start making gpsrs in a cutesy floral covering for us 'lady cachers'?

Well I agree with fly46 on this... I'm a lady and a cacher with over 300 finds and I didn't need a wire to help me find this cache.

As for the cache itself, I thought the wire idea and container were something totally "out of the box." Maybe the alarm was a bit much, but at least it was a new idea.

Too many caches these days have been placed without any thought put into it. At least someone was taking their time when coming up with a new idea.

First, thanks to all who support 'creativity' .

The cache was in Gibbstown, public park, in a BRIAR patch, no trail, in a hollow, standing tree by water. NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD BE WALKING THEIR DOG AT 9:00 IN THE EVENING

It was NOT a 'ladies cache', all the items were FOR ladies.

The cache CLEARLY states " it is for those of you that are 'new' [:lol:]

The wire was connected to a Geocache symbol ,4x4, laminated and hung in a tree.

The coordinates take you to the tag, near the tree, 15 feet or so, it was obvious where the cache was.

The note on the back of the tag said " pull for an extra clue"

Women are better cachers than the men, if you hang out with SBUX and her Mom: CCCooper. 8000 finds between 'em. :rolleyes:

This was hidden well, under the guidelines of Geocaching, all enjoyed my idea.

The box was made by one of my students... he was thrilled that I wanted to use it as one of my geocaching caches.

Another student gave me the idea for the use of the personal alarm, and gave me his.

Local officials need to be educated on our sport. Period.

it gives the bomb squads something to do.

they over react, they under react......

i was the manager of a lake club for several years. i came in one morning to find that someone had destroyed our life guard stands with homemade bombs full of carpenters chalk. i called the local police, who responded promptly....3 hours later....and didn't even make a report. that "bomber" blew the crap out of the neighborhood for a few weeks and never got caught.

I for one think this particual cache seems a very cool to search and find. However...

NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD BE WALKING THEIR DOG AT 9:00 IN THE EVENING

...I'm not even a dog owner, but I can imagine one saying something like I was walking my dog in a park NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD HIDE A GEOCACHE. I mean, the cache sure wasn't in a place where dog walking was forbidden after 9 pm?

You know, it's interesting the things I find I take for granted. I was telling my sister about geocaching and she was quite interested as she lives in England and wanted to know if there were any caches in her neighbourhood that she could go find with her niece. As we got to tallking she asked about the perceived bomb-threat that these stashed caches may cause as there had recently been a bomb scare in a park near to where she lives. Just got me thinking about the crazy world in which we live. I hope we never get to the point that we get too paranoid that we can no longer enjoy the small pleasures in life (like geocaching!) :rolleyes:

Edited by Galbion
I for one think this particual cache seems a very cool to search and find. However...
NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD BE WALKING THEIR DOG AT 9:00 IN THE EVENING

...I'm not even a dog owner, but I can imagine one saying something like I was walking my dog in a park NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD HIDE A GEOCACHE. I mean, the cache sure wasn't in a place where dog walking was forbidden after 9 pm?

I wouldnt take a dog to a field of stickers, near a swamp, at night. No lights.

The cache was in Gibbstown, public park, in a BRIAR patch, no trail, in a hollow, standing tree by water. NOWHERE NEAR WHERE ANYONE SHOULD BE WALKING THEIR DOG AT 9:00 IN THE EVENING

The cache CLEARLY states " it is for those of you that are 'new' [:lol:]

The coordinates take you to the tag, near the tree, 15 feet or so, it was obvious where the cache was.

Women are better cachers than the men, if you hang out with SBUX and her Mom: CCCooper. 8000 finds between 'em. :rolleyes:

The box was made by one of my students... he was thrilled that I wanted to use it as one of my geocaching caches.

Another student gave me the idea for the use of the personal alarm, and gave me his.

Just playing devil's advocate: was 'adequate' permission obtained?

Public park, no permission needed....

Wait til they find out just how many caches are out there....after enough "Geocache calls" they will start looking them up on the website before tying everyone up on it for 3 hours...even better yet, maybe they should get themselves a team name and start logging their finds every time they have to make a "cache run", they could rack up some serious numbers in no time!!

maybe we should start recommending clear plastic cache boxes rather than metal or camo-painted ones so that any suspicious passerby (or police, ranger, etc) can see what's in it without having to open it.

Unless the cache is out in the open and clearly visible a clear container isn't going to help.

You can't blame the public officials or the bomb squad for following procedures. If someone says bomb they have no choice but to follow procedure. Whether its labeled as a geocache or has someones name and phone number on it isn't going to make a difference after someone says the word bomb.

I think the trip wire idea is funny and very inventive but in retrospect shouldn't have been used. The sign and trip wire make this cache to easy for muggles to find. I would say that was not following the established guidelines for hiding a cache. Had the dog walker found it if not for the trip wire? If he still had would he have called it in as a bomb? The dog walker has as much right to be their as any geocacher so you can't blame the dog walker for finding it. You can blame him for being a little dense but not for being there. My bet is that he knew it wasn't a bomb , he either wanted 15 minutes of fame or he knew what it was and doesn't like the idea of people leaving trash containers in the woods.

edit: Not asking for permission is a bad idea. Even in a public park. After all aren't all of the lands we are currently banned from putting caches on owned by the public? Having the support and cooperation of the park people will go a long way. Where do you think the first call from the police went to after this was reported? My bet it was to the park asking them if they were aware of a box in the woods.

Edited by JeepCachr
Okay, not to derail the thread, or be adversarial about it, but why do I need to ask for permission in a public park? (Public=taxpayer=me and you, last time I looked)

That is the shell game that keeps the sleeping populace in slumber. But there really is no such thing as "public" anything - it is government owned. Check out how much land in this country is owned by the Federal government - it is a crime the Founding Fathers would be shocked at.

Strikes me as asking for trouble -- a plywood box and trip wire! Of course people were concerned. I always mark my caches clearly with 'geocache' and on the other side 'geocaching.com,' and do not use containers that look like trouble. In parks and other public places, I use tupperware containers made of clear plastic with see through lids, and only use ammo cans for caches out in the woods, where they are way off established trails and very well hidden -- i.e., never to be found except by carefully searching geocachers.

We could even put our phone numbers in a secure place on the GC website, so if anything ever came up, our caches could be directly placed to us, if they needed to contact us. 

I love this idea! There's little chance I'll post any personal information on my cache, but if there was some secure way to share my personal information to the proper authorities via the website, that would be cool!

Assuming money was no object, Geocaching.com could set up a 1-800 number and callers could punch in the waypoint coordinate or something to get info about a cache.

We could even put our phone numbers in a secure place on the GC website, so if anything ever came up, our caches could be directly placed to us, if they needed to contact us. 

I love this idea! There's little chance I'll post any personal information on my cache, but if there was some secure way to share my personal information to the proper authorities via the website, that would be cool!

Putting the gc.com URL on the outside along with the cache number would give them the ability to look it up. I don't see how giving them a phone number would make it any more likely to not be treated as a bomb. The problem I see is that they aren't going to pull it out to get a good look at it before they call it in as a bomb. If its partially covered up and someone thinks its suspicious they aren't likely going to go poking at it to read what it might say. If its not hidden well enough that someone can read it then it will be to easy to be accidently found and increase the chances of it being mistaken as a bomb.

Even if they know what it is as soon as someone reports it as a bomb they have to treat it as a bomb. This is the biggest obstacle that I can see for our game. Imagine what would happen if one geocache container gets blown up?

Putting the gc.com URL on the outside along with the cache number would give them the ability to look it up. I don't see how giving them a phone number would make it any more likely to not be treated as a bomb. The problem I see is that they aren't going to pull it out to get a good look at it before they call it in as a bomb. If its partially covered up and someone thinks its suspicious they aren't likely going to go poking at it to read what it might say. If its not hidden well enough that someone can read it then it will be to easy to be accidently found and increase the chances of it being mistaken as a bomb.

Even if they know what it is as soon as someone reports it as a bomb they have to treat it as a bomb. This is the biggest obstacle that I can see for our game. Imagine what would happen if one geocache container gets blown up?

Point taken, but not everyone has web access at a cache location. Phone service (thanks to cell phones) is now becoming much more common. But, chances are that the number (or any other contact method) isn't exposed since caches are supposed to be hidden.

Even if the proposed 1-800 number idea is implemented (and I don't expect it to), if all it said was something like "If you are listening to this message, the strange box you have called about is called a cache and is used as a high-tech game of hide and seek..." etc... It would at least inform the finder about the context of the box, but shouldn't put to rest any other fears about the container. It should probably still be examined with all precautions taken.

I think putting a tripwire on it was dumb.

You could end up with a lawsuit on your hands if someone got hurt. Most places I'd think it would be illegal in the first place. I know its illegal here to rig up anything like that, even on your own property, if it could cause harm to someone. I've heard of lawsuits from people where their kid ran into a clothes line that was too low.... In this sue happy world I'm not taking that chance.

If a person can sue McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on themselves, they'd sure as hell sue you for putting a wire in someone's path....

If I saw a tripwire attached to something, I'd call the police, whether it said GEOCACHE on it or not. Your taking a small chance opening ANYTHING, especially something left in the woods unsupervised....

Why take a bigger chance when it has a wire going from it?

Okay, not to derail the thread, or be adversarial about it, but why do I need to ask for permission in a public park? (Public=taxpayer=me and you, last time I looked)

I understand your point and do not think it is derailing this thread.

Like I said in my 1st post, I was just playing devil's advocate.

The reason I asked the question about permission was that in Lavarock1's post they said: "Local officials need to be educated on our sport. Period.". I figured that if permission was asked for, that that may have helped educate the local officials.

Hi all,

My second post here, and I'm rather new to the "sport". I just placed my first cache about two weeks ago, and having it mistakened for a bomb was one concern I had when choosing a container. For that reason, I decided upon a high-quailty clear container. Although my cache is very well hidden from plain sight, I didn't want to take any chances. The top is labled with the cache name, the geocaching URL, the waypoint name, my handle and date it was placed. The plastic is practically chrystal clear, and there would be no mistaking the contents are not explosive should a muggle happen upon it. I also chose not to place any personal information on or in the cache. I just don't freely publish it.

The cache CLEARLY states " it is for those of you that are 'new' [;)]

Women are better cachers than the men, if you hang out with SBUX and her Mom: CCCooper. 8000 finds between 'em. ;)

;) My apologies to Lavarock and the ladies for my misquote on the cache, I should've gone back and read before i posted. No offense was meant to the ladies or Lava.

And for the person who reported it, why would someone put a bomb in a tree???  Aiye aiye aiye, another JOE GOODCITIZEN strikes again.

Exactly! Why plant a bomb in a tree in the middle of nowhere??? (nowhere important strategically I mean)

It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that someone doing something, shall we say, clandestine, might want to place some potentially lethal devices on the approaches to their lair to slow down approaching law enforcement officials or competitors?

Sorry, but sometimes things designed to kill, hurt, or maim are placed because someone is just plain nuts. Strategic value doesn't enter into it at all.

All in all? Wires coming from a cache are a really, really bad idea.

The cache CLEARLY states " it is for those of you that are 'new' [:D]

The wire was connected to a Geocache symbol ,4x4,  laminated and hung in a tree.

Women are better cachers than the men, if you hang out with SBUX and her Mom: CCCooper. 8000 finds between 'em. B)

:D My apologies to Lavarock and the ladies for my misquote on the cache, I should've gone back and read before i posted. No offense was meant to the ladies or Lava.

Don't worry... Me going off about your comment was more because I was just tired of the mentality as a whole and you gave me lead in a somewhat public forum to voice my opinions. B)

Let's see...this pole is 3,05 meters long... B)

In my country laws are enacted by legislators elected by the citizens. Are things different in your country?

Yeah, slightly. In my country those who get the most votes get elected. :D

As for the topic, AFAIK there hasn't yet been any bomb threat caused by a geocache here. The Finnish Forest and Park Service (a governmental unit) actually has letterboxes of their own, and there's no reason they wouldn't accept geocaches as well.

This paranoia tha has swept the country sience 9/11 has gotten WAY out of control. Now people are suspicious of everything and are thiniking evary Arab has a bomb strapped to there chest. Look at it Suddam Hussein had NO LINK TO 9/11 AND WE STILL BOMBED HIM BECAUSE WE WHERE STILL IN THIS " EVARY ARAB IS A TERRORIST" MINDSET. Evan if terrorists did plant a bomb in a remote region of forest what impact would it have?

In my country laws are enacted by legislators elected by the citizens. Are things different in your country?

Yes, in my country (the good old USA) the legislators are bought by special interests with lots of money. Legalized bribery is the law of the land; the only thing necessary to make the bribe legal is to call it a 'campaign contribution'. The distinguished Senator from Mississippi received many millions of dollars in contributions in the last election, for which he was unopposed in both the primary and the general election. He gets to keep all of it. Just one example.

Fortunately the cache in question wasn't diffused, but allowed to remain in its solid state. :lol:

Yes, in my country (the good old USA) the legislators are bought by special interests with lots of money.

You mean special interests like AARP? If you're a senior citizen AARP is there to look out after YOUR interests. Are you a blue collar worker? The Teamsters, AFL-CIO, etc... are your special interests. Are you a teacher? Then its the NEA. Are you an environmentalist, then perhaps the Sierra Club is your voice in Washington. Are 2nd amendment rights important to you? Then the NRA is your special interest. Feel strongly about reproductive rights? Then Planned Parenthood is a special interest that may have your interests in mind. Are amimal rights important to you, then PETA is your special interest. Is he protection of the unborn your top issue, then National Right to Life Committee is fighting on your side in Washington. Do you dislike politicians who overspend on "pork"? Then there is the National Taxpayers Union. They are a special interest group. Are you gay? GLAD is out there stickking up homosexual rights. Are you female? There is NOW who is a special interest. Is preserving the traditional family your issue? Then the Family Research Council is working on your side.

The railing against special interests is an intellectually bankrupt argument. We all have interests and we form "special interest groups" to ensure our voice is heard.

Yeah, slightly. In my country those who get the most votes get elected

How's that different? Last time I looked it was Bush: 271

Gore: 266

Edited by briansnat
Yeah, slightly. In my country those who get the most votes get elected

How's that different? Last time I looked it was Bush: 271

Gore: 266

The way it's different is that the candidate who gets the most votes from the citizens gets elected. If, for example, candidate A gets 539947 votes more from the citizens than candidate B, (s)he gets elected.

Edit: phrasing

Edited by Divine
What regime might that be? In my country laws are enacted by legislators elected by the citizens. Are things different in your country?

Back when the Constitution was still heeded by the Federal Government, this was true. Judges make laws, and the President makes them (Executive Order). The IRS can controll you just as easily with their laws they can change with no oversight.

What's more, how can one abide by the laws if one does not know them. And how can one know them when even lawyers do not come close to knowing them all? There you have a situation where the authorities can be quite arbitrary by selectively enforcing laws.

You mean special interests like AARP? If you're a senior citizen AARP is there to look out after YOUR interests.

And to hell with anyone else.... Why is the SSA going bankrupt? Because the legislators increase payouts faster than economic growth DESPITE a growing ratio of those claiming it to those supporting it!

People getting their free money fix don't care - they are dying soon. Legislators don't care, they will retire on a pile of money before it collapses (they hope). Great dynamic there. :lol:

The difference between organizations like the AARP and NRA is that the former is out for money...somebody ELSE's money. The NRA is out for rights which don't cost a penny. So, they aren't really comparable.

Edited by SamLowrey
What's more, how can one abide by the laws if one does not know them. And how can one know them when even lawyers do not come close to knowing them all? There you have a situation where the authorities can be quite arbitrary by selectively enforcing laws.

I'm not a lawyer or a cop however I feel reasonably secure that I know the laws that pertain to me. If I am going to say, drive a car; it is my responsibility to understand the laws pertaining to that particular venture. Common sense dictates that the odds of me 'unknowingly' embezzling millions of dollars while driving the car are pretty slim. Now if I happen to be working in a bank, handling lots of cash, then I guess I had better figure out what the laws are. Hmmm, 'don't take something that isn't yours' seems to cover THAT one.

Rape, murder, prostitution, carjacking, jaywalking, barking, walking around with wire cutters in my pocket, driving barefoot, wearing white after Labor Day. You know I just can't think of any 'oops' didn't know THAT was illegal. Guess that was your point, right?

I'm not a lawyer or a cop however I feel reasonably secure that I know the laws that pertain to me. If I am going to say, drive a car; it is my responsibility to understand the laws pertaining to that particular venture. Common sense dictates that the odds of me 'unknowingly' embezzling millions of dollars while driving the car are pretty slim. Now if I happen to be working in a bank, handling lots of cash, then I guess I had better figure out what the laws are. Hmmm, 'don't take something that isn't yours' seems to cover THAT one.

Rape, murder, prostitution, carjacking, jaywalking, barking, walking around with wire cutters in my pocket, driving barefoot, wearing white after Labor Day. You know I just can't think of any 'oops' didn't know THAT was illegal. Guess that was your point, right?

How much cash can you carry? My first inclination would be "all you like, it is a free country." But, seems authorities have carte blanche to take it under the guise that it could be used for drugs. Gee, that sound like a law that can be abused? Completely arbitrarty and it is actually profitable for them to abuse it! :lol:

What if you have a rat in your house. Can you kill it?

Can you install any sort of toilet you like IN YOUR OWN HOME? Surprisingly, not! Funny how those who want to keep the government out of the bedroom (when that isn't even a fair assessment) have no problems with the government being in the bathroom. Think the Founding Fathers wanted a Federal Government involved with toilet choices? I think not.

...snip.... You know I just can't think of any 'oops' didn't know THAT was illegal. Guess that was your point, right?

The thing is, there are SO many laws on the books that are just NOT enforced - I can almost guarntee you that you violate a few EVERY day - yep, they were passed, and after a couple of years, no once cares anymore, or maybe it was JUST passed, and no one knows yet

Drive in New York State? Do you have a flagman walking in front of your car to warn the horses your coming? Yep, still on the books. Hundreds of ones like that - ones on tipping hats, about facing front in the elevator with hands clasped, and not talking - hundreds and thousands of small little laws that have LITTLE to do with basic common sense that get violated every day, and are usually ignored, but if someone wants to enforce them they can

BTW For a while, a few of these "dead" laws were being used to do drug stops in Brooklyn - what the local cops figured out was a stack of OLD laws, still on the books, but not enforced as the reason to do car stops (like the flagman law). Everyone KNEW the real reason - a way to get to pull you over, but...

We are getting off topic here so I am going to take one more swing at making a point then I will bow out. Feel free to have the last word of this brief exchange.

How much cash can you carry?  My first inclination would be "all you like, it is a free country."    But, seems authorities have carte blanche to take it under the guise that it could be used for drugs.  Gee, that sound like a law that can be abused?  Completely arbitrarty and it is actually profitable for them to abuse it!  :lol:

Umm, not any more than is needed. It isn't the 'man' that worries me. He gets his share right out of the paycheck, no need to be sneaky about it. I worry much more about the independent tax collectors who <gasp> take things that don't belong to them. (Feel free to refer to my post above for this little gem of wisdom)Again, common sense dictates that I do not have to worry about this because I'm not a drug dealer.

What if you have a rat in your house.  Can you kill it?

Actually, yes. In fact I kill one every 10 days via Burmese Python. Hmmm, taste like chicken.

Can you install any sort of toilet you like IN YOUR OWN HOME?  Surprisingly, not!    Funny how those who want to keep the government out of the bedroom (when that isn't even a fair assessment) have no problems with the government being in the bathroom.  Think the Founding Fathers wanted a Federal Government involved with toilet choices?  I think not.

Clearly a lot of thought went into this one. Wouldn't it be easier to just adjust your fiber intake?