Buyer's remorse

bcantrell

Bought the iFinder last night at WallyWorld. Based primarily on having owned another Lowrance GPS (212 I think) a while back, and I seemed to like it, (used for trout fishing, very light usage). Now getting into this GC thing, and reading here on the boards, no one seems to like them, so I'm thinking I should carry it back and get something else. I did do a search on 'iFinder' here in the forums, but nothing seemed really conclusive and/or recent.

Anyway, thanks for some help.

Brent

I bought a Sportrak Pro based primarily on reviews, cost and the ability to download maps. I have been quite satisfied with this product, but I think if I had to do it again and had the budget I would seriously look at the Gramin GPS V because it would give me driving directions to my starting point which would save me a lot of time since I have been working in locations that I am not familiar with, and it has some software features that I like a little better. Everything depends on how much you want to spend.

We have been Geocaching for a month. Bought an iFinder and started right out. Don't have much to compare it to, but it works great for us. The only negative is that, because it does not accept serial data input, you can't use EasyGPS with it. However, this has not been an issue with us.

The mapping features of the iFinder are very nice. You will need to buy the following to get the detailed maps, assuming that you just bought the basic model:

MapCreate6 ($130)

MMC Card Reader ($35)

MMC Cards (32MB recommended) ($25)

You may be interested in reading the review of this unit at http://www.gpsinformation.net/ifinder/ifinderrev.htm

Hope this helps.

The CacheRats

quote:
The only negative is that, because it does not accept serial data input, you can't use EasyGPS with it. However, this has not been an issue with us.

Until recently I wouldn't have thought this to be a negative. However, I have started using EasyGPS and love it. It reall does make things easy. As such, I wouldn't consider purchasing a GPSr that doesn't accept serial data input.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Personally I think the reason that you don't see the iFINDER here is because everyone for the most part use Garmins or Magellans. Now I think the reason for this is because of MARKETING, Lowrance doesn't market like these other two companies do therefore less market share when it comes to the handhelds. The iFINDER is a great device (although I have not handled one yet). I have owned a GM100 for 4 years now and have absolutely loved it. I recently bought a GPS V and am having some problems that I'm trying to work out as I type this. If everything works out with my V then I will be very happy with it other than it not having expandable memory. If things don't workout then I will be purchasing an iFINDER and not have a second thought about it. Don't go back. Where did you buy it from? and hang on to it for a while and I think you will love it.

As far as EasyGPS I have toyed around with it a little and am not too familiar with it YET. It seems to me you have little control over what goes into the GPSr. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't EasyGPS only put the waypoint name and location in for you? You can't edit the symbol or add comments at that point. Also it doesn't download the actual name of the cache/waypoint. Is that right or am I missing something? Anyway sorry to highjack your thread with the EasyGPS stuff but I don't think you could go wrong with an iFINDER just MHO.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

As far as EasyGPS I have toyed around with it a little and am not too familiar with it YET. It seems to me you have little control over what goes into the GPSr. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't EasyGPS only put the waypoint name and location in for you? You can't edit the symbol or add comments at that point. Also it doesn't download the actual name of the cache/waypoint. Is that right or am I missing something? Anyway sorry to highjack your thread with the EasyGPS stuff but I don't think you could go wrong with an iFINDER just MHO.

Well, I think you are wrong about EasyGPS. Like your own advice, use it for a while before you give up.

I used EasyGPS for a short while. I liked it so much, and saw the potential, I bought ExpertGPS. I love it, does everything I want it to do, and easily. The only problems I have had with it were caused by myself. If you can swing it, get ExpertGPS demo, try it for a while, then buy it.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Mike,

I will I just haven't had the time to look at it all that well. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the GPS V or not. Once I have that decided I will look into EasyGPS and ExpertGPS a little more. I would love to not have to manually input waypoints anymore.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

But I'm glad I did. My first GPS came yesterday by UPS and I think I just about killed my batteries already while inputing 11 local caches.

I don't want to do that again, talk about a waste of time.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna go look into EasyGps, I assume there is a link around here someplace.

FYI, I got the Meridian Platinum (Very Cool)

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Personally I think the reason that you don't see the iFINDER here is because everyone for the most part use Garmins or Magellans.

i agree with that, but i wont try to figure out why it is. icon_wink.gif

as for easygps, ive never used it, but i think thats because i dont have a data cable icon_razz.gif

the ppl who have used it seem to really like, so guess i should check it out.

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Infosponge:

Could you elaborate on that? What did ExpertGPS do that enabled you to find them?

With ExpertGPS, you can download satellite imagery and topo maps of the area around a cache. In my case, for finds in the woods, I can see the map and match up the imagery to layout a plan of attack. It saves time and besides, it is REALLY cool! I'll email what you could have had with you for your last cache.... and you can zoom in and out too!