Feedback On Meridian Gold?

My favorite feature is the SD card.

All this talk about loading maps and waypoints via USB on the new 60? I've been doing that for years.

I absolutely love having multiple waypoint files, and could not go back to having them all together. The UI is a little rough, having to cursor around everywhere... but it's not so bad as to make it not worth it.

I've had my complaints about the unit, but most of them have been resolved by firmware updates.

I like being able to search by address. I like that whenever I get together $100 I'll have autorouting. I've heard it's good, despite some weird "features."

But the reason I bought the thing is the expandable memory, and it's still what keeps the unit in my hands.

Jamie

All this talk about loading maps and waypoints via USB on the new 60? I've been doing that for years.

[ ... ]

But the reason I bought the thing is the expandable memory, and it's still what keeps the unit in my hands.

I recently attended a geocaching event some distance from home where folks were frothing about their 60's. When I listened to how excited they were about their fast map loads, I could definitely relate. Then I remembered that, after buying DirectRoute and generating maps of pretty much the whole midwest and STILL having enough space for the topo maps on the SD card, too, I hadn't actually uploaded a map since that day, I just flip them in and out as needed. The exandable memory allows you to always choose the right map for the task at hand.

Yup. My MeriGold kicks a** too. I have no desire to get a new GPS, and don't think I will for a long time. (Unless Magellan comes out with something new and amazing).

It's definitely funny about the USB thing. People talk about it like it's something new and amazing.

I havent loaded a map into my GPS in months either. It's nice to always have everything right there.

The SD card is awesome, and it's great to be able to save segmented tracks of your hikes. I often save a track going one way, and save a track of any offshoot trails I do, and then save a track of the entire days hike, wherever I went. It's cool to come home and put it on the computer, and see exactly where you went.

I have Direct Route, (autorouting) and it's definitely very cool, despite it's quirks. I liked the MeriGold a lot before I used autorouting though, and would recommend it anyway, without the autorouting.

I recently attended a geocaching event some distance from home...

On this note... I've swapped waypoints with folks at events more than once. I'd take a long-distance trip to Louisiana, and someone gave me all the local waypoints from his Meridian to mine via SD. Took like a minute.

At one particular event, he had his PDA with him that also accepted SD cards (no coincidence, BTW) and utilizing his PDA, we were able to copy a topo map of the area from his Meridian to mine in about two minutes.

Of course, I believe that violates the terms of the software, but since we both own the software, I think it could slide, and it was really convenient.

I do wish the screen resolution was better. I look at some of the eTrex units and they are so much crisper.

Jamie

Magellan's website mentions a compass feature on this model (not the 3-axis type of the Platinum model of course.) So, guessing it doesn't orient with a magnetic north indication but instead has something like the 315, with an arrow pointing toward the fix over a 360 degree compass for an indication of direction?