Dark Cache Clearer Alert

Papakas

I wonder if now might be a good time for everyone to spring clean their caches? That way we will know if any others have been hit. After all, lots of caches dont have the same frequency of finds during the winter as they do during the summer. Any number of caches could have been wiped out without the owner being aware.

I've watched some of the posts in the US forum about cache trashers and its really horrible to see. It amazes me that someone can deliberately go out and spoil someones fun like this.

Tiffany :rolleyes:

It amazes me that someone can deliberately go out and spoil someones fun like this.

I'm afraid it neither amazes nor surprises a cynic like me.

ditto that ....

i'm really suprised that since we started caching we haven't heard of a lot more going awol/vandalised. fingers crossed this is a one-off incident.

I may be jumping to conclusions, however is it a coincidence that this TB hotel and the one placed near Cardiff airport have been hit

See the quote taken from elsewhere in these forums.

I am sorry to say that Cardiff Wales Airport Bug Hotel has been removed from it's original location and was placed near an approach road to the airport. It was found by the airport security and then reported to the Police stationed at the airport. The cache box was retrieved by the Police and after a period of time was destroyed. 

With todays terriorist problems, there may be a call to pull any sites near to high security areas like airports.

Sorry to anyone planning to use the Bug Hotel, I will get another site up and running in the near future, but not near the airport.

Regards to all.

Safe Geocacheing

Colin King. (GW1VRW)

Could it be that someone is targeting TB hotels, as these tend to be more personal than hitting a cache...... ARGH! :P

The "dark cache clearer" is obviously someone with extremely pathetic deep rooted problems. He (because women tend to create and not destroy) will run into one or all of three of the following groups:

1/ Someone who isnt very likeable / popular (most probably physically unpresentable or mentally deficient) Someone who finds it hard to communicate with people and doesnt have a positive view of himself.

2/ Someone who is having personal problems. They feel that they cant control the course of their life and so exerts cowardly actions of pointless destruction at people who cant reprimand him. This is the worst kind of person as they hide their own insecurities behind a facade, namely the "dark cache clearer". He most probably reads the logs and feels empowered by his actions whereas all he really wants to do deep down is become fetal again in his mothers protecting arms.

3/ Someone of a very low IQ. Someone so stupid that they think that these actions actually have an affect on peoples lives.

The main thing is that the Dark cache clearer is a COWARD and nothing more! Pity him as his life is filled with nothing!

The main thing is that the Dark cache clearer is a COWARD and nothing more! Pity him as his life is filled with nothing!

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel! ;)

I agree, though. Typically people who do this sort of thing are acting out to make up for some shortcomings in their personal lives.

I've made this suggestion for those people here in the states that have had caches plundered by these idiots: claymore mines.

Set up a new, or use an existing, TB hotel, only load it with a claymore mine. Alert any locals of the setup so as not to inadvertently rid the world of a respectable cacher, then sit back and listen for the distant rumble which will tell you that you no longer have a cache-thief to worry about.

So far, no one has taken my advice. :P

I was going to try Gemma's Gems on the 2nd however I got distracted by a failed attempt on Cut Down Cache and a succesful attempt at drinking too much. I would have been very disappointed if I had have traveled that distance and found it trashed, as I am sure most people would.

This guy obviously thinks he's funny. However sounds more like a waste of a claymore

Remember this is attention seeking behaviour so the fewer unnecessary, excited, threatening and insulting comments the better.

We need this person to get bored, so the more posts about them the more feedback they are getting and the longer they will continue. We should adopt normal anti-troll behaviour and not discuss his actions.

I would suggest a simple protocol. People who find one of his cards in a trashed cache should simply post to the owner of the cache, and post to this thread to announce they have done so. People should not post to this thread to discuss his actions or to make comments about him or what should be done about it.

People shoud also keep comments on cache pages to the absolute minimum, and limit them to the facts. He should soon get bored if we do that.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

Sorry to add the oxygen of speculation to this sad business, but since most the caches hit have been in the Brum area, and cut down is a rather hard target to find if you hadn't done it before, would it be wrong to imagine this person is an 'ex' cacher with a grudge? Does anyone know of anyone in that general area who might fit that description?

SP

Right plan of action....

One of us hang out at each cache in the vacinity of Birmingham all day Saturday from 9am to 10pm and the laws of averages say we will cache him :D

Once caught, empty his body of organs and leave a note:

You have been found by the "Dark cacher killer" :D

Nice....what a loser! :o

Edited by Ben Pid

Once caught, empty his body of organs and leave a note:

You have been found by the "Dark cacher killer" :o

ROFLMAO! you just made me spatter noodles all over my keyboard...

Now I'm going to have to get a toothpick to winkle them out of all the cracks...

He must read these forums - what other gratification can he get? This is as close as it gets to revisiting the scene of the crime. He is clearly bright enough to use a GPS, so he will be bright enough to find and log a cache and return some time later to trash it, or even, not log it at all, the sneak.

I found a cleared cache and was mildly amused at the discovery of an original evil in such a friendly world, but am disappointed to see that there are cache trashers in the USA. This chap is not an original, he is just copying someone elses idea, so maybe he's not as bright as all that.

Stay chilled, he's irritating, but nothing else.

It amazes me that someone can deliberately go out and spoil someones fun like this.

I'm afraid it neither amazes nor surprises a cynic like me.

ditto that ....

i'm really suprised that since we started caching we haven't heard of a lot more going awol/vandalised. fingers crossed this is a one-off incident.

Double ditto - Don't give them the satisfaction! They are only laughing at the thought of people being upset by it. I say reset the cache and put a note in for the "Dark Cache Clearer" stating that whatever they do they will not spoil the fun and the cache will be reset :unsure:

The Hokesters