Hudson Highlands Jaunt

briansnat

The parking coords given are really just about right on with the parking coords given on the Funnel cache page which are: N41 25.580 W073 57.925 In the summer there are tons of cars parked along the road there. Maybe tomorrow it will be less crowded. The roadside could use a trash out, but it's like shovelling sand against the tide sometimes.

I'm in as well. If anyone wants to carpool out of Essex county, NJ, fire me an email

Later,

Batonka

I guess we'll recognize you by that hat?

Unfortunately, the hat is no longer in my possession. :D I will, of course, explain it tomorrow :P

Batonka

Well the pics from this meetup will be interesting with Mr Nudecacher. Maybe he's on to something. Howabout a locationless ( reverse) cache, take a picture holding you Gps with one hand and your ....... with the other hand. I'm sure that would give the approver a laugh.

okay maybe not

Now, now, let's not derail THIS thread! You got me all distracted! I'm sorry to report Ttepee cannot make this event. Car troubles and commitments. Now who will help me hold up the rear? (no wisecracks please!)

I got all the stuff to make wraps, so I'll have food for plenty.

Domestic or Import?

On a serious note, I can't carpool because I have a two seater pickup and my sister , AsileRd , is coming also. But I was wondering if anyone would want to meet up someplace on the way up so I could follow them. I'm coming from Clifton so maybe a coffe shop or gas station on the way. I'm not that sure how to get up there.

See you guys tomorrow morning at 8:30.

If someone brings a keg - I'll volunteer to carry it (as long as I don't have to carry the Oxygen bottles and CPR kit in case NJAdmin makes an appearance - although I'd heard on pretty good authority that her parole officer won't let her leave NJ without proper supervision.... :D )

067986f7-3da1-4f5f-9c93-bb6078ca0e5d.jpg

Edited by HartClimbs

This thread is killing me. I would love to go but I would have to bring Future Perfect Tommy with me and, although it would be a labor of love for me to carry the boy up the trail, I'm sure the rest of you would not appreciate having to haul my carcass back down. :D And the ATV is still in the shop! :D Seriously, I am green with envy. :P have fun!

Can I bring something ( cold cuts, pita wraps, etc) ? This is my first meetup so let me know what I should bring.

Pardon me, but I do believe I said in the post above you that I am preparing wraps for the day. Feel free to bring more, but I'm not carrying alll these sandwiches up the hill! Or I might be if Ttepee does come we might come up the backside from Fishkill Rd, since we've done some of the caches on the loop already. In that case I'll meet you up top with the food. I'll have my FRS radio with me.

You should bring water, hiking stick, toilet paper, topo maps of the area, cache pages or PDA, first aid kit, GPS, extra batteries, and trade items and CITO kit. And FRS radio if you have them - channel 2.

Pardon me, but I do believe I said in the post above you that I am preparing wraps for the day. Feel free to bring more, but I'm not carrying alll these sandwiches up the hill! Or I might be if Ttepee does come we might come up the backside from Fishkill Rd, since we've done some of the caches on the loop already. In that case I'll meet you up top with the food. I'll have my FRS radio with me.

When you say at top, you mean near the Mt Taurus cache? How will we know its you and not an imposter? Oh yeah, the greeting I mentioned here.

Good news everyone. I just received an e-mail from a prominent geocacher from the Pacific Northwest who is in the area and will be meeting us tomorrow to join the hunt.  I hope you all agree that its no "crime" to have him along.  I don't want to keep you in suspense,  so here's his profile.

This sounds like fun and the map looks like it shows an area that would be good for nude caching. But I'm afraid that I can't make it this time. Maybe next time. :D

OK, temps in the 40's and rain....our kind of day! The REAL Quoddy and I will see you there. Is anyone stopping on the way there for breakfast? 8:30 is almost the middle of the day for me, and I'll have to kill some time enroute.

Middle of the day? I couldn't tell you if the sun is out at 8:30. It's gonna be an interesting morning.

When you say at top, you mean near the Mt Taurus cache? How will we know its you and not an imposter? Oh yeah, the greeting I mentioned here.

Or BrianSnat, you could just remember me from the other times we've met. Tomorrow I might look like this:

52133_1400.jpg

And I'll be skipping in circles around you singing loudly Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he! But I'll only do that if you give me the correct question!

Edited by Planet
8:30 is almost the middle of the day for me, and I'll have to kill some time enroute.

I'm guessing we work the same shift. I work 11pm to 7 am so I think I know what you mean by 830 being the middle of the day. I'm leaving work a few hours early tonight so I should be fine tomorrow.

If you plan on going to Breakneck I think it will be a bit tough for the pooches (though I am all for them coming) - there is a bit of rock scrambling and the elevation can be tricky in spots -

so, I guess use your judgement - you know them better than I.

I got a big ziplock of trail mix - all y'all feel free to dig in.

Dogs could have trouble getting to "Where's the Trail" and "Detritus the Troll", it depends on the dog. My dog used to pick up deer paths and find her way up Breakneck, sometimes I would give her a boost. It could be rough on a city slicker, dog or human. Taurus is a big mother hill, but has no ledges like Breakneck.

;) Good luck everyone on this cache event, I am sorry that I can't be part of it, but I went out today and did a big huge maintenance trip to ensure that all caches are still there and I found all including gates of the hudson from JohnBoy, whereever it was needet, I stocked up but all in all the caches are in realy good condition. Again, sorry I can't join you all, mostly Ttepee and Planet though.

It is 3:22 am, just got back from NYC going to bed now and then work at 9:30am

Have a great time, I hope you won't get too frustrated with my caches.

So Long; Eagleflyby

Planet,

After all this talk, I better show up, or you all will write me off as one of those keyboard jockeys who whimp out when the boots hit the ground. I'll see you at Little Stony Point. FRMS radios are okay, but bring cell phones too, we're likely to be scattered all over the mountain. We'll exchange numbers before we start. Oh and better bring an Ace bandage too. Heh! Heh! Not for yourself, you understand, but for any lesser mortals who may fall by the wayside.

Well I just got home and put everything away. It was a terrific day of hiking and caching and chit chatting. I don't know the official count but I think there was 20 or so people there and 3 very energetic dogs.

The Skully & Mulder gals were very impressive. Taylor, Nicole and Ashley amazed us all.

Many of us hit the 7 caches we set out for a couple bagged 8 and maybe more. It was a blast and I'm pretty sure I spoke at least a little bit with everyone one. Signing the log book at each cache took 15 mins with all the people that needed to sign it.

Can't wait to do it again and see everyone and hopefully some others too.

Time to go log the finds....

David

[Team DEMP]

23 people! 3 dogs! 7+ miles! and Ttepee and i got one cache! We'd done all the others on the loop, and saved Where's the Trail for when we go up breakneck Ridge. Great day, lots of fun, good food after, and home before dark. They took pics. Check the cache logs later. What a day! Thanks guys!

here have a few more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how much fun it was.

I decided at the last minute to join in on this one. Wow am I glad I did. A great group to spend the day caching with. Twenty something cachers. jonboy led us on a great 9 hr tour on some great trails, with some of the best views that can be found. Planets wraps were delicious. I found MY travel bug "What do these keys go to anyway?" in one of the caches. I last saw it in Florida when I set it loose last November. Oh there were caches too. 9 of them....

Thanks briansnat for setting this in motion.

Way too cool! ;)