Gps Map60c For $199

PDOP's

I'm with you keith, I phoned up the CT in Bowmanville this morning and gave them the SKU code to check on the price, ah! she said "your the first to call". I was told a price correction had already been issued before the catalog was out.

dadgum!!!!!!! Thought it was too good to be true.

I have asked for one to be ordered, you never know who you end up talking with at the store.. if you make a good case..you might get lucky :rolleyes:

GPS Central has the same model for $529.95 a $170 difference. Also for the difference I'd get the 60CS for $589. :lol:

Murfster <_<

Edited by murfster

I talked with a CTC owner, and in his words "Oh boy, Corporate going to take a beating on this one!!" . He stated that my best bet was to call the customer service number in the catalogue, and get them to start a file on your claim for the reduced pricing. Then if your plea is accepted, they will ask which store you want to deal with, and then send them a fax authorizing them to sell it at the reduced price and giving the store a flex credit for the difference. Otherwise the store owner takes the hit for the difference in pricing. So if you get along with your local dealer and don't want them to suffer the customer service is the way to go.

There is a disclaimer re pricing on page 379, but it is normally meant to handle the occasional 'oops, <_< it says the clothspins come in blue but that is a typo' not a $500 difference :rolleyes::lol::o on a major/high profile item. So we have a chance here.

Good luck everyone, but act quickly.

I kinda goofed as I went in with no catalogue but had to wait as they UNPACKED their brand new catalogues. I goofed again as they have the GPSMAP60C but it was still at the back. The sales person informed me that the catalogue had a typo (yeah, big surprise to me) but that they would have the unit for sale at $699 on Monday. So.... I told a good friend of mine the scoop. He had his catalogue, and he'll go in on Monday and ask for the item at catalogue price. Well... it's worth trying.

Cheerio :rolleyes:

i went in about 10 mins after i got the catalogue and talked to one of the higher ups at the store and playing my prick customer role i told him it was their screwup and i wanted it at the catalogue price. ive seen this done sucessfully a million times but hes wasnt going to budge. feeling bad for being a dink about this i appologized and warned him that there might be a few people coming in for this. he typed the code for the garmin into the computer and the price came up to be $699.99. he also said that hes never seen a price typo this big before. i think it might be worth while trying another ct or 2 and try to pull this off. crappy-t on upper james in Hamilton is a no go, so dont bother.

nothingface

There is a disclaimer re pricing on page 379, but it is normally meant to handle the occasional 'oops, :rolleyes: it says the clothspins come in blue but that is a typo' not a $500 difference :lol::lol::lol: on a major/high profile item. So we have a chance here.

The disclaimer is as follows;

Although great car is taken in the production of this cataliuge, typographical, illistrative or pricing errors may occur. We reserve the right to correct any errors. Our Dealers are notified immediately of any catalouge errors so that customers can receive an explaination at time of purchase. Market conditions may cause price to change with out notice.

I talked with CTC Customer Service yesterday and they said "We have sent out an official price correction to all our stores, on March 24th, so the corporate office is no longer responsible for honouring the catalogue pricing error." That was in regards to my posting above about dealing with the Customer Service as the first step so that option is now closed to us. But the stores and their employees are responsible for being aware that there is a pricing/catalogue error and inform the customer of the same. They are also supposed to have the 'error notice/correction' posted in a visable location at the front of the store and/or at the display with the actual product. If the store personelle are being made aware, for the first time, of the error by a customer they are supposed to phone customer service and get clarification on the pricing. If they won't honour the catalogue pricing and haven't taken the above steps there is a route we can take in the form of filing a complaint with customer services re the store not honouring a catalogue price. Customer service will follow up with a phone call and letter to the store manager/owner and it is then up to that manager/owner to resolve the issue/complaint with the customer. I have already dealt with 2 stores that were not aware of the error nor were they aware of the corporate's price correction alert (at least one of the people I spoke with was the actual owner).

Has anyone tried using the catalogue for a price match with another store that has the policy of "We will match/beat any of our competitions prices on identical products, just provide us with the catalogue or flyer in which the price is shown."?

It certainly seems like a lot of work for us to be going to, but shoot, it is $500.00 bucks.

Edited by MedicP1
Why not show CT the online price elsewhere, and have them beat it by a % of the difference?

Canadazuuk, if I understand your post, it might eventually be a path to take. But this $500 difference in pricing, while it is still an option viable to us, can't be touched by a 'meet or beat pricing' policy.

I'm curious if anyone managed to successfully get the GPS for $199 from Canadian Tire? What page of the Catalog is it listed on anyways?

I wonder if Magellan will be coming out with a similar (priced) unit to compete with the 60c/s (although it's hard to justify spending that much on a GPS, considering I already have a GPS), as I am sure they would be losing a lot of business here. My SporTrak Pro is getting to be in pretty rough rape with the case cracks and with my battery comparment no longer being able to screw in properly, and having to use a lot of force to remove and insert the battery compartment. And I would prefer to stick with Magellan because I already have the Map software and wouldn't want to have to buy new mapping software for the Garmin.

Is it just me or do others feel that Canadian Tire prices are way over priced?!

Yes they're high but they're also everywhere ;) Some people have got a good deal by price matching them against other stores but I'd rather shop online from GPSCentral.ca. They have the best prices and the Alberta advantage (No PST) for everyone.

My dad got me two, presently on order, from a Northern Ontario CTC. They assured him they would honour the $199.99 price. Theyare due to arrive later this week, I'll keep you updated. I have been a devout Mag315 fan, it's the only unit I've ever had so it will be interesting to see what the other side has to offer up.

Not in BC!

I called our local C-T and they hadn't received any correction thus far, and have placed one aside at the catalogue price of $199. They have since corrected the price, but are still selling me one unit @ $199. For you folks back east, try making a few phone calls out west - you may be in luck!

Cheers,

- Matt

I'd be interested in seeing the receipt for your purchase, else quite honestly I don't believe you got it for $199. And that's in person, not some made up photoshop receipt you'll post on here. Show me and I'll believe you.

Canadian Tire "bottled up" this one up pretty fast.

Received the catalogue last Wednesday, and it did state $199. Called the Chilliwack site, and the price correction notice had already been sent. They referred me to corporate headquarters and they referred me to the disclaimer at the back of the catalogue :) .

So....tried upcountry....Prince George, no go.....then tried Quesnel. The sales associate there said, "Whoa, that's a big goof on someone's part." She then pulled up the item # and an official correction had already been done; however, she did put us in contact with the store manager. After barking up that tree, we gave in ..... no 60c for $199. It was worth a try.... :)

Well no luck on my part, the owner called my dad when theyarrived and did a big 'ummm geee there is actually a price correction on those units and I won't be able to sell them at the $199.99 after all, sorry.' So I guess I'll have to keep relying on my MAG315 for a while yet.

Well, it wasn't a $199 deal, but I did take advantage of the Canadian Tire price match guarantee.

Both RadioWorld and GPSCentral have the 60C for $550, so, according to the Canadian Tire guarantee they matched that price. Plus, I got the normal $10 Cdn Tire money, PLUS another $55 in Cdn Tire money based on the price match guarantee.

My cost, not including taxes... $485 A long way from the $700 CT catalogue price!

Well, it wasn't a $199 deal, but I did take advantage of the Canadian Tire price match guarantee.

Both RadioWorld and GPSCentral have the 60C for $550, so, according to the Canadian Tire guarantee they matched that price.  Plus, I got the normal $10 Cdn Tire money, PLUS another $55 in Cdn Tire money based on the price match guarantee.

My cost, not including taxes...  $485  A long way from the $700 CT catalogue price!

We tried the price match idea today at Canadian Tire. First off we were not allowed to take a look at it unless we were going to buy it. Then the employee had to call upstairs to check if they would price match it. While he was on hold he asked again if were going to buy it if they price matched it. After all the run around they would not price match it. Well lets just say that its in the mail from GPS Central.

I had the same sort of problem with Trinity Common CT. Refused to price match until manager could verify that radioworld was real place, all but said that I was scamming them. Georgetown was 1000% better to deal with, no issue with price matching.

I called the corp head office and complained.

Baston

•  
  • The link doesn't work.  Try this:  GPSCity

• They've just dropped their price to $429.95

• Most important:  That is U.S. dollars!  = $575.85 Cdn.

• TrimblesTrek still got the better deal.

That is the US store. There is a Canadian store that is different.

$530 Canadian Dollars from the Canadian Store.

Go to www.gpscity.ca and browse yourself.

Maybe this link will work direct

Edited by Red90

This reply is to igsonline. This is not meant as a flame but a statement of MY views on CT and price matching.

I have no issues with my moral standards in reference to taking advantage of an offer to price match. Canadian Tire has stated in plain writing that they will price match on any item provided it is the EXACT same item and the price that you are asking them to match on is not from a wholesale warehouse ie Costco etc or a bankrupt sale. That I consider a fair request. So some of us have taken advantage of the offer. But some CT stores have decided to not play by their own rules. And that is morally wrong as well as legally wrong. :lol:

Had Walmart carried the same unit I would hold them to there price matching policy as well.

In my opinion, CT is price gouging on the the unit. If I remember correctly the unit cost is around $350.00 US, even with exchange and shipping. $700.00 CND is too high when most other retailers are selling it for 529.00 to 600.00.

Baston AKA John

Edited by Baston

Fair enough Couparangus

But CT would be wise to compare their price to other Canadian Garmin dealers and set their price in line with the other dealers. I am quite sure that CT gets the units a volume discounted price.

But then again I am not privy to the innerworking of the great CT gods. :mad:

Baston

what I was trying to say is you all know as well as I do that ct made a mistake

and we all know that there is no way in hell ct could sell that for $199 and even when we call and ask ct if they are sure it's $199 ct says it was a mistake.

and we are sorry. for give us

I would not push ct to give you something we all know must have been an honest mistake and no one with good morals should hold this mistake against ct for there own gain knowing it was a mistake.

to me it's steeling.

that's just my 2 cents

thanks

Jason

I couldn't help but try again at the Huntsville, Ontario CT. It nearly worked. The sales lady was v. confused at the difference and was quite willing to pursue the issue until she saw the notice and then it was basically game over.

And as for issues of morality and conscience, I have no problem whatsoever looking for a bargain especially in a store like CT that is charging well over $150 over the price of this unit at most other stores (like GPS Central and Prairie Geomatics). But hey, them's just my 2 cents.

what I was trying to say is you all know as well as I do that ct made a mistake

and we all know that there is no way in hell ct could sell that for $199 and even when we call and ask ct if they are sure it's $199 ct says it was a mistake.

and we are sorry. for give us

I would not push ct to give you something we all know must have been an honest mistake and no one with good morals should hold this mistake against ct for there own gain knowing it was a mistake.

to me it's steeling.

that's just my 2 cents

thanks

Jason

1st - WTF is with that font? It's pretty l337 :rolleyes:

2nd - It's called false advertising, companies get taken to court for it all the time. Perhaps if they don't want to get screwed over by consumers they should hire some high school kid at $10 an hour to proof read their catalogue. Who cares if it took even 40 Hrs to do. That's only $400, geez even if the person was REALLY slow it'd only be $800, I'm sure they've lost more then that being held to their price on this one mistake alone.

Just as they say buyer beware I say retailers beware. BTW I've never done this personally but I don't see the big deal. I've heard much worse, ie: Zellers does price matching. So goto walmart.com (the US site) print off the page for one of their new DVDs (er whatever you're after) take it to a CDN Zellers and they're like sure we'll price match that it's walmart they're a CDN store. Perhaps their emps should take an IQ test before being hired....DUH! Or maybe their policy should be to actually check with the outfit being matched before making the deal.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

2nd - It's called false advertising, companies get taken to court for it all the time. Perhaps if they don't want to get screwed over by consumers they should hire some high school kid at $10 an hour to proof read their catalogue. Who cares if it took even 40 Hrs to do. That's only $400, geez even if the person was REALLY slow it'd only be $800, I'm sure they've lost more then that being held to their price on this one mistake alone.

It's a simple mistake, get over it.

It's a simple mistake, get over it.

That was kinda my point....apparently it was too obvious

Anyhow...we should obviously let this go since people are starting to get bent outta shape

Happy Caching All!

Thorin

Edited by thorin

Are there are Canadian Tire store in the Toronto area that actually has the 60C? I check the website for availability and thought that I found a store with it (teh largest one in GTA, Markham Rd). I went to the store and they don't even have the 60C in their store computer. Not because it's out of stock, it just doesn't exists. The sales clerk told me that the website availability info is worthless because it doesn't have any correlation with the store inventory data.

I tried a few more stores but just gave up. So much for the CT$ price-match thing. I just went over to RadioWorld and picked it up for the GPSCity price-match.