Tapping The Local Knowledge

Manta

Greetings all.

My family and I will be visiting NZ for the first time in Sep04 doing a whirlwind tour of the main centres. As our time will be very limited, I'd appreciate some suggestions as to some good caches that won't take all day to get to or locate.

Places we'll be going: Auckland, Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Mt Cook, Fox/Franz Josef Glaciers, Greymouth (not necessarily in that order!)

Happy to receive any tips at all. :bad:

Simon.

Hi Simon, have a look at this map, which you can zoom into for better detail, to get an idea of where the caches are. This red markers on the map link you to the actual cache page.

NZ caches map

I live in Te Anau so have placed a few close to Milford Road. I think the journey into Milford Sound is far better than the destination so have placed these to encourage stops along the way to take in the beauty and grandeur. All are very easy to get to and find - the emphasis being on sharing the beauty rather than a difficult find.

The main site for NZ forums is here where you will get lots of helful responses I'm sure if you place your query.

You'll see on the map that Mount Cook has a cache nearby at Tasman Glacier. With limited time though I'd recommend driving as far as you can before walking.

Good luck with the planning - Tony

Hi Simon,

I recommend doing "Hole in Rock" which is between Taupo and Rotorua. It's a place of great significance as Maori legend has it, as being where a Maori Warrior went and hid when two tribes were fighting over land.

Another place to check out is Huka Falls in Taupo. Well worth the short detour.

Hope you enjoy yourself when you get over here, and will look foward to reading your posts.

;)

Hi Simon,

:P I've deliberately placed most of my caches (West Coast of the South Island) in scenic locations and most of them are relatively straight forward, because I know the region is frequented by tourists.

:P I've found that the difficulty ratings are a good indication of how easy NZ caches are, although people do over rate the difficulty on some of the trickier caches. (ie: ratings of 4's for what should probably be rated as 3's.

Most of the caches that I've done (set by other cachers) are at interesting places, which tourists might not otherwise find. ALthough caches in cities tend to emphasise the hunt rather than a scenic location.

;) Reading cache descriptions and finder logs on caches that you're considering doing will help you sort the interesting from the mundane.

Regards,

Moneydork.

Edited by Moneydork