Environmental Impasse

Criminal

I need help on how to make a stump look old and weathered.

I am placing a cache in sort of reverse order. I already have the coordinates I want to use (predetermined as part of a puzzle) and when I went out to survey the site, there’s this mondo big tree on the spot. So with the tree out of the way, I just have to hollow out the stump to make the cache can fit down inside. But the business where the tree is located (in their front lawn) is only closed on Sunday. So I need to make the stump look old and weathered in only one day. What do I use, paint?

Also, does anybody want any firewood?

I am placing a cache in sort of reverse order.  I already have the coordinates I want to use (predetermined as part of a puzzle) and when I went out to survey the site, there’s this mondo big tree on the spot.  So with the tree out of the way, I just have to hollow out the stump to make the cache can fit down inside.  But the business where the tree is located (in their front lawn) is only closed on Sunday.  So I need to make the stump look old and weathered in only one day.  What do I use, paint?

Am I the only one thinking that criminal is doing this without the land owners consent or even knowledge? Else why does he need to hid the fact that he's cutting down their tree? Not only could he go to jail (a place he's obviously familar with) he could be liable for some pretty steep damages.

Am I the only one thinking that criminal is doing this without the land owners consent or even knowledge? Else why does he need to hid the fact that he's cutting down their tree? Not only could he go to jail (a place he's obviously familar with) he could be liable for some pretty steep damages.

Did Criminal already perpetuate this heinous act??

Does this stump want to made old before its time???

Who is going to speak for the trees????

Uh, no, I didn't think that at all.

Criminal talks a good game, but I don't think he's cutting down someone else's property without permission.

:bad:;):bad:;)

Uh... I'm laughing WITH you not at you. ;)

For the record, unless it is pine, you can use a solution of iron sulfate and water. Iron sulfate can be purchased at most garden centers, apparently roses like it. This is will give a weathered "barn wood" look to it. I usually apply it with a sprayer, and rinse it off with straight water almost as quickly as you put it on. May take some trial and error, if you get too heavy handed with it it will give a charcoal grey instead of the more desirable light grey. Try it on luaun first. One big plus is that it is biodegradable, and gives the most realistic "barn wood" look I have ever found. Trying to paint "age" is a pretty complex project, that could be done quickly, but takes quite a bit of skill to make it look realistic. Most folks end up with something that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I am placing a cache in sort of reverse order. I already have the coordinates I want to use (predetermined as part of a puzzle) and when I went out to survey the site, there’s this mondo big tree on the spot. So with the tree out of the way, I just have to hollow out the stump to make the cache can fit down inside. But the business where the tree is located (in their front lawn) is only closed on Sunday. So I need to make the stump look old and weathered in only one day. What do I use, paint?

You know... it might be a little more work, but I have this stump in my yard that I need to get rid of. We could just grind that "new" one down and replace it with the old weathered one. Whaddayasay?

Don't mess with making it match. You have probably seen one of those trails where cut the tree from across the trail and leave all the cut segments laying about each side of the trail. Add another piece by placing your fresh cut, hollowed out log segment in the same area and see if anyone finds it.

What I noticed is how he didn't mention agreement, permission, or knowledge from the land owner.

The land owner need not know..and Criminal can keep a perfect 'never been'

record:

Saturday 1830, remove grass from entire property under cover of darkness.

Saturday 2200, entire property should now be covered in moss.

Saturday 2330. entire property should now be layered with moss, sword ferns, salal, huckleberry, madrona.

Sunday 0130, termites, mice, ants begin to hollow out stump.

Sunday 0430, deer, racoons begin to move through brush to create small trails around and near the stump.

Sunday 0500, rain begins, streams and ponds are created.

Sunday 0615, blackberry vines seize the sunny morning, begin to cover buildings.

Sunday 1000 place cache in nicely aged stump on much improved property.

This happens alot over the weekend in the PNW in springtime, the owner won't suspect a thing. :rolleyes:

Pour some dhmo on it.

Oh yeah. In great enough quantities, that stuff would kill just about anything.

Yep! It is the major component of acid rain after all! I am taking up the cause and ordering a T-shirt. I was really concerned to know that it is a component of beer, which I enjoy quite a bit! :rolleyes:

What I noticed is how he didn't mention agreement, permission, or knowledge from the land owner.

You don't know how it works out here, JeepCachr. I moved out here from your neck of the woods (Wisconsin) a couple years ago. I was surprised how it really still is wild west frontier. Anything goes.

I stopped by to pick up my wood from the tree, and I don't know what Criminal did to the guy, but the owner was just peaking out the window through the blinds at me, quivering.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he gets that stump aged.

:rolleyes:

Am I the only one thinking that criminal is doing this without the land owners consent or even knowledge?

The land owner does not have a policy regarding geocaching nor does he have one regarding cutting down his tree.

I was going to suggest fire or acid for that stump but I see that has been recommended already.

*scratches my head*

No, cachers aren't crazy. lol.

Now, while it does look like he's doing something sneaky and underhanded, did it ever occur to you guys that just maybe he's doing this on the day he's closed so as to not disrupt the flow of business?