60c/s Firmware Wish List

I would like to turn off the MENU BAR just on the Map Page, to get more Screen devoted to mapping. Like when you press the Enter key while on the Map Page, the menu at the top would turn off for a few minutes. I like to have my map page all map, and nothing else.

I'd like the geocaching feature to be used for *any* waypoint type. So you can select "found" when you get there and have it marked as found. I use differnet icons for different cache types and so the find-->geocache menus isn't very usable to me as it won't show multis, virts, etc.

I've been pretty happy with the unit so far. I think they could do some things like make the data fields on the mapping screen transparent that would make it nicer. Being able to set the font size of the data fields would be nice too. I don't need to use 25% of the screen to show that i'm 3 hours from my destination. I only need it to be as visible as a waypoint name.

I think the map screen is where they need to apply most of their time. They could do some really cool things with the interface there. Allow you to have a scrolling info bar at the top or bottom so you can have 10 data fields scroll accross but not all be on the screen at once. Or let you page through data fields somehow so you can have two on the screen and scroll to the next two you configured, etc.

I'd also like the ability in the waypoint search to set proximity alerts for particular waypoints from there.

A few things I'd like to see them change. First is why is the cache ttitle when searching limited to 10 characters? It looks like it could hold at least 12. Secondly the "notes" window, it looks like it's at least three lines yet only 2 lines can be displayed. I would like to see this expanded to at least 3 lines or a scrolling window so we can hold more info there!

And fix the geocache search by name error with V3.20!

I'd like an option in the Setup menu for automatically powering off the GPSr if no button/rocker has been pushed in x amount of time. Give several options like 15 min, 30 min, 60 min and 120 min.

30 seconds before the unit powers down, beep a warning. In effect this says "I'm powering down unless you hit a button/rocker in the next 30 seconds."

This is a common feature and way of doing things with ham radios, and it would have saved me several times when I've left my 60c on overnight by accident. Good thing I use rechargeable batteries!

I'd like an option in the Setup menu for automatically powering off the GPSr if no button/rocker has been pushed in x amount of time. Give several options like 15 min, 30 min, 60 min and 120 min.

30 seconds before the unit powers down, beep a warning. In effect this says "I'm powering down unless you hit a button/rocker in the next 30 seconds."

This is a common feature and way of doing things with ham radios, and it would have saved me several times when I've left my 60c on overnight by accident. Good thing I use rechargeable batteries!

That would be oh so stupid as I often have my GPSr on top of my backpack just to log the track. That way it would power off in the middle of the trip. I also think that given the MUCH improved battery life of the GPSMAP 60 series this is really not needed.

Forgive me if this has been suggested previously. I could not find that it had. Although I do not own a 60 as yet it appears that the firmware is very similar to that of my GPS V. What I would like to see is the ability to selectively transfer manually created waypoints to my PC rather than dumping all 500 of them just for the sake of a few. We can selectively delete waypoints by symbol type so downloading by symbol type should not be difficult to program.

Cheers, Olar

That would be oh so stupid as I often have my GPSr on top of my backpack just to log the track. That way it would power off in the middle of the trip. I also think that given the MUCH improved battery life of the GPSMAP 60 series this is really not needed.

How about a setting to power off the unit at a certain time, like 8pm?

Just thought of something today for driving -- I like to have the "time to next" field up when I drive, so I get a countdown until my next turn. It would be nice if this tab included the general direction (L or R) of the next turn, because you can't always tell by glancing at the route on the map.

For example, if you had a left turn coming up, it might say "3:05(L)" or similar. This would be a significant help around here, where traffic is miserable, because it would let me know what lane I should be in way before the initial turn warning.

Edited by 4x5shooter

I disagree, but unlike you I will do so politely. ;)

This would be an OPTION in the Setup menu. You wouldn't have to have the auto power-down enabled at all.

I would find it very useful and you wouldn't have to ever use it if you didn't want to. Simple enough. And not "stupid."

I use my 60c to create tracks as well, but in general something like an hour without a button being touched, and then giving a warning before shutdown, would suit my needs very well.

I disagree, but unlike you I will do so politely. :)

This would be an OPTION in the Setup menu. You wouldn't have to have the auto power-down enabled at all.

I would find it very useful and you wouldn't have to ever use it if you didn't want to. Simple enough. And not "stupid."

I use my 60c to create tracks as well, but in general something like an hour without a button being touched, and then giving a warning before shutdown, would suit my needs very well.

Sorry, I didn't want to angry you, I just don't think that is needed as GPS units are meant as "always om" units. Some geocachers would probably welcome such option but for the rest it would make no sense.

Next time I will choose my words more carefully - I really didn't want to cause trouble.

Either in the manual or the unit itself, it would be nice to have a guide showing what the waypoint symbols are. Some are easy to figure out (bus, fish, etc.) while others are not so easy (facilities, building, etc.)

Why? They're your waypoints, mark them with something that makes sense to you. For example, I use the big X one for an additional generic marker. I think it's technically a "Crossing" but who cares. If you can't figure one of the symbols out then don't use it :)

Some geocachers would probably welcome such option but for the rest it would make no sense.

Next time I will choose my words more carefully - I really didn't want to cause trouble.

That's OK, no trouble... I just believe it is important to recognize that although a feature may not be useful to some users, that doesn't invalidate the usefulness to others. I have no need for a wheelchair or a minivan but millions of people find them very useful indeed.

In my case, the battery drain from accidently leaving my GPSr on overnight a few days ago could have caused me a serious problem, not just missing out on a geocache, but something more serious. But all ended well. :)

Either in the manual or the unit itself, it would be nice to have a guide showing what the waypoint symbols are. Some are easy to figure out (bus, fish, etc.) while others are not so easy (facilities, building, etc.)

Why? They're your waypoints, mark them with something that makes sense to you. For example, I use the big X one for an additional generic marker. I think it's technically a "Crossing" but who cares. If you can't figure one of the symbols out then don't use it :)

I agree with Hogeye. They are obviously intended to mean *something* standard, I would think. You can use them as you like - I do too - but for example when you load things up from MapSource or from other public sources, it would be handy if your waypoint icons matched the standard ones.

I didn't see a list of the icons on their website either. I wouldn't need a description in the GPS itself, but a reference chart in the manual or online would be nice.

In Mapsource just choose any waypoint and open it's properties window. There is a pull-down which shows all available symbol icons and their name/description.

Olar

I would like to turn off the MENU BAR just on the Map Page, to get more Screen devoted to mapping. Like when you press the Enter key while on the Map Page, the menu at the top would turn off for a few minutes. I like to have my map page all map, and nothing else.

1. I agree, bar on top in the Map page have to go away after few seconds.

2. Have to be an option to remove some particular road after route is created

and rerun autorouting as if this road doesn't exist. Sometimes you just know

that some road is bad choice.

PS: It would be nice to conduct voting on features we want and let Garmin know the results.

I'd like to see the database for geocaches completely separate from the waypoint list.  I'd also like to have the waypoint data base display a collection of icons, not just all or one.

I'd like SD cards (well, I thought I'd just say that).  At least I'd like the GPSr to act as a UBS host, so that it could read SD cards from a USB SD card reader  - or to read a USB "keychain" hard disk.  54 megs is great, but I really would like to have access to at least 500 megs.

I agree with that also

geocaches must be completely separate from waypoints.

As for external USB memory , I had exactly same idea long time before

USB units came out. I am ready to eat my shoe if Garmin does that.

Edited by vr12
I would like an extra decimal place when during projections.

My Legend would allow say a 1.25 mile projection.

The 60CS will only allow a 1.2 mile projection. There are caches where I need that extra decimal place.

Why would you really need projection to a 100th of a mile. Thats 52 ft. When your projecting a waypoint and deciding how far out to make your projection, in practical terms, overlooking your terrain, it's virtually impossible to estimate distance visually within 50 ft at even 1/8 mi away. I would think 1/10 mi or 500 ft is even overkill for waypoint projection.

Is there a practical application you have where you need the 50ft accuracy ? My understanding of projecing a waypoint was to establish a course line to your target....once you project past the target, you always have a courseline 'over" the target.

Why would you really need projection to a 100th of a mile. Thats 52 ft. When your projecting a waypoint and deciding how far out to make your projection, in practical terms, overlooking your terrain, it's virtually impossible to estimate distance visually within 50 ft at even 1/8 mi away. I would think 1/10 mi or 500 ft is even overkill for waypoint projection.

Is there a practical application you have where you need the 50ft accuracy ? My understanding of projecing a waypoint was to establish a course line to your target....once you project past the target, you always have a courseline 'over" the target.