60c/s Firmware Wish List

I’ve heard (in this forum) that Garmin is open to input from its customers regarding firmware changes. After seeing a number of good ideas in previous posts I thought it might be productive to come up with a prioritized wish list of feature requests, then submit the list to Garmin. Below is a list that I’ve compiled from previous threads, as well as my own wish list. Please add to, or comment on this list.

• Waypoint Page - Increase the space available for a “NOTE”. Unlimited characters with scrolling is preferred but even doubling the space to 60 characters would be helpful.

• Backlight automatically enabled after sunset (ahimsa)

• Auto power on when attached to external power (configurable).

• Map Page - Ability to enable/disable displayed waypoints by type (Geocache, residence, etc) to reduce clutter (ahimsa)

• Map Page - On the map page provide toggle for map up/track (IE press and hold button X)

• Toggle for switching between “follow road” and “off road”, accessible from the map page or the route page (Marky)

• Automatically switch (or prompt) between off road and on road when off road/on road travel is detected (Marky)

• Compass Page -On the compass page display the name of the Waypoint on the top of the screen while navigating.

Greg

• Backlight automatically enabled after sunset (ahimsa)

I think I'd rephrase that to "Backlight automatically disabled during daylight hours"

Or maybe a better choice would be to have separate backlight timeout settings for daylight/evening. Then you could set the backlight to "always off" during daylight hours and x minutes during evening hours.

I wold like the possibility to turn of the menubar at the top of the map page.

It takes up 18 pixel lines. 7.5% of total screen!! Like the 76S

Possibility to have 3 smal data field at the top. The 76S can do that with 30 pixels hight. (12,5% of the total page). At the 60C you have only large (one field) and medium (2 field at 67 pixels, using 28% of the page)

Using profile, like my mobilephone

----------------------------------------

Profile 1: Hiking

Topo map

Profile 2: Driving

CitySelect

Kilometer/hours

Profile 3: Boat

Bluechart

Knots

Nautical stuff

I'd like to see the database for geocaches completely separate from the waypoint list. I'd also like to have the waypoint data base display a collection of icons, not just all or one.

I'd like SD cards (well, I thought I'd just say that). At least I'd like the GPSr to act as a UBS host, so that it could read SD cards from a USB SD card reader - or to read a USB "keychain" hard disk. 54 megs is great, but I really would like to have access to at least 500 megs.

I'd like to be able to turn the barometer off.

I'd like the compass page to be able to display coordinates (maybe it can, but I did not see how).

I'd like to be able to interface the CS with an audio output source, so that I could have voice prompts in a car. [it's too dangerous to be reading the GPSr when alone, navigating in a car.]

I'd like to be able to overlay maps, say topos and city select.

I'd like to know how much memory I have left.

I'd like to add just one map area to the installed maps - and not have to reload them all just to add one.

I'd like velocity and max velocity to be more accurate. The algorithm could be changed to make "delta t" larger, which would make "delta d" more accurate.

I'd like to be able to toggle back and forth between two pages instead of having to page through them all.

Wish list:

When a tide point is selected from the calendar it should display the tide for the calendar date (not the current date as it is now).

I'd like to be able to delete individual calendar entries or the entire day.

I'd also like to see an expanding tree list for turning on and off maps either at a map type (City Select, Topo, etc) level or at an individual map level.

I also agree about seperating Geocache items from the regular waypoint list.

(what for edits as I think of more things)

I'd like to be able to toggle back and forth between two pages instead of having to page through them all.

I can do that on my 76S with "page" and "quit"

I also sent a request to Garmin to read this thread :D

Edited by jotne
I'd also like to see an expanding tree list for turning on and off maps either at a map type (City Select, Topo, etc) level or at an individual map level.

While it's not an expanding tree list, there is functionality present already that is close to what you are wanting (at least, it sure helps for turning off all map types at once easily!):

• On the Map page, hit Menu and select Setup Map.
  • Move the selection to the Information icon (the circled "i"). Individual map segments are now listed and you can toggle them on or off individually, or...
  • Press Menu and select the map type that you want to display. All of the other map types will be toggled off.

Just like the 76s, the 60C?S can do this with Page and Quit. Hardly intuitive, but it works. I would have rather seem Garmin use the IN and OUT buttons for soft keys, then use them for page left/page right.

I'd like to be able to interface the CS with an audio output source, so that I could have voice prompts in a car. [it's too dangerous to be reading the GPSr when alone, navigating in a car.]

I'd settle in the short term for separate beep tones for left and right turns.

Or maybe a better choice would be to have separate backlight timeout settings for daylight/evening. Then you could set the backlight to "always off" during daylight hours and x minutes during evening hours.

Wow, they are real close to doing that with the 3.10 firmware. All they need to do is change "Backlight Timeout" to "Daytime Backlight Timeout" and add "Nighttime Backlight Timeout" and add a "Stay Off" option to each.

:D

I've always wondered why Garmin hasn't offered an altimeter alarm with a graph showing your progress as you hike up a hill. Garmin has one of the most accurate altimeters I've seen, and its a shame not to make more use of it. Backpackers know that alitude is often more important than mileage.

You would enter the alarm altitude and a seperate page would show the difference in feet (or meters) between your current altitude and the alarm altitude, and a bar or clock graph would show your progress (10% there, 50% there, etc.)

The page would also provide the option to select a waypoint and then using the data from the elevation field in the waypoint, tell you the altitude difference between your current location and the waypoint.

This should be very simple because the necessary data is already used by other parameters in the unit. I think backpackers and climbers would find these to be "killer apps."

P.S. People have posted some really good ideas. I had a problem with seeing the track, but with the new software, it's much better.

Edited by SLC Geo Finder
A user adjustable active track line. To be able to increase or decrease the amount of pizels per trackpoint so it would be easier to read when following it when needed.

3.10 -"Added the ability to customize the active track log color on the Track Setup page."

Has anyone tried the new firmware? Does it just change the color of the dots or add a background color like saved tracks? This should fix your problem if that's the case.

While it's not an expanding tree list, there is functionality present already that is close to what you are wanting (at least, it sure helps for turning off all map types at once easily!):

• On the Map page, hit Menu and select Setup Map.
  • Move the selection to the Information icon (the circled "i"). Individual map segments are now listed and you can toggle them on or off individually, or...
  • Press Menu and select the map type that you want to display. All of the other map types will be toggled off.

I knew that feature exists, unfortunately, it doesn't toggle a map on then off. I turns off all maps except for the selected map. In other words, I can not easily turn off my Bluecharts and leave my Fishing Hotspots and Recreational Lakes on. I have to turn on the Recreational lakes then turn on the Fishing Hotspots maps one at a time.

Two map page issues:

• Transparent data fields on the map page, to allow you to see the map through the fields (like on the 2610)
  • The ability to have the data fields show up on the map page while routing, but go away when not routing (basically, two different profiles, one while routing and one while not routing)
  • Even more color schemes :bad:

• I like the profile idea
  • Not too many extra menu items please
  • Add a detour function (all other routable Garmins have this)
  • Limit auto zoom factor, or better, auto zoom not by distance to next waypoint but by velocity (i.e. show next 30 seconds on map)
  • Permit routing setup page in page sequence
  • Louder beeps
  • Optical alarms (blink, blink). The beeps can easily be overheard when radio on or on a bike.
  • More proximity waypoints (for speeding traps)
  • Support raster maps (jpg, gif, ...)
  • Let active route color be customized, sometimes hardly distinguishable from other roads
  • Fix the unit lock-ups (just had one with the new version 3.10 firmware). Or at least give us a hardware reset button, I'm tired of removing the batteries each time ;)
  • Automatically power on unit after abnormal power-down. Thus when batteries lose contact caused by a bump, the unit would instantly turn on again when batteries regain contact
  • When showing turn instructions, indicate on which lane to keep after turn
  • Custom uploadable beeps (*.wav) and melodies (*.mid)
  • Add public transport timetables and routing using public transport (take subway 56 to central station, change for bus 111, get off at Churchil Street)
  • Add a detour function. I know I've said this before, but cannot resist to repeat it :bad:

I don't know if you can already do this but here is my 2 cents worth as a very new user. I went and created a waypoint and called it truck and put the appropriate icon and all where my truck is currently sitting. What I want to be able to do is keep that waypoint and whenever I am at another location and I want to mark my truck, just edit it and pick current location instead of having to either type in the new location or create a new waypoint and type in truck and pick my icon and stuff. When you are in the location spot of the waypoint and click enter, you already get your up/down and left/right and your numbers. All they would have to do is put another little button and have it plug in the current location coordinates automatically. This could be useful for other things too but this is just what I noticed the other day while caching!

Possibility to have 3 smal data field at the top.  The 76S can do that with 30 pixels hight. (12,5% of the total page).  At the 60C you have only large (one field) and medium (2 field at 67 pixels, using 28% of the page)

A friend of mine has a Map 76 that allows for the data boxes at the top of the map screen to be resized smaller. I think the above quote speaks to that same issue. I want to see the destination waypoint, the distance to that waypoint, and the pointer in a smaller space that now allowable.

What I want to be able to do is keep that waypoint and whenever I am at another location and I want to mark my truck, just edit it and pick current location instead of having to either type in the new location or create a new waypoint and type in truck and pick my icon and stuff.

Why not use the Man Overboard waypoint for that? I can't think of a better use for it if you spend most of your time on dry land! Just hold down the Find button and it'll create a unique waypoint called MOB for the current location.

Not tried it, but I thought MOB started navigation. If you are in the middle of a navigation (like you've driven towards a cache and now you are parking the truck to walk), then I suppose you'd have to stop the MOB navigation and restart the cache one.

I like the more Proximity Waypoints, louder/adjustable beeps, different beeps for left and right turns, and more altimeter functions ideas. There are way more Red Light Camera intersections where I live than 10, so more Proximity Waypoints would be nice. Also, the beeps do get lost if you have tunes on in the car.

Does the altimeter data get transfered when you save a track in MapSource or does it use the satellite derived altitude?

Also MapSource does not allow you to view the elevation info vs time or search by intersection, two things the CS does. Why not?

-MIQ

Does the altimeter data get transfered when you save a track in MapSource or does it use the satellite derived altitude? 

With my 76S it saves the Altimeter data and not the GPS one. I guess it's the same on 60CS. I would be nice if we could select the source to log.

The new track thing, just allows you too change the color of the active track, default is "transparent" the other colors REALLY stick out well, and with many colors to choose from, im pretty sure most people will be satisfied. :bad:

Don't you mean SAVED TRACK? I wasn't aware the active track can change colors?

I've compiled a list of requests sorted by topic. The next step is for everyone that is interesting in seeing this get to Garmin, submit it to them HERE

There are a lot of items on this list. I recommend that you only submit the ones that are most interesting to you. If possible list the features in priority order.

Waypoint Page

• Increase the space available for a “NOTE”. Unlimited characters with scrolling is preferred but even doubling the space to 60 characters would be helpful.

• Increase the number of characters for Waypoint names. Currently 10, the GPV is 15.

• More proximity waypoints

Find Page

• Waypoints for geocaches not included in the main waypoints list

Trip Computer Page

• For the smaller data fields make the “odometer” the same size text as in the other small fields. Currently its about half the size of the other fields

Compass Page

• On the compass page display the name of the Waypoint on the top of the screen while navigating.

• Use In/Out to scroll through data fields

• Add display of coordinates

• Compass arrow enabled while in "follow road" mode

Map Page

• Ability to enable/disable displayed waypoints by type (Geocache, residence, etc) to reduce clutter

• On the map page provide toggle for map up/track (IE press and hold button X)

• Ability to have 3 small data fields at the top of the screen instead of 2 small one large

• Transparent data fields on the map page, to allow you to see the map through the fields (like on the 2610)

• The ability to have the data fields show up on the map page while routing, but go away when not routing (basically, two different profiles, one while routing and one while not routing)

Power & Lighting

• Backlight (with timeout) automatically enabled after sunset

• Auto power on when attached to external power

• Ability to disable barometer (assuming there is some power savings).

• Automatically power on unit after abnormal power-down. Thus when batteries lose contact caused by a bump, the unit would instantly turn on again when batteries regain contact

Navigation

• Toggle for switching between “follow road” and “off road”, accessible from the map page or the route page

• Automatically switch (or prompt) between off road and on road when off road/on road travel is detected

• Add a detour function ( as seen in other routable Garmins units)

• Limit auto zoom factor, or better, auto zoom not by distance to next waypoint but by velocity (i.e. show next 30 seconds on map)

• Permit routing setup page in page sequence

• Optical alarms (blink, blink). The beeps can easily be overheard when radio on or on a bike.

• Let active route color be customized, sometimes hardly distinguishable from other roads

• When showing turn instructions, indicate on which lane to keep after turn

• Add public transport timetables and routing using public transport (take subway 56 to central station, change for bus 111, get off at Churchil Street)

Altimeter

• Proximately alarms for altitude

• Arrival projection for a given altitude.

• Ability to be able to display "Elevation" based on the Barometer or GPS

General

• Even more color schemes

• Ability to overlay maps, topos and city select.

• Report of available memory

• Loader beeps

• Custom uploadable beeps (*.wav) and melodies (*.mid)

Profiles (similar to mobilephones) Examples

• Profile 1: Hiking Topo map

• Profile 2: Driving CitySelect Kilometer/hours

• Profile 3: Boat Bluechart Knots Nautical stuff

Edited by Greg&Patty
Compass Page

• On the compass page display the name of the Waypoint on the top of the screen while navigating.

• Use In/Out to scroll through data fields

• Add display of coordinates

I wouldn't mind if the compass arrow showed during "follow-road" navigation, even if it pointed to the "next" "waypoint" in the route. Then we wouldn't even need to switch to "off-road", would we?

With my 76S it saves the Altimeter data and not the GPS one.  I guess it's the same on 60CS.  I would be nice if we could select the source to log.

I did some experimentation tonight. The Tracks that are recorded to the CS internal memory and then transferred ("open from USB GPS") to MapSource use the altimeter for the altitude information (like 76S). If you record tracks on your PC from within MapSource, using the GPS tab, the GPS derived altitude is recorded.

-MIQ

I need more note space. It would be great to increase the space available for a “NOTE”. We should be able to have unlimited characters with scrolling. When I purchased the 60cs, I thought that is what I was getting. I wanted to be able to go paperless and be able to use only one instrument when geocaching. I think this option/update should be a priority.

Actual GPS elevation or altitude (for use in presurized airplanes)

RockyRiver,

It's not that easy but you can get the GPS derived elevation. From the Satellites page press Menu then scroll down to GPS Elevation and hit Enter.

If you use MapSource to record a track for you (60CS connected to PC) it will record the GPS derived altitude and NOT the barometric altimeter info. :rolleyes:

-MIQ

I'd be interested in a few things:

1. Like posted before, day/night backlighting settings, and have the backlight come on initially when the unit is powered up.

2. Customizable color schemes instead of fixed one (pretty minor)

2a. Interstate prefrence for road routing. I don't like it when the unit sends me on a non-interstate road with about a TRILLION stop lights instead of using the very close-by INTER-FRICKEN-STATE!!!

3. Rocket guidance application via the USB or serial data port*

*- I now have an FBI file most likely. (Assuming I don't already have one.) :lol: **

**- I kid! I kid! (FBI- please don't come and arrest me! :rolleyes: )

Edited by AlphaOp

I'd like to see waypoint categories so you can display all waypoints, or only those in a particular category. Like "On the way to event" and "Event area" for instance.

I'd love to see the waypoints not be limited to a fixed amount, but to a memory limit. So you get 300K or 1MB or whatever and you can put in 1000 waypoints with only 30 chars descritpion or 100 waypoints with 300 characters, etc.

I'm like the ability to turn off the screen while still having the unit it's self turned on. Lots of times I toss it into my backback while biking to record distance, time, and speed traveled, and only look at it when I'm done. I have a feeling that allowing the display to be turned off would give a major boost to battery life.

Edited by BradleyUffner

Just like the 76s, the 60C?S can do this with Page and Quit. Hardly intuitive, but it works. I would have rather seem Garmin use the IN and OUT buttons for soft keys, then use them for page left/page right.

If you think of the "quit" key as a back key, you will find that it has a lot of good functionality. RM