Geocachers

Wrong Way Ron

Major nerd sport!

I just read a writeup in a local paper defining the cachers as geeks multiple times.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't describe many I know. I think more are outdoorsy-types than geek-types.

Heck, as the recent discussions of "ghost" cachers attest to, you can get coords from a buddy without knowing how to use a computer, and there are some who don't use GPSrs either...

Then look at the puzzle caches, the more nerdy the fewer visitors...

However, caches in beautiful locations with good trade items get lots of traffic.

Now let me whip out my PDA and generate some percentage numbers on all this.

Heh,

Randy

(outdoorsy-nerd)

LOL!

I agree with you.. Although, I don't mind the term techno geek because to me it refers to people who are into gadgets and gismos - not really a geeky thing.

I'm a newbie, and female. I'm normally more of an indoors kind of person, my husband is DEFINITELY the outdoorsman, but I've had to really drive him crazy with my enthusiasm for this to get him going on it.

We did a super easy letterbox yesterday, just to get our feet wet (and BOY did we......lots of mud and muck!), and once we get our GPS this week, we'll get out there and try to find some caches near us. Once we really get into it, I just know he'll be hooked. I have a pretty addictive personality, and I just KNOW I'll be addicted to this. I used to put together car rallies, and loved coming up with the clues, and it was even more fun doing them.

I'm normally more of an indoors kind of person [...]  I used to put together car rallies

Yikes! An indoor car rally? ;) That must have been dangerous! ;)

(I imagine someone missing a turn and careening into a coffee table.) ;)

Seriously though, welcome to the sport.

My wife enjoys geocaching, but only joins me when the weather is nice. She's likes the swag, whereas I'm more in it for the challenge of the hunt. (She looks offended when I suggest TNLN.)

Yikes! An indoor car rally? B) That must have been dangerous! :D

(I imagine someone missing a turn and careening into a coffee table.) :D

Seriously though, welcome to the sport.

My wife enjoys geocaching, but only joins me when the weather is nice. She's likes the swag, whereas I'm more in it for the challenge of the hunt. (She looks offended when I suggest TNLN.)

Oh, and you have to be careful with the stairs, too! B)

The part of this that appeals to me is the searching for the cache. I don't really care what's in the cache, that's just a bonus! Although yesterday, I really wanted that TB........ B)

Hello everybody!

I'm new to geocaching but really excited about it! I've always been the outdoorsy type to start with but am always open to finding nice new places, geocahing is PERFECT for me!!! My husband isn't even slightly interested in going hiking with me, let alone cache hunting...

My Sister-in-law now she's a totally different story! So while new to it, that would be a couple more women out there hunting!

Sam...

So I don't know why my avatar isn't showing up...

Edited by Major Carter
I am proud to be a geek chick. :P

Me too!! :D

I have a theory that geek chick geocachers are generally happy and well adjusted people. They don't stress over things like fashion and makeup, they tend to exercise their minds, they get outdoors alot, and if they so desire, they have no shortage of geek men! Of course this isn't to say that non-geeks are unhappy, I just wouldn't know because I'm a geek! :D

Edited by carleenp
I have a theory that geek chick geocachers are generally happy and well adjusted people. They don't stress over things like fashion and makeup, they tend to exercise their minds, they get outdoors alot, and if they so desire, they have no shortage of geek men! Of course this isn't to say that non-geeks are unhappy, I just wouldn't know because I'm a geek! :D

Well, I DO stress a bit over fashion and makeup, and I don't get outdoors a lot, but I do exercise my mind, and I am happy and well-adjusted. And though I've been happily married for almost 29 years, I still get a look or two from the male species, both geeks and non-geeks. LOL!!

And I'm already addicted to geocaching, except you probably won't see me out there doing it if it's pouring down rain or in a snowstorm. Well, maybe in the rain...

huh. while i have met geocahcers of both genders and a variety of descriptions, political leanings and personalities, i have yet to meet one who isn't a geek. running into a bunch of geocachers is like running into a whole secret society of men and women who know from their childhoods what the inside of a closed locker looks like.

these are people who play chess and can speak elvish. many know how to use a slide rule or bought a calculator back when you had to pay a LOT for a model that was the size of your lunchbox and only did four basic functions.

if i'm at an athletic event and i pick out the single geekiest looking athlete, he's the guy with a GPS already.

here are my results lately:

mountain biking- the guy already works for nasa. 'nuf sed.

rock climbing- not only does he geocache, but he's also a caver. AND he polishes his own lenses.

basketball- nobody at any of the games i've been to recently has heard of geocaching.

the waiting area outside a women's fitness gym- nobody has heard of geocaching, but they can quote comparative rates for tanning salons.

Let me just say this...........I'M NOT A GEEK!! Never have been never will be. I wear makeup but not all the time. I use a computer at work and at home. I do hiking, fishing, and hunting. But also do "girl" stuff too. :)

No I never ever did see the inside of a locker when I was in high school. I was one of them who "put" people in lockers :D. Especially some of the "snotty" cheerleaders who had P.E. with me. That was nearly 29 years ago.

Plus my husband Ironman114 is not a geek either. He's an Ironworker and you just don't go around calling them geeks, even with a GPS in his hand. You might get hurt :):)

Edited by IronMaiden

Finally responding to this thread.

I'm a 44 year old man.

My wife enjoys caching (on the weekends only) but does not want to log online.

When she is with me, she usually spots the cache first, she's really good at that. She does not like long hikes or inclement weather.

The 11 year old daughter loves caching with me, but as yet does not log online.

(She can't seem to decide on an appropriate id.) The daughter is game for any terrain, any weather.

When either is with me when the cache is located, I always note their presence in the cache log and the online log.

I won a beauty contest, too.  How many geeks can say that!

One I know personally - used to be a model, before she went on to do her grad studies.

Two (very beautiful) geeks in Hollywood are Chase Masterson (she played 'Leeta' in ST:DS9) and Mila Jovovich (Resident Evil, Fifth Element, and Maybeline spokesmodel.)

Geeks have social skills, whereas nerds don't - perhaps you were a geek, and didn't know it? :)

I think there are quite a few female cachers here in the NW. My hubby, Brazin, was the one who ask for the GPS for Christmas. Now I am the one who is dragging him all over the place. It's a great activity for couples. We work well as a team, I can usually spot the ones close to the ground and he finds the higher ones. I have been a few times by myself; I don't seem to do as well. Maybe I am more competitive than I realize and like it when we are both looking and I find it first. :)

(CKelly here) This Geo caching has been so much fun and like others said has given me and PapaGeorgia something to do together..I am female and not a nerd or geek.. I love the outdoors..I bought PapaGeorgia a Magellan 310 from a fellow cacher this past Christmas. I didn't know if PapaGeorgia would even be interested but he has taken to it and loves the sport..I will be eternally grateful to my friend (Oat) for helping us get started in this sport..In March we bought a SportTrac Map by Magellan and we now take both Gps with us..

People throw the word nerd and geek around like it is a bad thing. I am a female geek (geekette if you please) and it doesn't bother me a bit. Being a geek doesn't mean you're ugly, never wear makeup and wear your dad's flannels 24/7 and have never owned a dress or skirt in your life. It just means you are smart and have a tendency to gravitate towards cool technological toys/hobbies. :)

I am a geek!

I geocache (geocaching by itself doesn't make you a geek, but in my case it just adds to my geekiness!)

I play Everquest, Horizons and FFXI

I built the computer I am sitting at right now

I LOVE anime (okay, maybe I have an addiction!)

I played D&D in the old days...I mean OLD D&D...pencil, paper, hex maps, etc.

I always fix my friends computers when they break them

I can recite every word from The Holy Grail

(The list goes on and on and on!)

Okay...maybe I am the only female that is truly comfortable and happy with my geekiness. :)

(CKelly here) This Geo caching has been so much fun and like others said has given me and PapaGeorgia something to do together..I am female and not a nerd or geek.. I love the outdoors..I bought PapaGeorgia a Magellan 310 from a fellow cacher this past Christmas. I didn't know if PapaGeorgia would even be interested but he has taken to it and loves the sport..I will be eternally grateful to my friend (Oat) for helping us get started in this sport..In March we bought a SportTrac Map by Magellan and we now take both Gps with us..

Don't I know you? :):)

I'm female and I cache with my husband and 14 year old daughter. We're new at this and became hooked immediately. I guess I would classify myself as "outdoorsy" as I used to hike a great deal and we all love to camp. I think this is a great way to spend quality family time together, get outside and get some exercise and expore areas that normally we would never think to go. Looking forward to this for many years to come.

Chick checkin' in! :) MarinerBC and I started this about 2 years ago, and we haven't looked back since. I love it because a lot of times we don't have time to cache together, so after using his GPS for a while, then accidentally losing it a few months later, we each got our own. I love being outdoors, running hiking, what have you, plus I love toys, so this combines everything just about perfectly! I have 'graduated' from a Venture to a Rino (:) Rino) , and now am also thoroughly enjoying 'paperless' caching! I know lots of women cachers now, but when I started, it seemed to be mostly men doing it. I know there aren't as many solo femle cachers in my area, but there are a lot of women who cache under a shared ID with their hubbies. Glad to see all us 'chicks' out there! Cache on, ladies! :)

I have to chime in, Pretty sure I'm not now or ever have been a geek. Nothing wrong, with people who feel that they are, more power to you. An early post implied that everyone who does this was shoved in lockers and such.

I was never slammed into a locker, I was actually an all-state athlete and dated the snooty cheerleaders. Never seen Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings. I know nothing about video games, computers or such.

I've always enjoyed outdoor activities. In school I would teach a Wilderness Survival course at the local 4-H camp and Boy Scout camp. During college I became seperated from most outdoor activites. It was hard to find time with parties and such. Now, I spend most of my time in offices and hotels. Its boring. I miss being outside and the sense of adventure. Geocaching, and I am very new to this, gives me a great excuse to go for a hike, or go kayaking.

I really hate posting this, It sounds like I have to list my past activities to justify myself. I have lot of hobbies, I stumbled across this one recently and so far it has been fun.

It takes different temperments, talents, and convictions.

Edited by k5hokie
I was never slammed into a locker, I was actually an all-state athlete and dated the snooty cheerleaders. Never seen Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings. I know nothing about video games, computers or such.

I was never slammed into a locker. I was the punk chick with the mohawk. Hanging out with my friends, making fun of the all-state athletes and cheerleaders. <_<

People throw the word nerd and geek around like it is a bad thing. I am a female geek (geekette if you please) and it doesn't bother me a bit. Being a geek doesn't mean you're ugly, never wear makeup and wear your dad's flannels 24/7 and have never owned a dress or skirt in your life. It just means you are smart and have a tendency to gravitate towards cool technological toys/hobbies. :D

I am a geek!

I geocache (geocaching by itself doesn't make you a geek, but in my case it just adds to my geekiness!)

I play Everquest, Horizons and FFXI

I built the computer I am sitting at right now

I LOVE anime (okay, maybe I have an addiction!)

I played D&D in the old days...I mean OLD D&D...pencil, paper, hex maps, etc.

I always fix my friends computers when they break them

I can recite every word from The Holy Grail

(The list goes on and on and on!)

Okay...maybe I am the only female that is truly comfortable and happy with my geekiness. :D

I have to agree with Imajika, I'm a long time geekette myself and caching is just the latest for me... Was never into sports in school, but really LOVE caching, though honestly the best part of it for me has nothing to do with the toys...

Now as far as being a geekette, well I too have built my own computers and a bunch of other tech toys... I designed and built most of http://www.partysite.com that uses geographic location technology to pull up a list of sites near someones zip... Takes the zip, turns it into lat/long co-ordinates and then does a search of the database based on that... Kinda cool, very fast, and cheaper than what my company was quoted to lease this kind of thing...

I'm heavy into Digital Photography and Video editing... Built my own PVCR (Tivo kind of thing) and edit out the commercials and burn things to DVD to watch later...

SO that's just my two cents...

Sam...

Not only am I a female geocacher, I'm a pregnant one at that! Due this August with the little geocacher-to-be, so some of the mountain caches in this area are off-limits for me (*bummer, since it's a new hobby and I want to see them all!*). I go out geocaching with my husband, but I'm the only one active in the forum. And apparently there are lots of female geocachers down here in the El Paso/Las Cruces area.

Paula :lol:

I am the only female member of our team(my hubby and two young boys). :D

Let me just say I am the one that gets us out there everytime.

I have to get them away from the tv,video games lawnmmower,etc or we would never step foot out of our yard except for school or work.

I used to drag them shopping.

Now i can take them into the woods. :rolleyes:

I am usually the last person to give up on caches that are hard to find.

Go girl power :D

I'm female too- my boyfriend set up the account and had to force me to go with him a few years ago...now I'm the main user of the account and 75% of the logs are mine alone. I do go alone a lot of the time because he works during the day and I work at night (and have nothing else to do during the day!). I have no problem going alone...although there are a few places I've been that have made me uncomfortable and i left without getting out of my car. Why do creepy looking men like to park their cars in the middle of the afternoon in a remote park/natural area parking lot and just sit there? Creeps me out! Other parks i have been to people have been napping in their cars which I still think is odd, but if I don't get a bad feeling about them or the location (neighborhood parks I figure are pretty safe) I'll go.

To IronMaiden and all you others :D . Hate to brake it to you all but no matter how "cool" and "un-nerdlike" you may consider yourself, in my book of definitions, by virtue of not just knowing what a GPS is but by knowing how to use one AND BY USING IT! you definitely qualify in my mind as being a geek. :D And please. I absolutely and above all else mean no insult by this. I agree with the post that states it's like being part of a wonderful secret society. However, let it be known that I am now reevaluating my use of geek and I may be replacing it with sometime in the future with a word that will be less, well, off putting to those who think it is some kind of insult :rolleyes: (of course, for all of us acknowledged geeks, we know better....)

;0

I'm a girl, but my dog is a boy. I heard about geocaching from another web board (a lab dog board of course) and thought that it sounded like so much fun. I knew my hubby wouldn't want to come with me and I knew my dog would!! I'm still figuring things out but we're heading out to find our first cache this weekend!

I'm a girl, as well as being a newbie to this. I stumbled upon it through my Volkswagen Club membership, and I'm very thankful that I did! It's a great way to spend an afternoon, especially when you have the opportunity to visit an area you may have not considered otherwise. My Bug and I have a blast! Sunroof open, CD's spinning, and GPS scanning! YEAH!! :P

btlgrl

it is very amusing how the geeks hold themselves above the nerds and actually make a DISTINCTION between them! ha, that's rich!

have some PRIDE, people.

be who you are. no apologies. we are each of us rare and exquisite treasures.

i worked really, really hard and finally one day i was the most popular girl in the fifth grade. ok, so i was thirty-seven by the time i made it, but my point is that i DID finally make it. so there.

Another female cacher here--this one from Fort Collins, Colorado. I'm new to geocaching and already addicted. I'm trying to get my hubby interested. He's a nerd (EE) who sits in front of a computer all day long. I thought geocaching would be a hobby he'd enjoy that would get him out of the house and help him get some exercise, but I've done most of my caching without him so far.

Interestingly, I wrote articles about GPS way back in 1989, when I was the managing editor of a trade magazine called GIS World. Back then only a few satellites had been launched, and we were talking about how wonderful it would be when the full constellation was up. :P I had no idea back then that I'd be prancing around the state with a tiny little handheld GPS unit. I used to interview guys who worked for Magellan and Trimble who rode around on bicycles with antennas strapped to their backs collecting waypoints for commercial applications. Ah, the good old days. B)

This is great stuff! My thanks to Lazyboy (of Lazyboy & Mitey Mite) for introducing me to geocaching.

Two (very beautiful) geeks in Hollywood are Chase Masterson and Mila Jovovich.

My husband is twitterpated with Mila Jovovich. Hmmm... maybe that's one incentive to get him away from his computer and out geocaching! If Mila does it, it should get good enough for him! :P

Another female cacher here! I, my husband and our 3 chicks are totally hooked on the game. Since I am a SAHM, I plot our caches and print out where we are going that day and when he gets home, we go! I also tend to write up all of our logs/forum posts, etc. I even get to hold the GPSr too - WOO! (Yeah, he just tends to follow wherever I go - I guess he figures it's easier than dealing with the red-headed temperament!) B)

At this point in my life, I am just too old to be worried about the whole "I am/am not a geek or nerd!" I am what I am...and that's all that I am (ok - I plagerized Popeye there, but you get the idea!)

We did have dinner with another geocaching couple recently and I remarked that they were seeing us in "civvies" (clothes that actually don't have the aroma of DEET permanently embedded in them!) and I was even wearing makeup (no need to impress squirrels on the trail, so I don't bother!) :P

Mother Hen

Okay, I have followed this thread now for over a month and I guess now I need to speak up. I don't know if I am a geek or a nerd. I am a woman who drags her husband out caching. Now that I am an over 50 woman, I geocache with my husband because I thought it would get us out together. He remodels houses and I fight fires and run on an ambulance so it is always nice to get away from home where there are no phones or pagers or jobs that need to be done. And yes, we also cave as a family. And we tend to get tec toys when we shop instead of clothes.

Chick checkin' in! :ph34r: MarinerBC and I started this about 2 years ago, and we haven't looked back since. I love it because a lot of times we don't have time to cache together, so after using his GPS for a while, then accidentally losing it a few months later, we each got our own. I love being outdoors, running hiking, what have you, plus I love toys, so this combines everything just about perfectly! I have 'graduated' from a Venture to a Rino (:blink: Rino) , and now am also thoroughly enjoying 'paperless' caching! I know lots of women cachers now, but when I started, it seemed to be mostly men doing it. I know there aren't as many solo femle cachers in my area, but there are a lot of women who cache under a shared ID with their hubbies. Glad to see all us 'chicks' out there! Cache on, ladies! :D

Yea! More female cachers! I'm the one who stumbled upon this geocaching thing and dragged my hubby and 5 year old daughter out to find our first cache. They both liked it, but not as much as me. Since then I have found the majority of the caches by myself or bringing curious friends along. When I would try to explain geocaching to friends, they looked at me like I was crazy so curiousity would get the best of 'em. I don't think of myself as a nerd or geek by any means. I do use a tanning bed, wear makeup and do most (girlie things). Although I must say when geocaching, I don't really care how I look. I just get up and go. It's all about the hunt! I get out there in the rain too, after all I live in Oregon. I'm so glad I'm not the only girl out there who loves the sport! Cache on! :D