Geocachers

Wrong Way Ron

I am not but got beat this last weekend,Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition by one,bldebabe,Way to go gals.

My wife TIGGR is a cacher.

I have another (girl) friend who is in the processes of learning how.

Grandma,88, is one of the Oldest cachers(Benchmark hunter) she goes out with me once and a while.

Crossroads 2 is a girl.

So I do not think is is just a guy thing.

I am not, although you might think so at first by reading my user name. My wife found out about this, bought the GPSr, and then promptly lost interest. She's not a real outdoorsy type anyhow. Only when it's not too hot or too cold, and there's no bugs. Which is about three days a year here in Iowa. Those are the same three days when you can roll the top down on your convertible.

Anyhow, now I'm stuck with this name. I suppose I could change it, but then nobody would know who I am.

At the last caching meeting I went to, there were four or five women, which was about 10% of the people. People whose profession had something to do with the computer industry far outnumbered anybody else.

(girl) friend not girlfriend LOL

I seen that one coming.

Yes it is her friend too.

But she has the worry that I am gonna meet some young caher girl and cache off into the great cache beyond the sunset :lol:

just kidding. :lol:

I did tell her about bldebabe........ :lol:

What guy would not love to get (beat) by the oppisite sex anyway? :blink:

pun intended. :D

It was fun too.

Myself, my mom, sister and 4 year old niece are all cachers. (Ok, I'm the only "active one" but the other 3 are quickly becoming obsessed--they have been on many finds already) Believe it or not, we're actually trying to get my dad involved--didn't think it would be so tough. But for now, in our family its all estrogen on our caching expeditions. :D

I like women, I like them a lot.

I keep trying to get him to go caching with me, but he ain't biting... (in the right places)

Obviously a grrl here...

Most of the women I run into cache as pairs with their spousal units. My hubby is willing in a limited capacity (I don't share his love of model railroading so I can't fault him for not liking MY hobby). He'll come along if the hike is worthy, if there is biking involved (this is a sure win-win situation) or if there is high-tourist value in the cache we're going after.

If I'm not out caching with my kids (three grrls, one boy), I am out with another female friend of mine... and then I do seem to have my pick of men who are always up for a quick romp through the forest.

It's tough, I tell you... having to pick from all these men who are ready, willing, and able.

(All kidding aside, I have some fabulous caching partners who put up with a lot to cache with me.)

-=-

michelle

My older daughter was a student at Penn State when she became interested in cachiing. She encouraged us to try the lone cache in our area; took two days to find the thing! But then, it was Easter weekend, and I did have a meal to prepare. I have since been given a GPS unit for my birthday, have over 35 finds and am preparing to adopt that one cache and place more on the new local rail trail. And I have one FTF. I need to find a caching partner who is available during the week, as my hubby and sons are busy with work and school.

I recently enjoyed the Texas Challenge 2004, attended by more than 200 cachers from around the state. I'd say at least one-third of the adults were women, some attached, some not. I can certainly say that out of all the sports I've participated in over the years, the gender distinction is much less pronounced in geocaching circles.

At TC2004 I led four Southeast Texas teams on a six-mile hike to the far side of Lake Raven, searching for little wooden tokens hidden in the middle of the woods. Of those four teams, the only one that found the assigned token was a two-woman team (Pineywoods Rooters). Without them, we'd have been skunked!

Edited by Chance Encounter

No way is it just a guy thing. In fact there is a special cache here in Idaho specifically for women called Back to Basics 1. It's filled with dainty and crafty things. I left emery boards.

I eventually plan to hide one called Ballerina Booty with dance things inside. I pity the macho dude who finds this one!

Somewhere there is another post asking your same question. Hundreds of women have responded. Tons of aging girl scouts are into this. This hobby is for anyone who likes the outdoors. That's what makes it so great, young and old, male and female alike can enjoy it. :bad:

Women are better at it than us men.  Faster too, at least on rural caches.  Men lose a lot of time marking our territory...

Hey - We mark territory so we can find our way out of the woods if the GPS batteries go dead!!

:bad:

"Bassmedic"

But you see women don't have to mark territory to find things -- apparently the uterus is a tracking device. Men are always asking us to find the things they've lost!

Bec

Women are better at it than us men.  Faster too, at least on rural caches.  Men lose a lot of time marking our territory...

Hey - We mark territory so we can find our way out of the woods if the GPS batteries go dead!!

"Bassmedic"

But you see women don't have to mark territory to find things -- apparently the uterus is a tracking device. Men are always asking us to find the things they've lost!

Bec

Okay - you got me on THAT one...I have no rebuttal!

;)

"Bassmedic"

:D

"Bassmedic"

Bec

;)

"Bassmedic"

;) s'allright -- still love you guys dearly though! :bad:

Without men, there would be no maps -- only men could devise something where an inch is equal to a mile..... ;)

(normally, I'm not this on top of things with the jokes. You just caught me on a good day ;) )

Bec

(perhaps it's obvious from my comments this evening, I'm still single.... :P )

A while ago I was caching and met a family caching. The husband told me that it was his wife'd idea and that she drug him all over the place, so you can't make any assumptions about which member of the family starts the whole thing.

My wife got me started, I think because this gave her an excuse to go shopping.....

;) s'allright -- still love you guys dearly though! :bad:

Without men, there would be no maps -- only men could devise something where an inch is equal to a mile..... ;)

(normally, I'm not this on top of things with the jokes. You just caught me on a good day :bad: )

Bec

(perhaps it's obvious from my comments this evening, I'm still single.... ;) )

Wow, Greyhounder hit the ground running with this one huh? ;)

Good job Greyhounder, I'm proud of ya.

- JamesJM ("Abject Silliness" virgin)

<_<

"Bassmedic"

Bec

:rolleyes:

:(

"Bassmedic"

:lol: s'allright -- still love you guys dearly though! :o

Without men, there would be no maps -- only men could devise something where an inch is equal to a mile..... :o

(normally, I'm not this on top of things with the jokes. You just caught me on a good day :P )

Bec

(perhaps it's obvious from my comments this evening, I'm still single.... :P )

I like the humor... :D

I won't be single after tomorrow!!

B)

I, too, am a woman. And I learned how to geocache from MIT the Nomad and his GIRLfriend Sugarfree.

I've done most of my caching with my father, though, although his girlfriend actually wants to go nexttime we go, which will be when it stops raining!!! (My mother went once but only after telling me I'm strange and whatever else) None of them are registered, though.

Yep I'm a gal that has lived all my life in PNW. I mainly go out with my hubby Ironman114 but I've been branching out and doing a bit of caching while he's at work. I've got a few that I want to get when I have my days off and have the time.

Unfortuantely, Spring is here and I suffer from asthma. So I have to pick and choose my days. I can hardly wait for Fall and Winter :rolleyes:

Checking logbook from our Beach event last Summer...

40% female to 60% male.

At the event in February I remember a significant number, but don't have numbers.

I remember a forum thread a long time ago talking about encouraging spouses to join in the fun--about half the respondants were of each gender.

I guess that means that the ratio of women to men not appreciating caching is roughly 50/50% too!!

Heh,

Randy

I am not but got beat this last weekend,Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition by one,bldebabe,Way to go gals.

My wife TIGGR is a cacher.

I have another (girl) friend who is in the processes of learning how.

Grandma,88, is one of the Oldest cachers(Benchmark hunter) she goes out with me once and a while.

Crossroads 2 is a girl.

So I do not think is is just a guy thing.

We are a husband wife team. Truth be known ... I am more addicted than hubby! :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm a woman and I'm into geocaching. I don't think it's so much a gender question as it is: Who's a nerd?!

Major nerd sport! Yippee for all of us outdoor enthusiast nerd heads. Can't get more techno swamped than geocaching! Let's hear it for us kick-a** women geocachers!

:rolleyes:

Major nerd sport!

I just read a writeup in a local paper defining the cachers as geeks multiple times.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't describe many I know. I think more are outdoorsy-types than geek-types.

Heck, as the recent discussions of "ghost" cachers attest to, you can get coords from a buddy without knowing how to use a computer, and there are some who don't use GPSrs either...

Then look at the puzzle caches, the more nerdy the fewer visitors...

However, caches in beautiful locations with good trade items get lots of traffic.

Now let me whip out my PDA and generate some percentage numbers on all this.

Heh,

Randy

(outdoorsy-nerd)