Garmin 60cs Barometric Altimeter

I know you can turn the Electronic Compass on and off, but is their a way to disable the Barometric Altimeter and only use the GPS itself to calculate the altitude.

I want to conserve as much battery power as possible, and having a more accurate altitude while driving in the car isn't needed in my opinion.

Anyways, simple question- Can you disaable the Altimeter? If so how?

not at this time however i am hoping garmin will release new software in future that would provide similar functionality as provided for the gpsmap76s (and others):

* Added the option to turn off the recording of track points and vertical trip computer data by virtually turning off the altimeter. An altimeter status (on/off) determines when it is okay to save track points due to altitude changes and when to update the vertical trip computer.

this may provide some degree of savings in battery life.

I know you can turn the Electronic Compass on and off, but is their a way to disable the Barometric Altimeter and only use the GPS itself to calculate the altitude.

I want to conserve as much battery power as possible, and having a more accurate altitude while driving in the car isn't needed in my opinion.

Anyways, simple question- Can you disaable the Altimeter? If so how?

Taking pressure readings is not a power intensive operation, compared to the electronic compass, for example. I have a watch with an altimeter/barometer (Suunto). It records pressure readings at specific intervals for later display. It always does this. It's not something you can turn on or off. The watch runs for years on a single button battery.

Don't worry about it.

not at this time however i am hoping garmin will release new software in future that would provide similar functionality as provided for the gpsmap76s (and others):

* Added the option to turn off the recording of track points and vertical trip computer data by virtually turning off the altimeter. An altimeter status (on/off) determines when it is okay to save track points due to altitude changes and when to update the vertical trip computer.

How do I turn off the Altimeter on 76S, I did not find it.

(i don't know exactly - i sold my 76s to get my 60cs) - download the latest update for the 76s off garmin's website and then either on the altimeter page or possibly in setup/altimeter you'll find something there - sorry i can't give you anything more precise than this. maybe someone here with a 76s and 3.60 firmware can give you more specific assistance.

How do I turn off the Altimeter on 76S, I did not find it.

I turned my 76 off and alot of the vertical trip computer data went out of wack.

I'd leave it on. I get a long time with 2200 powerex rechargeables.