Letter To Person Holding My Bug For 6 Months

OenotheraClara

I often see posts that say "write a letter to the person who has had your bug too long" I am curious to know how exactly this is done..

My only bug has been in someone's hands for 6+ months. This geocacher is a VERY active geogacher in my local area, and he used to have a Travel Bug Hotel in Sacramento. I am assuming that he already knows that holding a travel bug up for six months is not what travel bugs are about. Any suggestions? It's my first and only bug, so far. Ideas?

Use the email this cacher function in the cachers profile. Then ask them about the bug. "You have been holding my travel bug for 6 months, when do you expect to realease it."

If that doesn't work then threaten to put their avitar on a voodoo doll and promist to always keep the tupperware away from the dall cursing them to a life long skunk streak.

I think I would like to refine my question: For people who have actually contacted a person who is holding up a bug, what exactly did you say (what wording works best) and, most importantly, did the mail you sent make any difference???

I'd love to try the tar and feathers approach, but I think he would actually enjoy that.....

copy of email i recently sent:

Just dropping a quick note to check up on the Travel bug " X X Xl"

you grabbed over the winter- I realize its been cold, and with the snow its hard to get out to cache  much- but thought I should at least check in, and see if you'll be

dropping him off anytime soon?

Not a major issue, just curious-

Let me know if you get a chance -

I tihnk the nice approach deserves at least 1 try- then a second, maybe slightly more agressive email- third one, turn on the burners -

But when / if you get no reply- then you might just be wasting your energy typing...

I think I would like to refine my question: For people who have actually contacted a person who is holding up a bug, what exactly did you say (what wording works best) and, most importantly, did the mail you sent make any difference???

I'd love to try the tar and feathers approach, but I think he would actually enjoy that.....

Someone has had once of my bugs for quite a while so I emailed them this:

"Hi there! I am the owner of (tb name) and I was just wondering if you still had him and if you planned on moving him soon. Thanks!"

Simple enough and polite. Unfortunately, the person that has him did not write me back. :rolleyes:

I think I would like to refine my question:  For people who have actually contacted a person who is holding up a bug, what exactly did you say (what wording works best) and, most importantly, did the mail you sent make any difference???

Someone has had once of my bugs for quite a while so I emailed them this:

"Hi there! I am the owner of (tb name) and I was just wondering if you still had him and if you planned on moving him soon. Thanks!"

Simple enough and polite. Unfortunately, the person that has him did not write me back. :lol:

TAR AND FEATHERS <_< TAR AND FEATHERS :rolleyes:

I too have sent out plenty of "nice" letters. I wonder if these people even check their email or if it may be filtered out.

Z.

I think I would like to refine my question:  For people who have actually contacted a person who is holding up a bug, what exactly did you say (what wording works best) and, most importantly, did the mail you sent make any difference???

Here is what we send:

--------------------------------------------------------------

""We routinely follow up on the progress of our Travel Bugs. We notice that you have had our bug for some time now. Could you update us on your plans for our bug?

Thanks for your help.""

------------------------------------------------------------

Makes a difference sometimes, last cacher that was active and FINALLY responded to this note told me he lost the bug.

I often see posts that say "write a letter to the person who has had your bug too long" I am curious to know how exactly this is done..

My only bug has been in someone's hands for 6+ months. This geocacher is a VERY active geogacher in my local area, and he used to have a Travel Bug Hotel in Sacramento. I am assuming that he already knows that holding a travel bug up for six months is not what travel bugs are about. Any suggestions? It's my first and only bug, so far. Ideas?

Not to be a complete downer but most people that do this are good people and I dont think they would really go out of there way and hold your TB hostage. First lets think about what if this person passed away :P

I mean that is really sad to say but you have no idea.

Instead of getting mad lets think of the possibilites.

You've got a better standing than most to inquire, since that's your one and only bug. I'd say something pitiful and abject like

I don't mean to pester you, but that TB you're holding is my only (or maybe "my very first") bug. Would you let me know if you've lost it or something?

Then I'd tar and feather him.

i don't email people unless they've had it over a year. alternately, i periodically send out notes asking if my bug has a ziploc and a bug sheet and would they please remove them if they found them taht way, and it serves as a lovely intro to the topic of "did you forget it somewhere?"

i have about a bazillion of these things because i'm an entropy junkie.

I'm in the same boat. A prominent cacher snagged one of my favorite TB's then gave him to his brother to place. His brother has not logged on since May.

I then E-mailed them and he told me that his brother was supposed to have placed it in one of his caches. I then asked if he would see what he could do about getting Ricky moving again.

Well a month went by without any activity, so I e-mailed him again, but got no reponse, I have tried several times since them but still get no reponse.

I placed a TB in a cache in March of this year and it was grabbed by a newbie on March 28, who found his first and last cache that day. He hasn't geocached since (It's now been 5 months and he still has the TB).

Here was what he wrote in the log when he grabbed it:

"Great little bug, I can't wait to assist its journey!"

I wrote him about a month ago....no response.

I just wrote him again and this time asked him to mail it to me. If he quit geocaching on his first day, obviously he won't take the time to place the TB in another cache. The request to mail it to me is my last effort to get it back. If I don't hear from him soon, then I'll have a TB memorial service.