How Much Memory Do You Need?

ncmtbiker

I am new to the sport and looking at differnet GPS units. How much memory do you need for mapping? How much memory does the US Topo maps take? How much memory is required to load the streets for a large city like Charlotte, NC. How much for the whole state?

I was looking at the eTrex Legend with 8MB. What can I load with 8MB? What could I do with 56MB?

When I had my Legend, I had topo maps of northern NJ, much of southern NY and all of southern VT loaded on it. When going out west, I loaded all of Sacramento and the entire American River valley all the way to Folsom on it. So it holds quite a bit.

On my Vista, I have all of NJ, NYC, Long Island. NY state to Albany. Most of the area around Erie PA (My inlaws live there), all of southern Vt and much of northern MA, with room to spare.o

How much memory is required to load the streets for a large city like Charlotte, NC. How much for the whole state?

This is just an estimate but it's close.

The whole state of NC would be around 35-40mb with Mapsource topo.

Charlotte about 750kb but that covers an area quite a bit larger than just Charlotte itself. There is not way to limit it to just the city with Mapsource Topo.

If roads are of primary importance to you some of the other Mapsource products, (other than topo), would be of better use. - JamesJM

I am new to the sport and looking at differnet GPS units. How much memory do you need for mapping? How much memory does the US Topo maps take? How much memory is required to load the streets for a large city like Charlotte, NC. How much for the whole state?

I was looking at the eTrex Legend with 8MB. What can I load with 8MB? What could I do with 56MB?

Using Mapsource City Select for Charlotte it was about 4Mb for just the city. When I selected the rest of the state it was about 44Mb. Some selections overlapped into adjoining states a little bit. All of NC is approximately 38 maps that make up that approximately 44Mb. Hope this answers your question more directly.