What does (D/T) mean on the Hide & Seek a Cache Page

MacPort

My husband and I have been trying to figure this out for a week and can't come up with anything that makes sense. Please answer this for us if you can, it's driving us crazy. We are just getting started and want to know everything!

Thanks for your help!

MacPort and The Hairy Iceberg

quote:
Originally posted by MacPort:

..... are just getting started and want to know everything!

Welcome to the fun!

The D/T designation refers the the difficulty rating of the hide itself, and the terrain surrounding it. A single star is the least difficult, 5 stars is the greatest difficulty and probably requires special equipment. For your first few caches, you might want to stay with one or two star difficulty ratings until you get the hang of things. After a while, you'll have a much better feel for where and how other Geocachers hide their caches and you will feel more confident moving into more difficult levels.

Somewhere on this site (I'm sure Markwell will repost a link to it), there is a method (or a link to a method) for rating the difficulties of the hide and the terrain that was developed by Clayjar. It's not only helpful if you're trying to hide a cache, but also gives a cache hunter a little better feel for what might be encountered while seeking a cache of a given rating. If you're interested, you might find it on the page pertaining to hiding a cache, that would be a logical place for it.

Have fun and hang in there. Again, welcome!

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

quote:
Originally posted by MiTuCats:

Somewhere on this site (I'm sure Markwell will repost a link to it), there is a method (or a link to a method) for rating the difficulties of the hide and the terrain that was developed by Clayjar. It's not only helpful if you're trying to hide a cache, but also gives a cache hunter a little better feel for what might be encountered while seeking a cache of a given rating. If you're interested, you might find it on the page pertaining to hiding a cache, that would be a logical place for it.

ClayJar's Geocache Rating Syatem

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

quote:
I just went to Clayjar's Rating system from the link above... What a wonderful tool! I think that this should be standard part of the form to fill out when submitting a cache. Great Job Clayjar! Thanks.

Kirk out.

Clayjar's system is a good one and I wish more people would use it. I do find that if you answer the questionnaire, the rating comes out a bit high. So I usually adjust it downward to fit the description of the rating.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Thank you everyone for all your helpful input and advice! I have to say I am totally shocked that someone answered me at all let alone 3 or 4 answers by noon... I hope to get the hang of this very soon so I can hide some caches of my own.

Sincerely,