Color Or Platinum

mires

I’m in the market for my first GPS and finally narrowed my choices to meridians. For similar price I could get

New Gold, Used Platinum and Refurbished Color.

Witch unit would you recommend?

Are compass really useful on platinum?

Do colors helps or it’s just eye candy?

In FAQ I read that Platinum uses about 25% more energy than gold. How match more Color would use (taking into account necessity to use backlight all the time, as mentioned in FAQ)?

All recommendations are welcome.

The TOPO looks awesome on the Color. I gave up my Platinum sensors for it. It does use more batteries though. The screen is almost black without the back light. I set the back light to 30 seconds. All I have to do is touch a button to light it up again.

Now I did use the compass in the Platinum. However I have always carried a real compass. So it was not painful to give the sensors up.

Believe it or not, this past February 14th I received my color meridian and Direct route. Within days i was dismayed with my purchase. The display gets washed out in daylight, the batteries get sucked dry in mere hours and it doesn't have the electronic compass/barometer.

I was able (thanks to alimony tax rebates), I ordered a Garmin 60CS and am now completely converted. This is what a GPS should do. Along with the City Select v5, I am now able to completely enjoy caching. The aout routing automatically adjusts if you miss your turn (direct route requires you to re-caclulate), and notifies you as the turn is coming up. The 60cs is a definite must have- no arguments- until Magellan gets their act back together and ups the ante.

I ordered a Garmin 60CS and am now completely converted.  This is what a GPS should do.  Along with the City Select v5, I am now able to completely enjoy caching.  The aout routing automatically adjusts if you miss your turn (direct route requires you to re-caclulate), and notifies you as the turn is coming up.  The 60cs is a definite must have- no arguments- until Magellan gets their act back together and ups the ante.

smilies-10503.png

mires didn't ask anything about the 60cs. Why did you think this was an ok time to say you bought a 60? The question was about two specific units. Stay on topic! :D

Edited by leatherman