"make This Page Printer Friendly" ???

Let me teach you a little secret. Go to the cache page and highlight the relevant useful information. (That's done by holding the left mouse key down and moving over the print.) Then at the top of your browser, go to File, Print, which brings up the print window. Click on selection (as opposed to all) click ok, and it will only print what you highlighted. Got it?

The make page freindly had it's problems. Some times it would print about 3 lines of usless information on a 2 nd page.

I went paperless a few weeks ago, that is a much better way if you have a pocket pc or a pda. It takes just a minute to down load more caches than you could do in a month.

Let me teach you a little secret. Go to the cache page and highlight the relevant useful information. (That's done by holding the left mouse key down and moving over the print.) Then at the top of your browser, go to File, Print, which brings up the print window. Click on selection (as opposed to all) click ok, and it will only print what you highlighted. Got it?

Ya know what? I think I like that better than print view. It's faster and I can include 1 or 2 of the last logs if I want.

I would still like to know why they took that away though.

Paperless is great and environmentally correct...but I still like to have some information in printed form. Give us our printer friendly page back!!

You get more information in a paperless form than you do with a print freindly paper sheet. With paper less you still get around 5 logs. When I was printing caches pages in the print freindly format it was just taking way to long. I would print out around 30 or forty caches at a time. It's just a waste of time, I still print one out if a new cache pops up and I want to try and get a FTF.

To take the printing trick on step further, after you print your cache page, double click on the map, which will bring up the mapquest site. Zoom in to the appropriate map (usually for me that is the second button) so that you can see the streets to the cache site, usually with the connecting freeway or major artery. Then click on the print, to bring up the print map, highlight JUST THE MAP, turn your cache page over and put that sheet back in the printer, print selection, and you have the driving map on the back of the cache page.

To take the printing trick on step further, after you print your cache page, double click on the map, which will bring up the mapquest site. Zoom in to the appropriate map (usually for me that is the second button) so that you can see the streets to the cache site, usually with the connecting freeway or major artery. Then click on the print, to bring up the print map, highlight JUST THE MAP, turn your cache page over and put that sheet back in the printer, print selection, and you have the driving map on the back of the cache page.

Good suggestion! Thanks! :)

Or you could be brave, Carleen, and use your new PDA. Are you suffering from paperless angst? :)

I'm getting used to paperless. It worked pretty well for me last weekend. I like to have a printed map for some caches to look at though (I'm finding the Garmin V maps to be a little tedious in some situations). In those instances, I might as well have some cache info on one side of the sheet and the map on the other! :)

Then put your new laptop in the car and sync up the GPS to the laptop. Voila! Big, readable maps.

I haven't printed a cache page or a map since last September. The true object of the game of geocaching is to avoid killing any trees. It's not about the numbers. Printing front and back, and/or using print-friendly pages, are incomplete solutions.

I would like for the "printer friendly" function to remain. My wife gave me a Pocket PC for Christmas so I now cache paperless. However, before that, I used the "printer friendly" function and printed a copy of the cache page to take with me. To prevent printing that extra sheet with only a couple of lines, I would use the file command, then the print command. I would then select to only print page 1. After I found the cache, I would then put the printed cache page in a top-loading sheet protector and put it in a binder in chronological order as a memento. I would also include other stuff inside the sheet protector that was significant to the cache. One example is a trail guide or informational pamphlet from a park that a cache was in. Another example is a virt such as the one in the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. I kept the stub of the ticket. I also wrote notes on the page such as what was traded in/out. Or, if a multi, the coordinates of the additional points. Now that I am a paperless geocacher, I will still print the page but only AFTER I find the cache.

What I like now is that a gpx file can be downloaded from the cache page. Not just a loc file.

Or you could be brave, Carleen, and use your new PDA.  Are you suffering from paperless angst?  :blink:

I'm getting used to paperless. It worked pretty well for me last weekend. I like to have a printed map for some caches to look at though (I'm finding the Garmin V maps to be a little tedious in some situations). In those instances, I might as well have some cache info on one side of the sheet and the map on the other! :D

I still like the printed versions. After I find the cache, I make hand-written notes on the page, and then save the front page from the cache report. I have all 196 of the ones I have found -- and a couple of times have looked back at some of my old notes. It is kind of like a geocaching diary. Perhaps silly, but I like it.

Some of us don't have pdas, and could barely afford the cheapest model of GPSr. If you can go paperless, that's great. If you can't, then its nice to have the necessary cache page with the driving map on the back. I too make notes of what I have found and traded on the cache, to remind me when writing my online logs. I have also given away the cache page to prospective new cachers I have told about the game. The printed cache page would also come in handy if I were ever questioned by police.

On my last multi-day hunt, I was all prepared to print off sat images and topo maps, as well as print friendly versions of the cache pages. I was smacking my head against the wall thinking of the printing time, ink cartridges and wasted paper.

I thought there had to be a better way.

I grabbed the satellite and topos off of lostoutdoors and printed them 6 to a page (tiny, but still readable). I had about 15 lined up, so it took my 2 pieces of paper to print all of the necessary maps.

I then went online to the cache pages and read through them looking for key pieces of information (parking coordinates, encrypted clues, special requirements, etc.), I copied and pasted these into a word document, and whaddaya know? It took less than a single side of paper to get the pertinent information. So I printed that on the back of the third map page.

All of the topo maps and satellite images, AND pertinent information from the cache page. All for 15 caches. Normally, even printing two-up, that would have meant at least 30 pieces of paper, and ink cartridge and time of printing. Now - two pieces of paper for the whole day, printed the whole thing in less than 5.

Admittedly, it's not paperless, but it worked.

The ONLY reason I would have for a PDA is for Geocaching. I've already got too many gadgets in my life to add one more. I can't justify to myself of SWMBO the purchase of a $300US piece of equipment in addition to the GPS to save my printing a couple pages of paper.

Markwell,

I do hope you didn't take my last post as making fun of people generally because they use paper. I was making fun of Carleenp because she recently did buy a PDA.

I'll make fun of you though, because you're whipped. Buy the PDA because you can store the honey-do list in it, and the grocery list so you don't ever forget anything ever again. Get a used one for $50. Or is even $50 below SWMBO's threshold of materiality?

The true object of the game of geocaching is to avoid killing any trees. It's not about the numbers. Printing front and back, and/or using print-friendly pages, are incomplete solutions.

You do know they grow trees for paper.. kind of like corn. If you stop using paper, see how many trees are left in Wisconsin. They'll cut them all down and plant something else. I have the same problem with those that think they are saving a tree if they buy an artificial one.

Kind of follows the argument against eating beef because it hurts the poor little cowsies. Cows are food and would not make good pets or be a big draw at the zoo. If you didn't eat them, they would become rare indeed.

:blink::D

You certainly don't need to point out the fallacious cow argument to someone who keeps three cages of signature items.

Why three cages? I'm glad you asked. One cage with the little boy hamsters, one cage with the little girl hamsters, and a third cage for breeding. When I go on a caching marathon, I need only plan in advance by transferring more hamsters from cages 1 and 2 into cage 3. The rest is magic.

You should see the looks on their faces as the selections are made for the big cage o' hamstersex fun. When you're staring at a future that involves being locked up in an ammo box, the stakes are fairly high.

But I digress. Using paper is cool, too.

Then put your new laptop in the car and sync up the GPS to the laptop. Voila! Big, readable maps.

I haven't printed a cache page or a map since last September. The true object of the game of geocaching is to avoid killing any trees. It's not about the numbers. Printing front and back, and/or using print-friendly pages, are incomplete solutions.

Uh oh! Does that mean I can't have free firewood? :D

I would like to get the laptop working in the car at some point, but I haven't figured out or even loaded all the mapping software yet. I'm slow with this stuff.

WARNING: OFF TOPIC FROM PRINT FRIENDLY (but my last post on the subject)

I do hope you didn't take my last post as making fun of people generally because they use paper.  I was making fun of Carleenp because she recently did buy a PDA.
Nah. I just wave my hand and say "Bah." :bad:

I'll make fun of you though, because you're whipped.
It's not so much the SWMBO as it is me. I just like to use her as an excuse. I'm not too turned on by another gadget in my life. I like the GPS and FRS, but that's about all I have for caching. I don't need to spend any more time in front of something else trying to get it to work, only to be worried about synchronizing and battery charging - blah, blah, blah. I spend all day in front of technology. I cache when I want to get AWAY from technology. ;)

OK - That was my last off topic post on this thread. Please resume your regularly scheduled discussion.

Edited by Markwell
On my last multi-day hunt, I was all prepared to print off sat images and topo maps, as well as print friendly versions of the cache pages. I was smacking my head against the wall thinking of the printing time, ink cartridges and wasted paper.

I thought there had to be a better way.

I grabbed the satellite and topos off of lostoutdoors and printed them 6 to a page (tiny, but still readable). I had about 15 lined up, so it took my 2 pieces of paper to print all of the necessary maps.

I then went online to the cache pages and read through them looking for key pieces of information (parking coordinates, encrypted clues, special requirements, etc.), I copied and pasted these into a word document, and whaddaya know? It took less than a single side of paper to get the pertinent information. So I printed that on the back of the third map page.

All of the topo maps and satellite images, AND pertinent information from the cache page. All for 15 caches. Normally, even printing two-up, that would have meant at least 30 pieces of paper, and ink cartridge and time of printing. Now - two pieces of paper for the whole day, printed the whole thing in less than 5.

Admittedly, it's not paperless, but it worked.

The ONLY reason I would have for a PDA is for Geocaching. I've already got too many gadgets in my life to add one more. I can't justify to myself of SWMBO the purchase of a $300US piece of equipment in addition to the GPS to save my printing a couple pages of paper.

that is exactly how I do it and it works great!! i never saw the need to print all the useless stuff on a cache page if all I need is the requirements, coords, hint and maybe a select log that might have important warnings etc