What Percentage Of Cachers Hit 100 Or More?

ssmt

Forgive me if this topic has been covered before, but I was curious if anyone has ever determined how many cachers hit triple digits in finds. I'm getting close to my hundredth cache and wonder if that's a low percentage milestone or not.

John

I have no idea. But my personal experience - meaning - people who have found caches I have hidden and found caches I have found that I have sort of come to know because their names show up often...

would indicate that I, with about 150 finds, would represent fewer finds than most but not by a lot. I'd guess 60% of those of whom I have some knowledge of their stats have more finds than I do.

I'd also guess that my experience is no where near what that % would be over all of geocaching. :rolleyes: - JamesJM

Not sure of the percentage, but is a lot. Not long ago, if you had a couple hundred cache finds, you were a god. Now there are probably close to 20 people with over 1,000 finds and people with 400-500 are a dime a dozen..

As an interesting aside, here are the top geocachers, nationwide as of 6/01:

erik 109

wtmrn 101

Gumby & Pokey 92

GLNash 92

denali 87

JoA 77

KF Quad Explorer 63

bent_twigs 63

erik881-r 59

Hasbro 57

AndiM 52

Daviskw 49

Moun10Bike 48

bunkerdave 47

Hillwilly 47

HFJohn 46

Wit Camp 44

hunt4elk 44

Bufford 42

metro 41

Buxley 40

deuce 40

And the top 10 a in Dec of that year. Now we start to see more familiar names:

Show Me the Cache 296

erik 274

denali 266

CCCooperAgency 238

stayfloopy 234

Gumby&Pokey 231

bunkerdave 228

Dhobby1 220

bent_twigs 213

BruceS 213

Edited by briansnat

If you go back to some of the older caches, especially in my area, you'll find many people who had 3 or 4 finds then dropped out of the game and aren't validated users anymore. I assume there were not any more caches in the area at the time, and they never came back to see if any were added. My theory that once people reach a certain number of finds, like perhaps 20 or 30, they have demonstrated that they have become 'hooked' enough to continue up into the hundreds. I am on pace to have 100 caches found just around the time I reach my 1 year caching anniversary this October. I'm pretty slow compared to those in my area who started recently and already have as many finds as me and more hides, but I'll get there eventually.

Well, I hope you're right about 30 or so being the magic number for most...

We have logged over thirty so far and we are still going. However, as Spring approaches we are finding it more difficult to find time to look for caches. The weather is more cooperative, but there are more things competing with our time as well. I am an avid boater, and now I will be spending my weekends prepping my boat for a glorious summer in the upper Chesapeake. Beyond that, I know from attempting to geocache a year or two ago with my brother-in-law, the tree canopy makes the sport a little more difficult to find many of the caches. Also, ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, sticker bushes, mud, etc... tend to detract from the cache experience. (at least for me and mine) I believe that we will continue to cache, but, oddly enough, late Autumn and Winter will probably be the most productive times for our crew.

I'm sure there are a lot of those who started and gave up after a couple - that would skew the results downward.

I envy those who live in larger cities. A 20 mile search in my area comes up with 18 caches. One from where my parents live in Dallas reveals nearly 450! Big difference! I made a pretty productive trip to Austin a while back and caching wasn't even the primary goal. I think I shall do that again just for the caches.

I like counting the numbers....gets me modivated....I am at 97 right now and am trying to find a great cache to make my 100.

Less than a year into this

On my 100th we had a rattle snake cross the trail about 20 feet in front of use, now the was COOL :)

Now I always had a camera with me, I bought I nice 4mb digital. I kind of doubt we will see another rattle snake.

A lot depends on the area you are caching in. Until recently SE Idaho did not have many caches so it took considerable time to reach 100, while the Boise area had a good deal more. It took me more than a year to reach 100, but the second 100 came a lot faster. I think that a lot of the cachers today with the higher counts don't realize how much easier these levels are to reach today. :)

Not really obsessed over numbers or stats, but our finds count does keep us motivated as well. We've found 85. Our original goal had been to find 100 by our 1 year anniversary (June 12th), but, we're so far ahead of the game on that, that we are adjusting the goal to a minimum of 120. We figure that will basically give us a cache found every third day, which would be kinda cool.

I'm pretty sure that most cachers are the ones that Enspyer talked about, the ones who found one cache in 2001, said on the log that they were hooked, and never went to find another one.

Aside from them, I think that 100 is the goal for most cachers, since it's the first number that actualy feels like a milestone (We found our 72nd cache, hooray!) that actually feels attainable, daring, but not too overboard. But, when one reaches 100, there really isn't very much good reason to stop, because there's always 200, and 300...

(and, in case anybody's curious, we've got 140 finds)

Howdy,

Sometimes we are obsessed with something and go "whole hog" for a time and then forget why we were so passionate. I forgot how fun geocaching can be for about 10 years until my wife and I decided to go biking in Park City, Utah for our 31st anniversary this week. With the smart phone technology, my wife decided maybe we should look for a few caches while we where out. I had forgotten the joy of hunting for the little treasures. Can't wait for my next find.

I'm back,

Hunt4elk

Would you think it has a lot to do with location? Around here people may geocache 2-3 times and quit. Providing they are going after the quick caches, that could be 20-100 or 100-300 depending on if they live in an area with high saturation.

So saturation => find more before quitting? I think perhaps the opposite would be true for me, as the finds in a saturated area would feel that much less special.

Would you think it has a lot to do with location? Around here people may geocache 2-3 times and quit. Providing they are going after the quick caches, that could be 20-100 or 100-300 depending on if they live in an area with high saturation.

Hunt4elk dug up an old topic from 2004. Geocaching was different in 2004. People found far fewer caches back then.

There have been major advances in paperless caching since then. While paperless caching has been around for a while it had been very clunky and cobbled together. You usually needed a PDA, you had to download the info for each geocache individually (or purchase a program to do it for you) and you still had to manually input the coordinates in to your GPS. The first GPS to offer paperless geocaching changed all that and made things like power trails possible.

With the Groundspeak Geocaching Phone App and paperless GPS units it is so much easier to quickly get to 100 cache finds. Before the paperless revolution people were deciding if they liked geocaching after only a couple of finds. Now people are finding tens of caches and easily a hundred caches before deciding if they like geocaching and to when level they will participate in the hobby.

Edited by Glenn

Howdy,

Sometimes we are obsessed with something and go "whole hog" for a time and then forget why we were so passionate. I forgot how fun geocaching can be for about 10 years until my wife and I decided to go biking in Park City, Utah for our 31st anniversary this week. With the smart phone technology, my wife decided maybe we should look for a few caches while we where out. I had forgotten the joy of hunting for the little treasures. Can't wait for my next find.

I'm back,

Hunt4elk

Oh-oh, 2004 Zombie thread. I was around, but didn't even post to the forums until 2005. But hunt4elk had good reason to bump, welcome back!!

There are still less than 200,000 cachers WORLDWIDE who have found 200 caches, according to cacherstats.com. Even with the very basic 200,000/5,000,000 calculation, that's only an incredible 4% of accounts. And it's actually under 4%, because there are really only 191,000+ 200 or more finders, and more than 5,000,000 accounts.

EDIT: Yeah, I know the OP way back when said 100 finds, but cacherstats.com is all we have to go on. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I definitely think your locale has a huge impact on your numbers. I have 600 caches to my name and am not even close to the top of the list in my area. Here in SouthEastern PA there are several dozen cachers with over a thousand and at least one that I've met with over 30,000. Of course you need to factor in what constitutes a "found" cache and how legit the finds are. For instance, one cacher with 2000+ has a log that reads "I did not find this cache, but after water, mud, stinging nettles. I'm logging it. It appers to be gone. I searched for about an hour. Figured for what I went through to get there I wasn't giving up. Alas to no avail Well I tried." which is not a valid find. Others have inflated numbers because they attend events and the like.

Edited by DubbleG
Others have inflated numbers because they attend events and the like.

Logging an event isn't inflating your numbers. Logging an "attended" for each event cache you found at a single event (so you have a dozen logs for a single event) is, IMHO.

I doubt that attending events significantly impacts total find counts but there are certainly areas which have a *lot* more events than others. There was a recent thread about listing areas where there are monthly events. I've seen some areas where events occur almost weekly. Where I live there may be 2-3 events within 40 miles a year.

In general, where one happens to live probably has the greatest impact on how easy it is to reach 100 (or 1000) finds. There are many places where there are thousands of caches within a 20 mile radius and probably hundreds of power trails with 200 or more caches that could easily be found in a weekend. For most of the rest of the world, finding 100 caches is quite an achievement and it's not just remote, unpopulated spots in the middle of nowhere. Of the top ten most populated cities in Africa (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia comes in 10th with about 3.3 million people) I doubt that any of them have more than 10 caches with 50 miles. There is a huge amount of diversity in the density of caches in this globally played game.

Not sure of the percentage, but is a lot. Not long ago, if you had a couple hundred cache finds, you were a god. Now there are probably close to 20 people with over 1,000 finds and people with 400-500 are a dime a dozen..

I would disagree about the number 20. I know at least 20 people near me with way over that.

I would disagree about the number 20. I know at least 20 people near me with way over that.

Check the date on the post that you are replying too. It is from 2004. Caches weren't as plentiful back then. There was only about 20 in my county in 2004. Now there are at least 20 in my town.

Love these old bumped topics. :D

Just for laughs I check my stats and found that it took 12 months to get to 75 finds and 14 months to get to 100. :P It was at an event, meet and greet, and when they found out I was going for 100 they suggested a cache. When I got there they had beat me to it and left special swag just for me, cool. :D My 'best' day was 62 on a power trail last year, could have got a couple of hundred but got borred driving a 1/10 of a mile picking up a film can. :o

This is one of the more interesting zombie threads I've seen. Thanks for resurrecting it from the depths of geocaching history.

How interesting to know that back in the old days, finding 100 caches was quite the achievement. I hadn't thought of it, but I guess that makes sense with so fewer caches listed.

Nowadays, it seems like there are a lot of quadruple-digit finders. Almost to the point where 1,000+ cache finds is "standard".

Not for us, though. Members for 7 years and only 314 cache finds. We're slackers, I guess. :D

B.

Others have inflated numbers because they attend events and the like.

Logging an event isn't inflating your numbers. Logging an "attended" for each event cache you found at a single event (so you have a dozen logs for a single event) is, IMHO.

+1. I'm at ground zero for this abuse.

You ain't kiddin'

Better yet, when that event listing comes up this year (it's an annual event), check out the .GPX file of "temporary caches" (they take it down off the cache page after the event). They're usually about 200-300 feet apart. :ph34r:

I stand by my statement as made in March of 2004.

Hunt4elk dug up an old topic from 2004. Geocaching was different in 2004. People found far fewer caches back then.

There have been major advances in paperless caching since then. While paperless caching has been around for a while it had been very clunky and cobbled together. You usually needed a PDA, you had to download the info for each geocache individually (or purchase a program to do it for you) and you still had to manually input the coordinates in to your GPS. The first GPS to offer paperless geocaching changed all that and made things like power trails possible.

With the Groundspeak Geocaching Phone App and paperless GPS units it is so much easier to quickly get to 100 cache finds. Before the paperless revolution people were deciding if they liked geocaching after only a couple of finds. Now people are finding tens of caches and easily a hundred caches before deciding if they like geocaching and to when level they will participate in the hobby.

I think the numbers we see today have far more to do with the incredible number of caches than advances in paperless caching. Close to 2 million caches available today. I don't think we broke 250,000 yet in 2004.

Yesterday was a good example. We had an event on a local reservoir. Some attendees found as many as 24 caches. In 2004 there was one cache hidden on that reservoir. I'm sure they could have found all 24 just as easily using an older GPS and Cachemate.

Check this manually updated site (room for error) for some stats:

Most caches found / hidden

I'm only at 119 found, 2 hidden in about 9 months. Wow, some are really dedicated! My 20 mile search from 91307 SoCal shows 844 - looks like I have some work to do!

I hadn't seen this site before. I assumed it was no longer happening, but found out I'm wrong.

This is obviously not manually updated as it includes the caches I found today!!!!

This is more up to date than "cacherstats.com"

Oh-oh, 2004 Zombie thread. I was around, but didn't even post to the forums until 2005. But hunt4elk had good reason to bump, welcome back!!

There are still less than 200,000 cachers WORLDWIDE who have found 200 caches, according to cacherstats.com. Even with the very basic 200,000/5,000,000 calculation, that's only an incredible 4% of accounts. And it's actually under 4%, because there are really only 191,000+ 200 or more finders, and more than 5,000,000 accounts.

EDIT: Yeah, I know the OP way back when said 100 finds, but cacherstats.com is all we have to go on. :D

check out the TOP OF THE PAGE on cacherstats.com

It says,

"Rankings for Geocachers

with 200 or More Finds"

There is a reason why it doesn't include all those cachers. There are TONS of them!!!

Just start looking at logs when you log them online. It is far from 4%

I've been paying attention to this off and on for some time. It does vary a lot depending on where you are.

When I cache in cache dense regions the percentages are higher for sure.

I'm only at 119 found, 2 hidden in about 9 months. Wow, some are really dedicated! My 20 mile search from 91307 SoCal shows 844 - looks like I have some work to do!

Wow, just checked out the above link. According to geocaching.com there are 1,867,336 caches hidden around the world. The top finder according to the above link is Alamogul with only 71,080 finds. Looks like we're all slackers huh?

Makes my 342 look pitiful.

This might be a little bit off topic but still relevant to the conversation.

I heard somewhere (and this might just be a rumor or my memory failing me) but the typical account here on geocaching.com has ZERO finds. I assume it is because there are so many people who created an account (presumably to see what the website was about) and never logged a find.

As far as the percentage of cachers to find 100 goes, I would think it is a pretty low number. If you take Mr.Yuck's figure of under 4% have found over 200 caches (which I think looks right on) then it is not hard to imagine that half that number (roughly 2%) have under 100 finds.

I heard somewhere (and this might just be a rumor or my memory failing me) but the typical account here on geocaching.com has ZERO finds. I assume it is because there are so many people who created an account (presumably to see what the website was about) and never logged a find.

As far as the percentage of cachers to find 100 goes, I would think it is a pretty low number. If you take Mr.Yuck's figure of under 4% have found over 200 caches (which I think looks right on) then it is not hard to imagine that half that number (roughly 2%) have under 100 finds.

In theory (assuming Groundspeak has structured their database well), it should be very simple for someone (a lackey) with access to a copy of the log database to run those kinds of numbers. They probably have done it, for marketing/sales/advertising data.

I don't expect Groundspeak will ever divulge that information, though.

I hadn't seen this site before. I assumed it was no longer happening, but found out I'm wrong.

This is obviously not manually updated as it includes the caches I found today!!!!

This is more up to date than "cacherstats.com"

check out the TOP OF THE PAGE on cacherstats.com

It says,

"Rankings for Geocachers

with 200 or More Finds"

There is a reason why it doesn't include all those cachers. There are TONS of them!!!

Just start looking at logs when you log them online. It is far from 4%

I've been paying attention to this off and on for some time. It does vary a lot depending on where you are.

When I cache in cache dense regions the percentages are higher for sure.

I meant the first website is "manual" in that he needs to be informed of people to put on the list. I mean there was a time Room 104 only had a few hides. They eventually had to work their way on to the list, and he had to hear about them. Then after that, once you're on the list I'm sure he's just pulling data from your profile. Who knows how he's doing that.

I'm not following the second part. Are you disputing cacherstats.com's count that there are 191,000 200 or more find cachers world-wide? Nope, I believe it. :)

To answer another post (don't want to go quote happy) Unscientific data shows about 1/2 of the 5,000,000 accounts have never found or hidden a cache. It's just people signing up for a free account on the internet. If anyone asks, I can give more detail about the unscientific data. :lol:

Within the past year or so, The Groundspeak CEO has stated right here in the forums the median number of cache finds for a Geocaching.com account is 34. Oh look, I found that pretty fast; here it is:

Jeremy post

Edited by Mr.Yuck

This might be a little bit off topic but still relevant to the conversation.

OMG my lateral thinking is just horrible today. Let me rephrase what I attempted to say up there:

As far as the percentage of cachers to find 100 goes, I would think it is a pretty low number. If you take Mr.Yuck's figure of under 4% have found over 200 caches (which I think looks right on) then it is not hard to imagine that half that number (roughly 2%) have OVER 100 finds. So that would mean that 98% of all accounts have 100 finds or less...and only 2% of all accounts find 100+ caches.

Okay, here is my totally unofficial research:

I took a very popular cache in downtown Vancouver BC - high traffic with cachers from around the world. Olympic 2010 TB Hotel

The numbers for the cachers who have logged in the last three months are:

1-99 Finds: 34

100-200 Finds: 25

201-500 Finds: 38

501-1000 Finds: 29

1001+ Finds: 50

What does this mean? I'm not sure, I'm not a statistician. But it looks like a somewhat even number of people in each category. A better question might be to see who is still "active" - ie: caching every few weeks or more.

......... I think the number of cachers is ridiculously exaggerated.

A very recent widely advertised, worldwide event only had 94,000 people at 250 gathering spots.

Pretty lame turn out for such a huge craze.

Shhhh.... don't let the advertisers hear that! :ph34r:

There's a bump. :)

Um, Exman, I wouldn't read anything to that. I, and at least half a dozen Geocachers I know personally, despise Flash Mob Events, and would NEVER attend one.

As a matter of fact, an 18 year old was arrested in my area a couple weeks ago for planning a real flash mob in public. So it's good thing for you Flash Mob event afficienado's that Geocaching Flash Mob's aren't real Flash Mob's. :lol:

I took a very popular cache in downtown Vancouver BC - high traffic with cachers from around the world. Olympic 2010 TB Hotel

What does this mean? I'm not sure, I'm not a statistician. But it looks like a somewhat even number of people in each category. A better question might be to see who is still "active" - ie: caching every few weeks or more.

It means there are some serious addiction going on. Some are more hardcore than others. :laughing:

It means there are some serious addiction going on. Some are more hardcore than others. :laughing:

I thought it was interesting to look at the number for finds for those that have logged the ET Power trail caches. A fairly high number of them have 5 digit finds, probably more than the number of caches in my State that have that many finds. One particular log stood out. The cacher had 1100 something finds with a join date two days prior to hitting the trail. At the time, that was more finds than I have had in 5 years of geocaching.

I thought it was interesting to look at the number for finds for those that have logged the ET Power trail caches. A fairly high number of them have 5 digit finds, probably more than the number of caches in my State that have that many finds. One particular log stood out. The cacher had 1100 something finds with a join date two days prior to hitting the trail. At the time, that was more finds than I have had in 5 years of geocaching.

must have a very comfortable armchair and a good bot. :rolleyes:

we found our number 2000 yesterday

a special and difficult multi was choosen for that "special" mile stone cache.

tomorrow I expect to find 300-400 caches !!!

I will be in a race with some friends, our goal is to brake all local records of how many pr day.

Where will you be finding these 300-400 caches? A power trail?