What Percentage Of Cachers Hit 100 Or More?

ssmt

Right now I am over 500 finds in less than three years. The first calendar year I found 2 - probably right after I got a GPS for Christmas. I then went on a 457 consecutive day streak without a find before I "rediscovered" geocaching. I was camping with some relatives and their son wanted to find a cache nearby. I remembered that I had an app on my phone, grabbed my son, and we went to find a couple of caches. I returned from the trip, found my GPS device, and realized there were several caches near my son's lacrosse practice field. Instead of sitting in the car waiting for him, I started to go caching.

Last year, I found just over 200. Mostly from hiking with my family, going to lacrosse practices, and riding my bike. This year I have found over 340 caches so far which came mostly from bike rides and hiking with the puppy. I like to ride my bike, but hate doing the same loop over and over again so geocaching helps me pick a unique route and allows me to find a few caches each time.

If it wasn't for that camping trip, I would probably be one of those people that found a couple of caches and quit.

we found our number 2000 yesterday

a special and difficult multi was choosen for that "special" mile stone cache.

tomorrow I expect to find 300-400 caches !!!

I will be in a race with some friends, our goal is to brake all local records of how many pr day.

I found one cache today, but it was 9402 miles from home and was for the 16th country in which I've found a cache. Now my "Home Location Stats" section has distinct caches on four different continents for the farthest, north, south, east, and west finds.

I will be in a race with some friends, our goal is to brake all local records of how many pr day.

I found one cache today, but it was 9402 miles from home and was for the 16th country in which I've found a cache. Now my "Home Location Stats" section has distinct caches on four different continents for the farthest, north, south, east, and west finds.

I totally want to be you when I grow up! I just have three countries under my belt (not Mexico or Canada, though).

I been caching now for about three years. My first year I found 278 caches. The second year I found over 300. I'm in my third year and closing in on 300. I'm in a rural area but there are parts of the area that have four or five in the same park or state game lands. I really enjoy doing this so I guess that way my numbers are what they are. The ease of what people are finding play a big part. The first year I mostly went after larger caches so I wasn't looking for mircos. Now an area that is made up of a lot of those is going to have people giving up quicker then an area that has the ammo can or even a lock n lock. My area now is getting into more of the mircos in any place that will hold one or into how well can I cammo a mirco. I'm not that great with mircos but I have found my share of them.

Okay, here is my totally unofficial research:

I took a very popular cache in downtown Vancouver BC - high traffic with cachers from around the world. Olympic 2010 TB Hotel

The numbers for the cachers who have logged in the last three months are:

1-99 Finds: 34

100-200 Finds: 25

201-500 Finds: 38

501-1000 Finds: 29

1001+ Finds: 50

What does this mean? I'm not sure, I'm not a statistician. But it looks like a somewhat even number of people in each category. A better question might be to see who is still "active" - ie: caching every few weeks or more.

No, not at all. This doesn't mean they are equal! Think of it this way: What if you lived on a small planet where there were 1000 caches, and on each log you found 10 people with 1 find, and 10 people with 1000 finds. Clearly each of the "found 1" finders would be unique on each cache. On that planet then, there would be 1000x10=10,0000 "found 1" people, and just the 10 "found 1000" people.

Your numbers above would say that about 1% of the people in your area have at least 1000 finds and maybe 10-15% have more than 100.

Edited by Fredact

I totally want to be you when I grow up! I just have three countries under my belt (not Mexico or Canada, though).

Got country #17 today during a 7 hour layover in Tokyo. Ironically, although I live in the U.S. and only about 3 hours from the Canadian border I've yet to find a cache in Mexico or Canada (no Caribbean islands either).

Got country #17 today during a 7 hour layover in Tokyo. Ironically, although I live in the U.S. and only about 3 hours from the Canadian border I've yet to find a cache in Mexico or Canada (no Caribbean islands either).

My two additional countries are Costa Rica and South Korea. Despite begging in an I'm-sure-undignified-manner, Geocaching wouldn't let me bulid a virtual in North Korea within the confernce rooms at the DMZ.

My two additional countries are Costa Rica and South Korea. Despite begging in an I'm-sure-undignified-manner, Geocaching wouldn't let me bulid a virtual in North Korea within the confernce rooms at the DMZ.

I've also found a couple of caches in Costa Rica. Which ones did you find? I spoke with someone at the Conference I was at in Malaysia last week that spent some time in North Korea. He said he actually enjoyed it but it didn't sound like it would be very conducive to Geocaching. I have no other out of country trips planned but the conference I attended will be in Lisbon next fall and I've never been to Portugal.

I've also found a couple of caches in Costa Rica. Which ones did you find? I spoke with someone at the Conference I was at in Malaysia last week that spent some time in North Korea. He said he actually enjoyed it but it didn't sound like it would be very conducive to Geocaching. I have no other out of country trips planned but the conference I attended will be in Lisbon next fall and I've never been to Portugal.

Just one, in Guanacaste: http://coord.info/GCPWH8 -- cost me about $50 in cab fare to get there and back from where I was staying -- but totally worth it.

Certainly caching in any traditional sense in North Korea would be suicidal. My notion -- and I assumed it wouldn't fly -- was to have a virtual for being in the conference room at the DMZ where you can walk into the first 15' of North Korea while still protected by South Korean MPs. Mostly, I was trying to scam a way to be the first guy to ever get a cache in the DPRK, but it didn't happen! Ah well!