First To Find

Wal-Mart Man

This is a question for all to get opinions on how to handle a FTF problem. I placed an envelope with FTF (First To Find) written on the front and inside I placed a $10.00 gift certificate to Wal*Mart... The problem is that the FTF person failed to take the envelope. The question is: should I contact the FTF and offer to send the envelope to him/her or should I take the envelope out and place it in the next new cache I establish or just leave the envelope in the current cache for whoever comes across it ?????

Thanks for your input!

Wal*Mart Man and Aaron

[This message was edited by Wal-Mart Man on August 10, 2003 at 09:13 AM.]

Nah, leave it for the next person. I've had FTFers

leave behind FTF prizes before...some pretty nice ones too, like new GC.COM hats and Swiss Army TOOLS (real ones, not knockoffs).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Leave it for the next finder. I recently passed up a nice set of binoculars because I already had a few sets. The next guy that came along grabbed them in a heartbeat.

If I take the time to look through a cache, then I get what I look for, otherwise I may as well take a pass.

I recently almost overlooked a travelbug and didn't see it until I read the log.

"I cache; therefore I am"

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Now for the disenting opinion.

These caches are your babies. You make the rules, the plays are all out of your playbook.

How is he going to make anybody take the FTF prize if they don't want to?

I'm one of those who very rarely takes the FTF prize. I like being first to find a cache, but I'm not really all that interested in the goodies inside, so I leave those valuable FTF prizes for someone who is.

We quite often leave a first to find bonus -- if the FTF doesn't take the item then it is left for another person if they wish to take it. We usually specify on the cache page that only the FTF can take the item without leaving a trade item -- all others must leave a trade item. If you want to see how we word it on the cache page, look here, towards the bottom of the page.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

How is he going to make anybody take the FTF prize if they don't want to?

Clearly he can't. What I was trying to get at is that he could do what he wants to solve the problem. Make it a Second Time Finder prize. leave it alone, double up the FTF prize for his next cache placment, or delete the log of every "FTF" who doesn't take it when he makes it a FTF logging rule.