Garmin E Trex...

Hello everyone...

My name is Jeffrey and I am very new to Geocaching. I have just bought a used (opened, but batteries were never put in it) Garmin e Trex. I am going to be using this for Youth Trips (my excuse for getting it...) and for Geocaching (my reason for getting it!).

I paid $70.00 for it so it is a rather small investment for me. But I have a couple of questions for anyone that can help. I have done a search, but did not find anything on my questions...

1. It states that you cannot upload maps, but when reading online I see that people are saying how valuable the maps are...are there maps already included with it?

2. It states that I can go in and use up to 10 waypoints and then turn myself around and track myself back using these points that I created. Then I read that it does not have this option??? Does it?

3. Is this going to be a good GPS to use for Geocaching? If it works for starters...then I might get something else.

I have alot of teens that like to hike and be outside in general...so I am hoping to get another group of young people interested and involved in Geocaching. Any advice would be appreciated (regarding my GPS - I will start another thread regarding getting a youth group involved)

Thanks everyone!

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to the world of GPS!

You're correct in that the eTrex series* of GPS's can't accept maps. You can, however, interface the GPS to a computer and plot your position, up/download waypoints and tracks with various mapping software.

It's handy for placing waypoints based on map features.

* except for the eTrex Legend

-ben

Pine Barrens Outdoor Outfitters

www.pboutdoor.com

Edited by ZippySLC

Your GPS will not have maps that display on this screen. However it will interface with a computer, laptop, or PDA with the right cables and software. You an use computer based topo maps to generate a route for backroad trails. You can use a PDA with Mapopolis to route you from point A to point B. It's not as handy as a GPS that does that but the GPS will teach you the ins and outs, you will have time to figure out what you want in a GPS and you will know what to upgrade to when the time comes.

The GPS is fine for geocaching and will serve you well. At some point you will probably want a computer cable though.

Maps are really overrated on a GPS for geocaching and such. Once you plot in your destination... you have a general idea of where you are heading using the track to features, and just keep driving/walking/flying/etc in that direction till you get closer, then start walking to it. Maps on the other hand can be usful if you plot a location, then want to zoom out and find out where that thing is in relation to things.

I had one for about a year and a half. I then went with the legend but I have to say that the little box was great. It may not have maps but it does show you the breadcrumb path you've left which can be an asset. Paper maps are not really ever obsolete. They are a great reference tool. Welcome and have fun.