Tb Credit.........

Squirrel Nutkin

Ok, so here is the situation: I have a TB which has been sitting in a cache for at least a month now. Twice people have gone to the cache, logged finding it, then replaced the bug. This really confuses me since the people never took the TB, nor did they really do anything other than see it. At the end of the day though, they get credit for grabbing a bug when in fact they did nothing.....this can't be "legal".....can it?

Well that's a new one. Finding TB's and logging them like caches.

"Found the TB, and man was it hard. I had to move some stuff aside in the ammo can it was found in. Fortunatly the contents were dry and I didn't get my hands dirty. I like hunting TB's and hope to do this again. Whats with this GCXXX number painted on the container the TB is in though?"

Well that's a new one. Finding TB's and logging them like caches.

"Found the TB, and man was it hard. I had to move some stuff aside in the ammo can it was found in. Fortunatly the contents were dry and I didn't get my hands dirty. I like hunting TB's and hope to do this again. Whats with this GCXXX number painted on the container the TB is in though?"

:):rolleyes::ph34r::P

I have actually seen that done quite often when I have been browing caches! I do not understand why someone would "retrieve" a TB then immediately "drop" a travel bug into the same cache to get credit for a TB find. I would never do that as you are not actually helping the bug out on the mission. What I do if I do not take a TB is to make a note when I log the cache saying which TB is in the cache and that I was unable to help it out. That way, if the owner of the TB is watching the cache, they know that it is still there. I do not care about find numbers so that is probably why I do not take and drop TBs everytime I see one in the cach.

What you are talking about is the same thing I have seen happen in event logs where there will be 20 logs on a bug saying that they saw "X" bug at X event.

OK! I'm "guilty" of this.

If I can take a TB and help it along, I will. If I think the TB is cool and I want to have a record that I saw it I retrieve and drop.

What's the big deal? There's no competition for the most travel bugs found? It sends out two e-mails, but if you're going to put TBs out, you've agreed to get the e-mail related to them.

In fact, I actually got the idea from someone doing that to one of mine.

If that's the way folks wanna play the game, that's fine by me....it's better than someone actually taking it that can't help it along, or totally losing it forever. What does it matter how many times a TB is logged?

Yup....the only "snag" is: What if, I have followed someone who has intentions of logging the bug out & into the same cache? But, I have physically grabbed the bug from the cache and am about to log my grab when I get home, only to find that the bug is temporarily missing from the cache page? Now, I would go to the bug's page and see it "in the hands of..." and wonder.....WTF? Should I just have a tug-o-war with the bug? Email the current holder? Wait for them to answer my email? What a BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!

The scenario is not that far-fetched if you think about it.

Just my 2 cents.......(NOT really directed at you, Sparky.....just needed something to quote) :P:rolleyes::ph34r:

OK! I'm "guilty" of this.

If I can take a TB and help it along, I will. If I think the TB is cool and I want to have a record that I saw it I retrieve and drop.

What's the big deal? There's no competition for the most travel bugs found? It sends out two e-mails, but if you're going to put TBs out, you've agreed to get the e-mail related to them.

In fact, I actually got the idea from someone doing that to one of mine.

Idon't have a problem with this. I have also seen this and many leave a note like "Found TB, but due to not being able to move it in the right direction, did not take". I agree with Sparky on this one, better to have them log it as a find and put it back in the cache, than take it way out if its way, especially if its close to its goal.

The deal is that 'bugs found' is a bit vauge. It could mean you've actually found and moved (hopefully toward the the goal) that many. Or it could be that you've just 'found' the serial number somewhere, maybe someone you cache with (or part of a team), maybe in a logbook, maybe in a cache somewhere, maybe you 'saw' them all at an event.

Theres nothing prohibiting this, for caches its clear your supposed to sign the logbook and do whatever else the cache owner wants. With TB's there is no logbook...

OTOH the 'bugs found' for most people would seem to be those that they have actually picked up and MOVED to another place (cache). So maybe that should be what 'found' means? Or maybe as has been brought up before, change the count to 'bugs moved', so its clearer what the number actually means.

[The deal is that 'bugs found' is a bit vauge.

From Dictionary.com: Found: 1. To come upon, often by accident; meet with.

If I hadn't found the bugs in the cache, I wouldn't have the number to log it. It does not say Bugs Moved.

And, FYI, I only do this/would do this with bugs I actually see in caches I find.

Edited by Bull Moose
Yup....the only "snag" is: What if, I have followed someone who has intentions of logging the bug out & into the same cache?

When I do it, the bug isn't missing from the cache page for any longer than it takes me to write my log.

And actually, if you grabbed it from me while I was writing the log, it wouldn't matter to me. Once I have logged it as "retrieved from..." it is in my stats. Whether I put it back in the cache or it is grabbed from me doesn't make any difference.

From Dictionary.com: Found: 1. To come upon, often by accident; meet with.

If I hadn't found the bugs in the cache, I wouldn't have the number to log it. It does not say Bugs Moved.

And, FYI, I only do this/would do this with bugs I actually see in caches I find.

Thats been pointed out before I think, and is exactly what im referring to when I say 'The TB Stat would make more sense if the wording were changed to Bugs Moved, so the number is accurate, not just whatever each person has logged.'

As was in my last post, you can get the number other places than from a cache. There have been bugs that were at events and were 'found' by several people, even though it actually left the event with just one. Exactly :rolleyes: , and I'm quite aware it doesn't say 'bugs moved'. To repeat so everyone knows this, It does not say bugs moved, its bug's found.

BTW- Bull Moose Im not knocking what you or others do, just pointing out that not everyone keeps their 'accounts' the same way.

Yup....the only "snag" is: What if, I have followed someone who has intentions of logging the bug out & into the same cache?

When I do it, the bug isn't missing from the cache page for any longer than it takes me to write my log.

And actually, if you grabbed it from me while I was writing the log, it wouldn't matter to me. Once I have logged it as "retrieved from..." it is in my stats. Whether I put it back in the cache or it is grabbed from me doesn't make any difference.

Yup, I can't really see that this would be much of a possibility, since it only takes a couple of minutes to log out and back into a cache. The chances of two people trying to log the same bug at the same instant are pretty remote.

I don't mind at all if cachers do a quick log of my TB out and into the same cache. I acutally find that useful in knowing the "well being" of my TB. I am glad to know that it is still in existance and not just floating in nowhereland.

Kirk out.

When they do this they should also mention in their cache log that they saw it. This would alert future seekers of the cache that the TB is actually there and not a "ghost" .