Run In's With Other Cachers.

My father has a similar philosophy with air travel. He figures that instead of banning weapons on planes, you hand EVERYONE that boards the plane a loaded gun.

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :lol::blink:  :lol:

:lol: Yea right, and if you have live pigs and nekkid flight attendents on board it will stop them too. :D

My father has a similar philosophy with air travel. He figures that instead of banning weapons on planes, you hand EVERYONE that boards the plane a loaded gun.

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :lol::blink:  :lol:

:lol: Yea right, and if you have live pigs and nekkid flight attendents on board it will stop them too. :D

Must you mention naked flight attendants and pigs in the same sentence....I've got this mental image of Mimi from the Drew Carey show, naked offering me some more peanuts. Now I know why I wake up screaming in the middle of the night.

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :lol: :lol:  :D

:lol: Yea right, and if you have live pigs and nekkid flight attendents on board it will stop them too. :lol:

Porky Pig could stop them. He only wears a shirt and I hear he kicks like a mule. :blink:

I've had only good experiences with the cachers I've met on the trails and at events. We went to our first event just 2 weeks after we started caching in August of 2003, and every cacher there made us feel welcome. Since then I've been to several events and have run into a couple of cachers on the trails and without fail all have been pleasant and friendly. Looking forward to meeting even more cachers in the future!

Well, I've only met one geocacher and she was very friendly and nice. Not exactly an overwhelming study sample, but still...

John

Ah! THANKS! The cacher he met was ME! Granted, he met me at work and I didn't have a ton of time to chat but we got along nicely and it was great to meet someone coming to find one of my caches.

The only people I have ever met while actually caching (not at an event, etc) was Team Chizbop. They were a nice group of people. We hunted for the cache together and had a great time.

Thankfully, I have never met any "caching jerks". :bad:

I've run into geocachers twice, both great experiences.

My first was while vacationing in California (I'm from Ohio). A cacher was out with his kids when I arrived. He noticed me staring intently at my hand and guessed what I was doing. I added to the search, yet we both came up empty handed. Since I was just a day or two away from returning home, and I had two unplaced travel bugs, he took them off my hands and placed them into local caches for me. I really appreciated that.

Second time, I ran into two ladies looking for their first find. They weren't familiar with their brand new GPS, so I showed them how to enter waypoints. Haven't run into them since, but I e-mail back and forth with them.

All and all, everyone seems great, but someone who recently found a cache in my area told me that he was letting his kids try and find the cache after he spotted it, but another geocacher who saw where he was looking at first grabbed it, not letting the kids find it. That could be misunderstanding. Also, the cacher apparently took a mint steel penny and swapped it for a regular ole' recent penny. Did not log the "trade" either. Again, could be misunderstanding, but it's the only story I have personal experience with that would suggest any type of bad runin. Everyone else has been fantastic.

I have run into cachers on the trail a few times and been very happy to meet them. We had a caching picnic last May with a pretty nice turnout and people could not have been nicer! We are looking forward to do it again. I met one particular cacher who is now one of my best friends. I highly recomend going to a meet and greet. We had cachers with single digit finds, one of the most prolific cache teams in CCCooper Agency, and other notables such as the CITO Queen Miss Jenn, and Lephrechaun from Pittsburg.

I've worked in customer service for about 15 years and I've come to reallize that most people that will insult others on the phone, in chat rooms and in e-mail are at heart cowards.

I've had people tell me that they are going to kick my a?? on the phone because I'm having them do something the right way. I would immediately tell them I'm coming right out and the tone changes real quick.

I do agree that there are many very thin skinned people around. This is just a game. There are hundreds of people in the forums, someone WILL disagree with your opinion. Get over it and enjoy the real game.

F_M

I can't say that I have had met that many cachers while out caching. The area we cache in is to thinly populated for that. when this has happened we have discussed caching and on at least one occasion we joined forces in an attempt to find a cache that had alluded both of us. It turned out that his cache had been temporarily removed by the owner so our combined search was in vain. I can also truthfully say that RK's bark is a lot worse than his bite. :rolleyes:

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :P;)  :D

:P Yea right, and if you have live pigs and nekkid flight attendents on board it will stop them too. :P

No No! Not nekkid flight attendants. Make the passengers all travel nekkid. You get through security a lot quicker and nobody DARES to hide a knife that doesn't fold.

Hey, with all the paranoia going around today, this just might become REALITY.

The best DNF I ever had was on a cache I didn't really get to look for. I got to the site, and before I had a chance to search, I ran into the cache owner (whom I had never met). We shot the breeze for the entire "search time" -- didn't find it, got to add another frowny face to my collection, but had a wonderful time.

BTW: I was leaning on the cache during most of the chat. How he kept a straight face is completely beyond me... found it the next time out, though... B)

I've met more muggles while caching than other cachers. Most are pleasant and even appear amused. One runner passed me while setting up for a picture. A few minutes later he came back. His curiosity got to him and he had to ask what I was doing. You think you have trouble explaining geocaching! He was quite amused. I happened to be dressed the few times that I've met other cachers.

At the caching events that I have attended (always clothed because of the venues), I've felt accepted and get something of a ribbing. People have been far more supportive than I might have expected. Caching has been a lot more fun because of the Nudecacher persona.