Run In's With Other Cachers.

There's a pretty shameful story in this thread about a bad run in. Personally, I've only had good experiences when meeting other cachers. As someone in that thread pointed out, in any large group there will be good and bad people. I truly believe that. IMHO, geocaching has many good, and very few bad :rolleyes:

If you think the forums are bad, you should try being an approver! It's interesting to note that some of the people being "driven over the edge" have done their best to make the lives of the approvers a living hell. A lack of social graces causes a lot of trouble in life for some, it would seem.

I get the very distinct impression locally that not belonging to the 'group' or having 1000 finds flags me as unworthy. Everytime an Event cache comes up in the area I think about going but never do. If it wasn't for the 'Ambasadors of the Sport' here in the forums I would think that Geocaching is full of elitist snobs. I suspect many of our lurkers feel the same.

I've had no major run ins in a negative sense, and nothing that couldn't have been talked straight. All in forums, of course. :rolleyes: Without pointing fingers, often the problem hasn't seemed to be my opinions themselves, but more like the fact that the opinions are coming from somewhere that doesn't need to be that seriously. In the same way, things I say have sometimes been taken as some kind of official opinions of my place of origin.

That kind of run ins are, of course, only a small fraction of all the communication I've had with the community. I've made via forums many very nice acquaintaces with several people, both near and far from me.

Only in the forums.

Well said.

Misunderstandings flare quickly here.

Misunderstandings also happen through email contacts directly with other cachers or on the cache pages - also electronic forms of communication.

In real, face-to-face life people are usually a little more respectful and get to hear the other side of the issue much sooner.

Lets see, we have people quitting the sport over run ins with other geocachers, because their cache submision was denied and because they were insulted in the forums. What else?

I think there are simply too many thin skinned people out there.

I had one run-in with a local that I can think of when I first started geocaching. We patched it up after a while. Over the years, I've had a handful of "run-ins" with people in these forums. Most of them are gone now, or make very rare appearances here these days, but I doubt it was because of anything I said.

I get the very distinct impression locally that not belonging to the 'group' or having 1000 finds flags me as unworthy. Everytime an Event cache comes up in the area I think about going but never do

I wonder what gives you that impression. Having never been to an event, how do you know how people react to you? Go to an event and you might be surprised by the warm welcome you'll get.

I know in this area we go out of our way to welcome newcomers and encourage them to come to events and other get-togethers. I'm sure its the same everywhere.

I do feel the same, and I also expect that when they find out that I am a teen I will lose even more respect

Go away kid, you're bothering me......just kidding, just kidding.

Edited by briansnat
I get the very distinct impression locally that not belonging to the 'group' or having 1000 finds flags me as unworthy. Everytime an Event cache comes up in the area I think about going but never do. If it wasn't for the 'Ambasadors of the Sport' here in the forums I would think that Geocaching is full of elitist snobs. I suspect many of our lurkers feel the same.

I do feel the same, and I also expect that when they find out that I am a teen I will lose even more respect

I know of a several cachers who have had run ins with other cachers who were less than friendly.  Some have dropped out of the game as a result while the guilty play on.

How about some examples RK.

I had a cache that had a required trade. It didn't matter what, pocket lint was fine in my book. I deleted a log and got threatened to have my attitude adjusted if they ever met me on the trail. That was interesting to me and it started a small 'disagreement' that was finally settled when I told him he was lord and king of his caches and that while I would not question his judgment on my find of one of his virtual caches I sure as hell expected the same courtesy on my caches.

At a later cache event, local cachers that I did respect gave me a rash of crap over the cache series that had trade rules so I slowly archived them and dumped the rules. Now themes are suggestions and everybody is happier.

Edit: I've enjoyed my forum run ins and so they don't count.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I know of a several cachers who have had run ins with other cachers who were less than friendly.

Sounds like everyday 'life'. My run-ins have all been in the forums and those have been very infrequent. There is one topic in particular (some of you know what that is) that really gets my motor running. Other than that, it's pretty hard to make me dislike you. :rolleyes:

I think there are simply too many thin skinned people out there.

(not necessarily directed at Briansnat)

I've seen this phrase several times in these forums and I always remembered that phrase to be something doctors told their med students and interns. It amazes me how people in these forums can even equate that phrase with virtual communication. They are 2 very different circumstances.

Edited by Ce'Nedra
I've seen this phrase several times in these forums and I always remembered that phrase to be something doctors told their med students and interns. It amazes me how people in these forums can even equate that phrase with virtual communication. They are 2 very different circumstances.

Why can't the phrase be used here? It seems to be appropriate. The world is full of thin skinned people and aparently some of them happen to be geocachers. Edited by briansnat
I get the very distinct impression locally that not belonging to the 'group' or having 1000 finds flags me as unworthy.  Everytime an Event cache comes up in the area I think about going but never do.  If it wasn't for the 'Ambasadors of the Sport' here in the forums I would think that Geocaching is full of elitist snobs.  I suspect many of our lurkers feel the same.

I hope I never come off that way. I love meeting cachers in the wild, and at events. I generally will go out of my way to be helpful. I want people to be able to enjoy this pastime as much as I do, and if I can help, that's great. We have a great, enthusiastic group of cachers in our area. I haven't heard of any negative run-ins.

--Marky

I, obviously, can't speak for your local cache org. Here, however, we have great people that really help each other out. I am not the most active member of the Org. (UTAG) but when ever I post anything to our local forum or e-mail with a question of a story I am treated very well. I you are not you could always start your own group. (I don't think local groups are official) or get involved and change the group that is already in place. (I know I know easy for me to say.) Good Luck.

I get the very distinct impression locally that not belonging to the 'group' or having 1000 finds flags me as unworthy. Everytime an Event cache comes up in the area I think about going but never do

I wonder what gives you that impression. Having never been to an event, how do you know how people react to you? Go to an event and you might be surprised by the warm welcome you'll get.

That impression has been formed through e-mail communications, forum posts (Regional), Forum posts (Group Websites) and by logs (other caches and mine). Despite my submissive demeanor and tact in the forums :rolleyes: I am actually a relatively outgoing person and friendly a guy. The local groups may all be great folks in person, but they surely haven't done much ONLINE to make me want to stand face to face with them and try to have a conversation.

I know in this area we go out of our way to welcome newcomers and encourage them to come to events and other get-togethers. I'm sure its the same everywhere.

I wish I could agree. :ph34r:

The local groups may all be great folks in person, but they surely haven't done much ONLINE to make me want to stand face to face with them and try to have a conversation

Never confuse an online "community" with a real one. Hey, look at it this way, you can go to an event or two, become one of the group and dis new geocachers yourself. But seriously, people who have met and know each other personally are likely to have a much warmer relationship then they would with someone who is little more than a screen name to them. Give it a shot. Go to an event, join a group hunt and get to know the locals.

The local groups may all be great folks in person, but they surely haven't done much ONLINE to make me want to stand face to face with them and try to have a conversation

Never confuse an online "community" with a real one. Hey, look at it this way, you can go to an event or two, become one of the group and dis new geocachers yourself. But seriously, people who have met and know each other personally are likely to have a much warmer relationship then they would with someone who is little more than a screen name to them. Give it a shot. Go to an event, join a group hunt and get to know the locals.

I'm afraid I'd have to pass on meeting people who have two different personalities. I have to judge the people here by what they say in the forums. If they come across as brash and unfriendly then it is probably the way they will be in person. If they are different in person then they might have a split personality and again I'd choose not to go out of my way to meet them. I doubt I'd choose to be friends with someone who is that changable.

John

If you think the forums are bad, you should try being an approver! It's interesting to note that some of the people being "driven over the edge" have done their best to make the lives of the approvers a living hell. A lack of social graces causes a lot of trouble in life for some, it would seem.

I think you nailed it on the head MB. People forget that as with face-to-face chats, the opinions here in the forums are going to be varied; and needs be met with a little more decorum due to the fact vocalized tones and body language is missing in a large way regardless of the little smilies available for use.

It takes a little longer, but if appropriate manners are in place on both sides, the flaming, name calling and simple misunderstandings can go to the wayside.

Some folks just don't like when you have a differing opinion on a topic.

That's just stupid. Everyone knows that the only opinion which is valid is mine.

Your stupid!!! Everyone knows I am the only Cacher in Indiana that can speak in the fourms.....thats because I am always right. You should know better Jerk

:rolleyes:

Best Reguards,

AmishHacker

I agree - only problems are in the forums.

Fortunately, the few that seem to have an alternate agenda to push on us also seem to have gone away. Boo hoo.....

I have never met one of them on the trail. Perhaps they avoid me because of some of the "equipment" I carry while caching that worries them. Since most of the cachers in the area are also "legally licensed", there does not seem to be a problem among us. Except for the FTFs, but nobody ever drew "fire" for that! :rolleyes: Often enough when cachers meet out here, it can just as well be at the pistol or rifle range or on the ham radio as geocaching. Great caching community here, no worries.

I've had a few online run-ins. I have no idea what those people are like in person, but I have developed a certain degree of respect for what they have to say in here, even if I don't always agree. There are a few such forum users who I have really enjoyed having a heated discussion with. I also believe that if I met them in person, it's quite likely we'd get along fine.

Perhaps the reason people react so strongly to forum disagreements is because with the threat of physical confrontation removed, one feels more comfortable expressing their true opinions. In face to face meetings, we show a lot more restraint, and this possibly clouds the view into a person's personality that the forums lay bare.

I think it's quite possible that you can learn more about a person by reading forum posts than you can in casual conversation (like at an event). We all share a common interest, and we differ in our ways of thinking about it. Forum posts, and cache logs are written for an (albiet limited) audience. E-mails are much more personal, and might cause some of the "clouding" that physical meetings do.

Another aspect of the forums is that you really have no control over who participates in any of the discussions. In real life, if you disagree with someone, you can easily exclude them from your discussions and avoid conflict. I find that most of my friends agree on most topics, and we don't discuss the things we disagree about nearly as often.

In the forums, if you want to talk to like minded people, you can, but you have to accept dissent as well.

Finally, it seems that some forum users like to make a game of publicly belittling others. Thick skin or thin, everyone has a point of "enough". There's no sport in finding the fine balance wherein you get under someone's skin, but don't get moderated. I'm sure some will disagree, but then, I expected that. :rolleyes:

To answer the question, I don't know anyone who has quit because of an encounter with another cacher on the trail, or at an event. I suppose the pressure would be greater if they were someone from your hometown. You wouldn't want to run into them at another event, for instance. But it seems silly to quit doing something you enjoy just because you dislike someone else who also participates. It would be different if it was your job or something. I could see leaving if one of my co-workers was a supreme [insert epithet] all the time.

I was worried about the same thing when I went to my first event with all of 3 finds under my belt. What I found was the exact opposite of what you are expecting to find.

In attendance that day were:

-Crashmore

-Lakemaster

-The Dam Trolls

-CCCooperAgency

-SBUX

among others of less "notoriety". Since then I became heavily involved and was recently elected VP of the Maryland Geocaching Society.

I think you may very well be surprised at what you'd find at an event, but of course YMMV. :rolleyes:

MrKBlooey,

We had a similar experience. When we attended our first event, the Crozet Cache Dash in March of 2003, we had been caching since October 2002 and we had only 15 finds.

There were lots of 3 digit finders at the event (including some that you listed) and noone was acting as if they were better than us. In fact, everybody was most helpful and would answer any questions we had. We had a lot of fun at that event, and I think that event is what got us doing more caches more often, travelling to other events and getting more involved with our own local caching community. We love to meet other cachers whether on the trail or at events.

Cacheola Crew Mom

Edited by Cacheola Crew

Did I mention I've also had the pleasure of meeting the entire Cacheola Crew :)

Meeting cachers is why I enjoy going to events so much. It is great to see the names on their id tags and chat it up with them in person. It gives an extra "personal" feel to the forums, as well, whether here or on our site. It's also nice to see them a couple months later at another event and see how they are doing.

Edited by mrkablooey

Have met quite a few fellow cachers on the trail and at meetings and enjoyed all but one and we still can not play nice, but have never wanted to stop playing the sport. In the real world there are people you plain don’t like or can’t get along with for whatever reason and it happens. So keep on keeping on and have fun……..JOE

Briansnat and MrkaBlooey -

Thank you both for expressing your views. Your attitudes and friendliness are exactly what I hope to find at a cache event and exactly why I still hang in the forums. Your both right about meeting folks in person and I vow to give the locals a chance to be 'real' people not just acsii characters.

On a side note, what Desert_Warrior said about in persons struck a chord. Sunday Ani and I went to the shooting range. Ohio's CC goes legal April 7th and everyone and their cousin is at the range. 1 hour wait. Normally I'd bail, but Ani was excited about putting some rounds through her new S&W 357. (Excellent pistol BTW, I was VERY impressed with it.) Must be 30 people in the shop area waiting and you'd think people would start getting cranky. No way, nicest group of folks you can imagine. Men offering their chairs to women, folks opening doors for each other, please, thank you and Yes Ma'am/Sir all around. I'll make note of the contrast next time I am waiting for a table at my favorite eatery. :)

I haven't had a bad run in with any cachers. Even if I did I would just smile at them. I'm out to have fun caching with my husband.

If a fellow cacher needs help I and my husband would stop and help no matter what.

If people want to be jerks while they are caching let them be jerks by themselves.

On a side note, what Desert_Warrior said about in persons struck a chord. Sunday Ani and I went to the shooting range. Ohio's CC goes legal April 7th and everyone and their cousin is at the range. 1 hour wait. Normally I'd bail, but Ani was excited about putting some rounds through her new S&W 357. (Excellent pistol BTW, I was VERY impressed with it.) Must be 30 people in the shop area waiting and you'd think people would start getting cranky. No way, nicest group of folks you can imagine. Men offering their chairs to women, folks opening doors for each other, please, thank you and Yes Ma'am/Sir all around. I'll make note of the contrast next time I am waiting for a table at my favorite eatery. :)

Hmmmm.... you mean that ARMED people standing around other ARMED people are actually polite to each other? What a concept!

Actually, Robert Heinlein had it right all along.

An armed society is a polite society. :)

My father has a similar philosophy with air travel. He figures that instead of banning weapons on planes, you hand EVERYONE that boards the plane a loaded gun.

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :lol::):)

Briansnat and MrkaBlooey -

Thank you both for expressing your views. Your attitudes and friendliness are exactly what I hope to find at a cache event and exactly why I still hang in the forums. Your both right about meeting folks in person and I vow to give the locals a chance to be 'real' people not just acsii characters.

Glad to be of service. :D

Only in the forums.

Well said.

Misunderstandings flare quickly here.

Misunderstandings also happen through email contacts directly with other cachers or on the cache pages - also electronic forms of communication.

In real, face-to-face life people are usually a little more respectful and get to hear the other side of the issue much sooner.

My observations too.

I am still trying to figure out why my posts are so often misunderstood, especially it seems, by the Admin.

To me this is a new medium, and I'm trying to learn how to use it properly. Although I have fared very well in other written media, like "letters to the editor", it just seems I can't post anything here that is not misinterpreted.

In face-to-face interactions, there are a lot of unspoken cluse to your meaning. Also in verbal communications there are clues by voice characteristics. Those things don't work in the forums.

Besides that, I think some people really TRY to misunderstand.

So here you go. How are you gonna turn this one around?

My father has a similar philosophy with air travel. He figures that instead of banning weapons on planes, you hand EVERYONE that boards the plane a loaded gun.

Who then will be the first to standup and say this is a hijacking?? :D:lol:  :lol:

Stale news.

Archie Bunker said that on "All in the Family"

Oh My God... WH's father is Archie Bunker? :blink:

I've had run-ins with dozens of cachers at various caches/events. Most have been very pleasant, while others fold in on themselves and melt into their vehicles. I met a cacher a few weeks ago like this. He was going for the same multi I was, and watched me find one of the stages. I drove off, saw him go to the same area and turned around to introduce myself. He wouldn't give me a team name, and just kind of shrunk into his shoulders and beelined it to his truck and wouldn't say another word. Meh.

That's the only time something like it happened.

I've had run-ins with dozens of cachers at various caches/events.  Most have been very pleasant, while others fold in on themselves and melt into their vehicles.  I met a cacher a few weeks ago like this.  He was going for the same multi I was, and watched me find one of the stages.  I drove off, saw him go to the same area and turned around to introduce myself.  He wouldn't give me a team name, and just kind of shrunk into his shoulders and beelined it to his truck and wouldn't say another word.  Meh.

That's the only time something like it happened.

He had probably been told by his friends that geocaching is for geeks and was ashamed that he found that he really enjoys caching!!!!!! :D

I've lost count of the cachers I've met, most at events, but some along the way. I've never met a cacher I didn't like. The only thing that ever happened that I thought was rude was whne I met up with CT Trampers for the first time to walk across some ice to an island cache and this guy came along wearing a Geocaching cap. We said hi he kept walking past us. I said Hellooo, geocacher? he kept walking. Turns out Perfect Tommy wasn't hearing very well, (either that or he was engrossed in watching the little arrow). I found out later he is a fun loving, hilarious, good to be with, enjoyable person. There were 50-70 cachers (counting them was impossible) at our last event in 14° weather, with a windchill of 0° and they stayed from 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM. That's a hearty bunch, and everyone of them a pleasure to meet. They came from 6 states!

Of the Hundreds I have met now,I still have not found one that would not go out of their way to help in any way possible.

They would give you the shirt off their back at -10* below 0*,-11* is a diffrent story.

We had several hundred this weekend at the Midwest Event and I had the Greatest time of my life.

Mind you that I have not met all 15,557 yet but I am working on it.

My Opinion.........................................

Geocachers are the Greatest People Living on this Planet.