A Huge "thank You"!

DebBrown

Hi All,...Deb Brown from the National Geodetic Survey here.

I just want to extend my most sincere "thank you" to all of you who are searching for and reporting on the condition of our control stations using our Online Recovery Report Form. Your efforts are valuable to us and appreciated.

I personally receive and process every recovery report that comes in via the web and have been impressed by the thoroughness and professional way the Geocaching folks are submitting information.

Destroyed reports are important too. If you can provide a digital photo of remnants of a destroyed disk, or in the case of landmark stations such as towers, antennas or tanks,...a photo of the area where the station "used" to be - please send it to me in JPEG format via email and be sure to include the PID and Designation of the station. My email address is Deb.Brown@noaa.gov

If you determine that there's an error on our datasheet, such as the wrong county a station is in or a station stamping or type,...please let me know by email as well as in the text portion of your recovery report. I'll make any appropriate database changes.

So again,...thank you,...keep up your good work!

deb

Thanks, Deb.

It's just a hobby for most of us, but it's gratifying to know that we can make a contribution while we're out having fun (or tearing our hair out) looking for that buried culvert, long-demolished water tower, re-named school, re-numbered highway or other elusive landmark. ;-)

At least for me, I find instills an appreciation for the ever-changing nature of our built environment and the infrastructure which we take for granted.

Thanks also to you and your colleagues for maintaining such an important resource.

-ArtMan-

Thank You DEB,and all at the NGS,

I myself am proud to be a part of the Recovery efforts we do here at Geocaching.

I have just got my acceptance to the National Map Program and look forward to updating the best that I can.

It was one of my Goals as a youth and my dreams have come true.

To be a part of such a prestigious agency is an honor to me.

I do not like sending you those "destroyed pics"of the points,

but it is all a part of it.

Thank you again for posting your comments in the Forums.

I as well as all appreciate it as well,

I think they will let me speak for the most of us Geocachers.

Happy........................................................Geotrails till we meet

Well from a relative newbie at this and with only a few reports to NGS ref. marks found thta were previously reported as NF I say thank you Ms. Brown for confirming at least in my mind that NGS does visit this site. Have wondered and was gonna ask if anyone knew. Again thanks for the encouragement.

Welcome on board Deb!

DaveD who posts here is also an employee of the NGS. Those who attended the dedication of the Lewis & Clark marker in St. Louis on March 13th got to meet him and another NGS employee. So far, all of our contacts with the NGS have been helpful and encouraging. Thanks to the NGS for welcoming us to the community.

I want to say thank you also Deb. Although you are just a faceless name to us right now, at least we know you exist. I didn't expect a reply from the email I sent about a destroyed mark--I am sure you have other things to do than respond to emails that don't really require responses, so it is nice to see you at least look here once in a while.

Deb -

It's really great that you could come and join us on the forums!!! I was figuring the day would come and now you're here!

Your "thank you" has encouraged me to go ahead and submit recovery notes to the NGS.

We have a lot of questions and concerns here that you can easily answer. Please don't hesitate to jump in whenever you have a comment. Feel free as well to mine through old forum threads here and put in any comments you may have had in the past on them - we'd appreciate that too.

I need to learn how to do the reports. I know of two benchmarks missing (the mounts are there, the disks have been stolen) and one that is .18 miles from there the DB says it is. There are a few others, but I have been waiting.

Anyone got a FAQ or a guide on how this is done. Got to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone got a FAQ or a guide on how this is done.  Got to start somewhere.

Just go to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov, access datasheets and press the SUBMIT RECOVERY button to get to the form NGS Recovery Report and fill in the details. Select OTHER for Enter agency code of the recovering organization/agency. Use GEOCAC as the six letter code for the reporting approved agency.

BTW, Deb didn't mention it, but NGS really does appreciate getting reports about stations more often than 5 years.

Edited by Colorado Papa
Anyone got a FAQ or a guide on how this is done. Got to start somewhere.

Please read this page and scroll down to "Can I log an official report to the NGS?". Be sure to do this before logging anything as it contains the full set the precautions that should be taken.

If anything you read on that page is at odds with what Deb Brown of NGS says, believe Deb. She's the final authority.

How am I to know which type to put in? I don't see anything on the datasheets that corresponds to any of the listed acronyms (i.e. FBN, CBN, PACS, etc.).

Here is an example of CBN & PACS.

The NGS Data SheetSee file dsdata.txt for more information about the datasheet.DATABASE = Sybase ,PROGRAM = datasheet, VERSION = 6.98

1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = MARCH 25, 2004

RY1013 ***********************************************************************

RY1013 CBN - This is a Cooperative Base Network Control Station.

RY1013 PACS - This is a Primary Airport Control Station.

RY1013 DESIGNATION - MISSOULA GPS

RY1013 PID - RY1013

RY1013 STATE/COUNTY- MT/MISSOULA

RY1013 USGS QUAD - NORTHWEST MISSOULA (1978)

RY1013

RY1013 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

RY1013 ___________________________________________________________________

RY1013* NAD 83(1999)- 46 55 27.86658(N) 114 05 24.64530(W) ADJUSTED

RY1013* NAVD 88 - 974.903 (meters) 3198.49 (feet) ADJUSTED

RY1013 ___________________________________________________________________

RY1013 X - -1,781,469.494 (meters) COMP

RY1013 Y - -3,984,357.010 (meters) COMP

RY1013 Z - 4,636,730.674 (meters) COMP

RY1013 LAPLACE CORR- 5.68 (seconds) DEFLEC99

RY1013 ELLIP HEIGHT- 959.96 (meters) (10/12/00) GPS OBS

RY1013 GEOID HEIGHT- -14.91 (meters) GEOID03

RY1013 DYNAMIC HT - 974.754 (meters) 3198.01 (feet) COMP

RY1013 MODELED GRAV- 980,428.8 (mgal) NAVD 88

RY1013

RY1013 HORZ ORDER - A

RY1013 VERT ORDER - SECOND CLASS II

RY1013 ELLP ORDER - THIRD CLASS I

RY1013

RY1013.This mark is at Missoula Intl Airport (MSO)

Regards

HI all,...just reading through some of your comments. Regarding emailing responses to destroyed reports. You're right,...I answer lots and lots of emails asking questions and requiring research. I don't typically respond to destroyed reports (that are submitted correctly) because I assume the sender is going to be watching out for his/her report on the datasheets.

FYI,...we're working on getting options added to the online recovery form to allow photo and position submissions. The wheels are grinding slowly though. Hang in there,....it's coming.

After looking at photo requirements I found that this JV 1808 wouldn't meet the current criteria. The benchmark is located on top of a culvert that is in poor shape and is covered with overgrowth.

I was able to remove some of the overgrowth to take the picture but I reported it as not being able to be seen from a satellite because of the overgrowth.

Edited by Oat

Trailblazer,...please make sure you email me at Deb.Brown@noaa.gov with any destroyed report or use the online recovery form to submit information on the condition of stations. Don't just post it here. :^) Yes,...a destroyed report at anytime even within a year of the last "intact" or "not found" report is acceptable. Just make sure you send a photo justifying your determination via email and include the PID and designation of the station.

I had planned on it Deb.

I was mainly showing the good communications,and cooperation between the Geocaching Community and the NGS.

I will submit my report,with photo's.

I am trying to get ahold of the Lawrence County Surveyor before submitting.

Thank you for such a fast response as always.

GEO*Trailblazer 1

Happy...........................................................Geotrails

Hi All-

Help, please. I have found several USGS benchmarks, but they do not have the PID of two capital letters followed by four numbers. Below is an example of what is on one of them. Can anbody direct me, please?

dfrahm@trib.com

USGS benchmark stamped MR 23 1948 elevation above sea 5998 feet

Hi All-

Help, please.  I have found several USGS benchmarks, but they do not have the PID of two capital letters followed by four numbers.  Below is an example of what is on one of them.  Can anbody direct me, please?

dfrahm@trib.com

USGS benchmark  stamped MR 23        1948                elevation above sea 5998 feet

Is this the PID (NR0050) you are looking for? Trouble is the the elevation does not agree with what you quoted.

If not in Wyoming, go to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ and do a search for the data sheet by name (MR 23) in whatever state this is located.

NR0050 DESIGNATION - MR 23

NR0050 PID - NR0050

NR0050 STATE/COUNTY- WY/NATRONA

NR0050 USGS QUAD - SHEEP CREEK (1960)

NR0050

NR0050 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

NR0050 ___________________________________________________________________

NR0050* NAD 83(1986)- 42 36 22. (N) 106 21 04. (W) SCALED

NR0050* NAVD 88 - 1875.443 (meters) 6153.02 (feet) ADJUSTED

NR0050 ___________________________________________________________________

NR0050 GEOID HEIGHT- -12.17 (meters) GEOID03

NR0050 DYNAMIC HT - 1874.157 (meters) 6148.80 (feet) COMP

NR0050 MODELED GRAV- 979,868.3 (mgal) NAVD 88

NR0050

NR0050 VERT ORDER - SECOND CLASS 0

NR0050

NR0050.The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have

NR0050.an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.

NR0050

NR0050.The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling

NR0050.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.

NR0050

NR0050.The geoid height was determined by GEOID03.

NR0050

NR0050.The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88

NR0050.geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the

NR0050.Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45

NR0050.degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).

NR0050

NR0050.The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.

NR0050

NR0050; North East Units Estimated Accuracy

NR0050;SPC WYEC - 334,370. 480,600. MT (+/- 180 meters Scaled)

NR0050

NR0050 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL

NR0050

NR0050 NGVD 29 (??/??/92) 1874.491 (m) 6149.89 (f) ADJ UNCH 2 0

NR0050

NR0050.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.

NR0050.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.

NR0050.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.

NR0050

NR0050_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 13TCH891179(NAD 83)

NR0050_MARKER: DD = SURVEY DISK

NR0050_SETTING: 80 = SET IN A BOULDER

NR0050_STAMPING: MR 23 1947

NR0050_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO

NR0050+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION

NR0050

NR0050 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

NR0050 HISTORY - 1947 MONUMENTED USGS

NR0050 HISTORY - 1959 GOOD NGS

NR0050

NR0050 STATION DESCRIPTION

NR0050