A New Style Cito Event

TeamSpaz

I saw a thread on the following cache. GCHT6P

I had come up with a similar idea. I want to have an event that ends on a Sunday night with a get together. People who want to get credit for the event will have to bring specially marked CITO kits that have been placed in specificly approved caches. These approved caches will either be existing ones(with their owners permission) or new ones that I have placed. The time period allowed will be from Fri night at 5pm till Sunday night at 5pm. People will be required to visit 3 of the 12 or so locations on the list.

I feel that this is a good way to get many people involved. It lets them be more flexible in when they go do the Trash Out, and it lets them choose a park that they care about.

I want to know what everyone else thinks. Please let me know your opinions here.

When it comes to CITO events, I'm a big fan of the KISS model.

Doing the type of thing above sounds interesting on the surface. I like caching and I like CITO. However I think the CITO would be far more effective an more easily managed if just centralized and done in a traditional fashion.

I'd rather see the time spent running between caches to be spent on actual CITO. That and I'm a big believer that working together on projects like this is one of the absolute best bonding mechanisms for people. With everyone out doing their own thing, you lose that.

I enjoy CITO Events immensely and for two reasons.

#1 - The bonding and socializing

#2 - The sense of group accomplishment

The traditional approach addresses these two things best in my mind.

[Edit]

As far as getting people out on their own schedule... we should be encouraging people to CITO as part of their regular caching activities. This should be year 'round and on their own schedule. I guess to be blunt I think enticing people to do what they should be doing anyway by having a "bonus" cache in the form of an event runs contrary to what I think our CITO goals should be. We should be encouraging people to do the localized "on your own schedule" CITO activities as part of their regular caching, and the CITO events themselves should be for coming together specifically to do CITO.

But creativity is always good. I wouldn't mind the above model, but am very biased toward the traditional model.

For the record, I'm not slamming the above model at all. I prefer the traditional and these are my reasons. That's all. Hope noone is reading it as a slam. Any CITO is good CITO.

[Edit 2]

If doing one big event a year... I would definitely lobby for the traditional model. I would love to see many kinds of CITO events throughout the year and the above sounds like an excellent model for a CITO event.

Edited by trippy1976

I agree that the traditional method of a CITO event would be perfered. I am hearing rumors though that my idea may not be approved at all. I say what is the harm. It serves the same goals.

a: specific parks that need extra attention get it

b: people have fun

c: we get to meet each other and hang out(at the event)

It also has benifits

d: more likely to let more people participate(flexible schedule)

e: more likely to get people to participate(people love looking for new caches)

f: more parks involved than one

g: BETTER THAN NOTHING(there is no other nearby event)

I know there must be downfalls in some peoples eyes too but, look at letter g.

BETTER THAN NOTHING!!!

I think that says it all for me. Where is the harm in it???

Hopefully next year the local "official" group will plan an event.

Until than it BETTER THAN NOTHING!

Thanks for your response, and I hope more people respond soon.

People who want to get credit for the event will have to bring specially marked CITO kits that have been placed in specifically approved caches.  ...  People will be required to visit 3 of the 12 or so locations on the list.

How many CITO kits would you leave in each cache? What happens with the 11th (or whatever) cacher goes there and there's no more kits? Now he has to run around town trying to find three other pre-designated caches that still have kits left.

There are 30 "find" logs on your event last month. That means that there would need to be at least 30 CITO kits in each designated cache. Given that finders have 48 hours instead of the 2-3 of a normal event, you'd actually need more like 100 or more kits in each cache so no one is short-changed.

I feel that this is a good way to get many people involved.  It lets them be more flexible in when they go do the Trash Out, and it lets them choose a park that they care about.

I agree with that. Disorganized CITO is better than no CITO at all, but it needs to be fair.

Having complex rules to log the find is a bad idea, in my opinion. What if I get to a location and there is a days worth of clean up needed? I need to stop cleaning up there so that I can spend time at two other locations? Why can't I focus all my attention in one location? By having such rules, you will discourage people from doing their part, because they may not have time to CITO three different locations.

I enjoy CITO Events immensely and for two reasons.

#1 - The bonding and socializing

#2 - The sense of group accomplishment

I would have to agree here. CITO by yourself is not nearly as rewarding as CITO with others.

--Marky

This is the text of an email I recieved:

First, I think it is admirable the amount of effort you are willing to put into this! And I think CITO in your neck of the woods is particularly valuable politically with the EBRP.

But I also agree with the poster that stated KISS is an important principle here. I think the traditional model is still not practiced enough, and adding a new twist might have the opposite effect. Why don't you invest your time in promoting a very public CITO gathering in a needy local park, let the EBRP see the effort and result clearly, then go ahead with an event to celebrate those that got involved (you could hand out coordinates for the event at the park or something).

Alarge group working together in one place will have more of an impact that many individuals picking up a bag here and there. It's all about perception...

Thank you for another person's opinion.

Edited by TeamSpaz

Everyone is missing the point. There is NO CITO event planned for the official Geocaching.com CITO day in my area.

Where is the harm. If someone else wants to plan an event at a specific park than step up and do it. I want action.

I can easily put 20-50 CITO kits in the caches that I choose. We can refill these caches during the weekend if needed. If there isn't a kit for you when you get there, so what. All that means is that people have cleaned up the area before you. If there is too much trash for one bag, so what at least you did a bags worth.

Where is the harm in having an event like this? What is the problem?

I mean if it is such a bad idea, than I will just have another regular event and I will hide some new CITO caches for that weekend. I just think that having an official CITO event in our area is something we can all be proud of!

This is the the text from another email I recieved:

I will be pretty busythat weekend, so having "flexibility" is definitely a 'plus' with your CITO event idea. If someone DOES plan an event, I'll still try to make it.

There was some discussion on a CITO Event Day at an EBRPD park (see forum

posts by mjp303), but apparently no one has stepped forward to organize

this. Anyway, hope it all works out.

Thank you for another opinion.

I saw a thread on the following cache.  GCHT6P

I had come up with a similar idea.  I want to have an event that ends on a Sunday night with a get together.  People who want to get credit for the event will have to bring specially marked CITO kits that have been placed in specificly approved caches.  These approved caches will either be existing ones(with their owners permission) or new ones that I have placed.  The time period allowed will be from Fri night at 5pm till Sunday night at 5pm.  People will be required to visit 3 of the 12 or so locations on the list.

I feel that this is a good way to get many people involved.  It lets them be more flexible in when they go do the Trash Out, and it lets them choose a park that they care about.

I want to know what everyone else thinks.  Please let me know your opinions here.

How about coming up with a schedule with times, during Saturday and Sunday then everyone can decide what park/cache they would like to help clean up, keeping in mind that some of the parks are trashed more than others. You then can decide which areas need more trashouts. The parks that are trashed more than others you can then place a new cache there with the CITO containers.

This would help by keeping the CITO group together, and Cachers could get to choose the time and day.

Just a thought. I would really like to help but i'm flying out to Palmdale, CA on the 5th of April. As a matter of fact I might just hit this cache <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCHT6P&Submit6=Find"> Fight the Dumping Dummies!!</a>

Everyone is missing the point.  There is NO CITO event planned for the official Geocaching.com CITO day in my area.

My barin hurts from what I was just doing at work, so forgive me if I seem dense. :)

It seems that you have a lot of enthusiasm for CITO and I applaud that. What is wrong with you just planning a gathering of cachers at one location at one time?

I just think that having an official CITO event in our area is something we can all be proud of!

I totally agree with you here. It just seems like you are putting a lot of effort into planning a bunch of caches (definitely not a bad thing) with CITO kits in them, but you seem to be against just picking one location and making it a team effort.

I've seen some areas do a CITO event, and then have a normal event cache for dinner later in the day for those that are interested.

I'm not trying to discourage you in your efforts. If there are no other CITO events planned in the area, then I'd probably vote for approving this concept as a trial to see if it is something that could work.

--Marky

My first instict is to vote for the single site model - when asked earlier (on our ill-fated trip to the secret sidewalk) Lee said anything that requires travel will unravel, and I can see that.

But more than that is timing. I think a set time is the key for that 'togetherness' aspect. Mini-regionals might work if they all started at the same time, with a final meeting at a reasonable offset. Suppose san jose, hayward-fremont, san ramon-pleasanton, etc, all starting at 9am. Meet (where?) at noon. There could even be a little friendly competition there.

If this were ok, then perhaps Joe could host the central event, and other cachers could hide the park events. Again, the question of where to meet at 12.

beyond logistics, I would like to hear park nominees. Central Park (site of last years picnic) is cache-poor, and probably trash-rich. I can bring extra trash if it's needed. :)

Oh, and I hate "you must do this or else" caches. If I wanted that crap I'ld still be married.

There is no "you must do this or else" every person in the world is able to come have pizza anytime they want. You guys are making such a big deal out of this and I don't understand.

I WANT TO CLEAN UP PARKS FOR CITO DAY!

There that's it. I am done, I will watch everyone's responces and I will wait a couple days to respond again. I AM the one who appears to be willing to oranize SOMETHING at least. If someone else has a better idea than please organize it and I WILL BE THERE!

Thank you all for your opinions and please keep them coming.

TeamSpaz, it sounds like you have come up with a good and new idea, so I say submit it as a CITO event cache, and see what happens. It's great that you want to clean up multiple parks and not just focus on one. I am not sure why so many are against it, and it really doesn't seem all that complicated. Ideas like your's should be encouraged. I hope it all works out and don't get discouraged.

This is the text fram another email I recieved:

"Sounds like people have quite an opinion in this matter. Your idea seems

a little logistically challenging (in terms of there being enough

materials in each of the caches), but I don't see anything wrong with it.

It seems odd that some seem to think that it would be "negative" (or, at

least less positive than a CITO event).

I've done beach clean-ups and that sort of thing in the past. They take a

lot of effort, but make a really big difference right away. Our

preference would have been to do an actual CITO event, but we didn't have

the time to coordinate something that big. This seemed to be a good way

to help clean up an area that desperately needed it...plus it would be a

continuing process. And, importantly, all we'd have to do is re-stock the

trash bags on occasion.

I guess the bottom line is, some people may whine, but they don't have to

participate if they don't want to. I'm far from having a lot of weight to

throw around...but I would say the only way to know if it's a good idea is

to give it a shot."

Thanks for another opinion.

This is the text from another email I recieved:

"I may not be the best person to comment on a CITO subject. I'm kind of

strange like that as I think everyday is a CITO day and it should go

without say (IMHO). I even think it should be our pride and honor to be

good stewards of our land. Since I don't make a big deal out of doing

the right thing, there's no spot light for me. Just the knowledge that

I've done it."

Thanks for another opinion.

well i hate to say it, but i too think this particular method sounds a bit complicated, im not even sure i understand the "RULES" to follow to log this CITO event as a find. it seems to me that if a bunch of people are willing to spend their time picking up trash, why bog them down and constrain them with

People will be required to visit 3 of the 12 or so locations on the list.

i think i like the simple idea better, also it has been my experience that picking up park trash is a real drag by yourself, but a blast with a large group (racing to get that big piece over there)

Here is the text of another email I recieved:

"My opinion is that you should go ahead and submit your cache and see if

it gets approved. Even if it is not approved, try to work with your

approval person to see what it would take to GET approved. They are

usually willing to work with you on most caches. What you have is a

sound idea, it just needs a wee bit of simplifying. I believe it can

be done within what you envision it to be like.

I can really see where it is you are going with the idea... maybe

modify it a bit, but keep the spirit and intention of the cache intact.

Who cares if they come up with another CITO event in your area... why

can't an area have more than one CITO? There are those geocachers out

there who NEVER attend events..... your idea would be a perfect

alternative for them to be involved.

There will be those who participate and think it is wonderful and there

will be those who gritch and moan and hate it. But they don't have to

log it if they don't want to.... right? It is your idea and you CAN

make it work..... you can't please everyone and you can't let the

whiners get you down.

Even if only 5 people logged your CITO -- that is still a lot of trash

that was picked up. Plus you have raised awareness and that is always

good.... I would call that a successful cache!"

Thank you for another opinion

Edited by TeamSpaz
TeamSpaz, it sounds like you have come up with a good and new idea, so I say submit it as a CITO event cache, and see what happens. It's great that you want to clean up multiple parks and not just focus on one. I am not sure why so many are against it, and it really doesn't seem all that complicated. Ideas like your's should be encouraged. I hope it all works out and don't get discouraged.

I've already been quoted above but will stand with Rez2100's statement. All the other back seat drivers... get out of the car and let man drive. It can work as it's planned. If you think you can do better, challenge TeamSpaz's CITO with yours. Gross volume wins.

On your park, get set, Go.

Hey Bill, what are you up so early for?

I read the discription for the GCHT6P, and for a multi cache and no wierd questions to screw up the math, it looks easy enough.

I must be missing something??? (yeah I know)

Just do it, and some one will come.

There has been mornings that I have volentered to clean a place, nothing to do with geocaching, it did not help with my caching numbers, that is part of helping people and payback.

that's my .02, Don

ps, sorry for the spelling

It might make a better impression on the East Bay Parks Board if we all got together and cleaned up one really bad area, than doing several small ones. Also, if you had sas many as 12 places, some may not get cleaned. Another factor is the BADGES meeting is only ~2 weeks before the CITO day.

Somewhat off topic: How about we piggyback on top of an existing Earth Day event.

Forget all of this ranting below, although it is interesting. They don't coincide with our CITO day (April 17th).

There is one planned at Washington Park in Alameda.  I bet that park and the shoreline trail could use a lot of cleaning up.  Plus there would be the Earth Day related stuff as well.

Oh! Oh!  Look at this: In Castro Valley, there is an Earth Day event that includes a "Community Clean-up".  All clean-up volunteers will receive a free event T-shirt and breakfast or lunch!  That sounds like a pretty cool thing to piggy back on top of, especially if we were to all wear our CITO 2004 shirts!  (Hey, when are those going to be available?)

There is another Earth Day event planned in Pleasanton as well along the Arroyo del Valle (it looks like it's at the sports complex, where there are a few caches).

What do people think of piggy backing on top of Earth Day events?

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I am working with the supervisour of the Operations Volunteers program for the EBRPD to see if we can come up with a park to help clean up. She already has an event planned on the 17th that involves removing exotics from the hillsides of Lake Chabot park. If she can come up with a park for us, I will work out the details and post a CITO event cache for it.

--Marky

Here's a thought: GC8D14

Just got email that my monthly "CITO Day" cache was subject of discussion... thought I would come see whats up!

GC8D14 is my cache and I am pretty proud of all the work Minnesota cachers have done with CITO. :bad: Read through some of the older logs... we have moved a bunch of trash.

This cache started out in September, 2002 as a project for a geocaching interview I was doing on TV.... They devoted the entire first half of the show to geocaching and the efforts Minnesota geocachers were doing to clean up the environment. In fact every interview I have given, I have pointed out this cache and our efforts.... I believe it has made a difference.

It was originally a reverse cache, but it works so much better as an individual, solo "event". I know there are those who say people should not be getting credit for doing this, or no multiple finds, or this does not count as an event..... but it really has helped to raise awareness in our area that geocachers should be looking for opportunities to do CITO. Having something like this available year round and state wide is just added incentive for some people.

We have some cachers who get together in small groups specifically on CITO day and have a real good time. The monthly CITO day can be whatever and whenever you want it. On another note, we have had some geocachers log CITO day who have NEVER attended a group event and are probably unlikely to ever attend a group event. They can still participate.

Each month I go in and update the name and date of the cache so it always stays active on our front page.

We still do our regular group CITO events.... they are important too.

We also always point out this cache when we are negotiating access with various park services. I think it has helped get MnGCA into the door on several occasions. We also encourage all the MnGCA cachers to cross post their CITO activites on the log of the cache since many of these are monitored by the park systems. (we have lots of strict geo-restrictions here with our park systems) ;)

As far as TeamSpaz's idea..... go for it. Maybe it will be approved, maybe not.

There will be those who like the concept and will participate, and those who won't and don't (which is true of any cache idea). You might trim or modify the rules a bit, but getting out and getting folks to CITO at anytime is always a good thing. :bad:

Good luck!

Here are the "rules" for another CITO event I found:

The rules of this cache are…..

Find a place anywhere in Minnesota that is in some need of cleaning up -- this can be a park, a trail, a road, a cache site. Your own street, yard or cabin DOES NOT COUNT!! Same ban goes for your friend’s yard, street or cabin!

Clean up the area for at minimum a half an hour or a half a mile, longer if you are up to it. Report the time you spent.

If there is not enough trash to warrant 30 minutes you can combine 2 or 3 separate cache areas until you reach that goal.

Post a description of your activity and who was involved if you were in a group.

If you have a digital camera -- Post before and after photos of the area and your "found" items! I also would encourage photos of the happy people and animals in your group.

You MUST post the coordinates of your clean up effort! Especially if you went to more than one area - keep good logs!

Please also include the actual NAME of the park, street or cache area in your log.

If the above pre-arranged CITO date is not a good one for you -- choose another. EVERY day can be CITO day! The purpose of this cache is to make people and parks aware of our activities.

Since this is an event cache, when you are logging, you need to choose the the option "attended" or "found it" to receive cache credit. You may log this cache multiple times for credit.

If you do not want to add to your cache credit numbers, just choose "Will attend" or "Write note". Every CITO effort is appreciated and important!

We have found that it is very easy to carry a spare garbage sack folded tightly into an empty film canister. It is convenient and small enough to carry in your caching bag so you will always be prepared.

Isn't this way different than the "NORMAL" thing?? Can't we all agree that it wouldn't hurt to allow me to try my idea??

Thanks again for all the input, sorry if I sound brash at times.

Edited by TeamSpaz

I found another new idea: GCHY8N

This is a slight variation on the CITO theme but hopefully still within the spirit of the International Event (see http://www.cacheintrashout.org/). It will however be held on the Sunday (18th April 2004)

Here's how it will work:

1. Identify a park/reserve/roadside in your own neighbourhood that needs a tidy-up. Gather together your partner/kids/dog (or do it alone), gloves, tongs etc and spend some time gathering the trash from your chosen area. Aim to spend 30-45 minutes and to gather a supermarket bagful or so of Trash. This is your "admission ticket" to the rest of the event.

2. Set your GPS receiver to S45 48.968 E170 24.655 and make your way to the gathering point which is inside the grounds of the Waiora Scout Camp, Silverstream Valley Road, Whare Flat. Use the main gate/driveway.

3. Aim to arrive around 2.00 pm for some informal activities:

*Mix and mingle with fellow geocachers and meet the people behind the nicknames;

*Compare GPS makes and models, features and performance - Garmin vs Magellan etc;

*Tell "Tall Tales" of your Geocaching or GPS experiences - maybe a prize for the "Hard Luck" story;

*Locate the temporary "Multicache" to be set up around the grounds of the campsite;

*With a bit of luck "Lefty Lone Scouts" very first Cache will be unveiled to the public - a chance to log it before it even gets listed;

*Afternoon Tea will be provided at around 3.30 pm.

Notes:

a)This event is on "wet or fine" as there is an indoor venue available if necessary.

b)Anyone coming from far-afield may like to make a weekend of it and do some of the Dunedin caches as well. Overnight accommodation can be arranged at minimal cost and on a "self catering" basis - email me bcollier@es.co.nz if you would like further details.

c)Similiarly, any other enquiries email me bcollier@es.co.nz

d)If you are considering coming, please post a note on this page so that I know how many biscuits to buy.

Iwish I could give my idea a shot too.

HERE IS MY LATEST VERSION OF WHAT I PROPOSE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When: April 18th, 2004

Time: 5PM - ???(they close at 10PM)

Why: To help the enviorment(and to have fun)

Who: Geocachers (and their friends/family)

What CacheIn-TrashOut some local parks

Here is what you need to do:

FIRST:

Go to at least 3 of the cache sites on the following list:

"Location One"(gcxxxx)

"Another Place"(gcxxxx)

"Ecetera ecetera"(gcxxxx)

"Forth Cache"(gcxxxx)

"Cinco Location"(gcxxxx)

"Sex spot, I mean Six"(gcxxxx)

"Seven/Eleven"(gcxxxx)

"Octapus Cache"(gcxxxx)

"Niner, Niner"(gcxxxx)

"Ten Four Good Buddy"(gcxxxx)

SECOND:

Use one of the prepared CITO kits to Trash-Out the area.

THIRD:

Bring your empty CITO kits to the coordinates above at 5pm on Sunday.

FORTH:

Have Fun!!!

NOTE:

We are open to suggestions for parks with or without current caches that need to be included in this CITO event.(Oakland to Milpitas only please)

P.S. Anyone is welcone to join us for pizza, but you must turn in 3 CITO kits to log a find for this event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IS THIS EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?

HERE IS MY LATEST VERSION OF WHAT I PROPOSE:

P.S. Anyone is welcone to join us for pizza, but you must turn in 3 CITO kits to log a find for this event.

IS THIS EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?

Oh, I understood it the first time. I just don't really like the unnecessary rules. Why three caches? Like I had said before, what if we spend an hour in one place. Doesn't seem right or necessary for us to go to two other locations just to pick up cache kits.

I'd much prefer just logging the find by posting the coords where I trashed out, and maybe before and after pictures or just a picture of the bag of trash collected. In case you didn't notice, some people don't like the arbitrary 3 cache rule for the find. Why are you so stuck on that idea?

--Marky

Well, I like TeamSpaz's idea. I've frankly been frustrated in my attempts (well, attempt, last year) to plan a CITO event around here. There were maybe three people who showed some mild interest but nobody said they'd come or had any suggestions for what area to clean up.

If there is an EBRPD area that we can work on, that sounds good too.

As I've mentioned before, I work for the City of San Jose, and if we clean a park or roadside area here, we can get litter grabbing sticks, bags, and other stuff provided gratis from the City.

On April 24th the City of San Jose is even sponsoring the Great American Litter Pick Up in various "litter hot spots" throughout San Jose's 10 Council districts.

At least Spaz is willing to come up with an idea. :bad:

Hey Marky you are right...I don't need to be stuck on the 3 kit idead. I just wanted to make so it wasn't to easy for people. We can say "3 Kits" or "30 mins" either one would be ok. Would that be better do you think.

My main problem here is why not at least let me try it and see how it goes. Until there is another event planned than IT IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Thanks again for a good idea,

JoeSpaz

(TeamSpaz)

Hey Marky you are right...I don't need to be stuck on the 3 kit idea.  I just wanted to make so it wasn't to easy for people.  We can say "3 Kits" or "30 mins" either one would be ok.  Would that be better do you think. 

I think that idea is workable. Maybe make it 45 minutes. That way it is kind of flexible as to what you want to do. If, for example, there are three caches on your list that I haven't found, I could go to those ones, spend 15 or so minutes trashing out, and then continue on to the next. But if I had already found all the caches, then I might just choose which one is nearest my favorite location, or maybe one that I think needs help the most, and go there and focus my cleaning for an hour or so.

--Marky

If there is an EBRPD area that we can work on, that sounds good too.

Here is the first response to my initial query from the Operations Volunteer supervisor at EBRPD:

Hi Mark,

Yes,  park clean up falls under my venue.  However, the bad news for you is...the Park District is not supporting geo-caching in the regional parks.  Park Supervisors have been asked to remove them and call the person whose name is on the inside to let them know that this is not a recreation the park is going to support.  I know lots of folks are having a fun time with this sport.  I don't know if this will change your mind about coming and doing a clean up for us.  I will be working with another group at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley on 4/17.  We are removing exotics from a hillside.  I have put in a call to the park supervisor asking if he is in need of a group to help cleanup the lake shoreline or another area.  If you can tell me where most of your folks are located,  I might be able to find something near you.

Thanks,

I replied:

Thanks for the reply.  The fact that the park district isn't currently supporting geocaching won't stop us from helping the park district out.  It's my plan to show that geocaching can be beneficial to the park systems.  That is why I specifically wanted to pick an EBRPD park.  Think of it as a no hard feelings gesture and a way to show how cool geocachers are.  The CITO events don't involve placing any geocaches, they are just focusing on getting like minded geocachers together and focusing on cleaning up our parks.  I would love to work with you to select a park for a group of us to help out with on April 17th.  We are from many areas of the Bay Area so just about any EBRPD park needing help would work.  For me personally, living in San Jose, the ones that are closer to me work well.  I know a lot of the people interested are from the San Jose/Santa Clara/Fremont/Union City/Castro Valley area.

Feel free to make suggestions. :rolleyes:  So, what does "removing exotics from a hillside" involve?

Here is the latest response I got:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm glad there are no hard feelings about the caching.  Removing exotics from the hillside involves removing the teasel plant that grows on the slopes around Lake Chabot.  Sometimes it is as simple as pulling off the dried seed head.  And sometimes it requires chopping out the new plants that are growing before they develop a new seed head.  It is a simple job, very boring if you try to do longer than two hours tops!  Young kids like it as it is easy to do and they can run all over the hillside.  I spoke to the supervisor at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley and he said your group would be welcome to cleanup the lake shoreline at Chabot.  He also had another suggestion that I am looking into that would be closer to home for you.  On 4/17 there is going to be a big todo at Quarry Lakes in Fremont.  There will be a triathalon and some type of Walt Disney event.  I was going to ask the park supervisor if your group might be able to help in any way.  Perhaps helping to change out the garbage cans or to circulate and pick up litter.  I know that they can use help cleaning up along their lake shoreline as fishermen leave debris such as cigarette butts and fishing line which can be harmful to the birds.  I will pursue this for you.

Thanks for your offer of help,

Unfortunately, I have found that I already have previous plans for the 17th, so now I don't know where to go with this. It would seem weird for me to set this up and then not be able to attend. If someone else is interested in doing something on the 17th, I can get you in touch with the supervisor.

--Marky

My event got approved, but I am going to have to change the date. There is more preperation needed than I thought so I am asking to get it pushed back till May 16th.

You can visit the site if you wish. (GCHY6P)

Wish me luck in my venture. Maybe if it is successful I should hold it every three months.

Thanks for all the input.

I am going to begin advertising my new CITO event today. I will be sending out emails to people who have visited nearby caches.

What do all of you think about having the same event every 3-4 months? I would leave the GC# the same and just change the date. A "find" could be logged each time someone participated.

Just an idea.

Hope some of you can attend.

Thanks

I will be sending out emails to people who have visited nearby caches.

And having received that mail, I will absolutely NOT be in attendance. I adhere to the Boulder Pledge, which means that I do not do do business with or patronize anything or anyone which is advertised by unsolicited bulk email.

I wish I had seen these response before I sent out my emails. I did get asked by gc.com to stop, and I will. I didn't know that people would mind. In fact most people were glad to get the email. But I guess this is America and we do have to try and protect the minority. I will not be advertising my events by sending out emails again nonetheless.

But back to my actual question....

What do you guys think about having an event that reoccours. Every 3 months lets say. I would change the date after the first time. Then reschedule, using the same GC number. People that participated the next time could log a find even if they had already logged a find before.

Please let me know what you think.

(As the owner of this thread aren't I supposed to get notice of posted responces?)

Sounds like the event yesterday was a big success. That's great!

What do you guys think about having an event that reoccours.  Every 3 months lets say.  I would change the date after the first time.  Then reschedule, using the same GC number.  People that participated the next time could log a find even if they had already logged a find before.

I would prefer if it could be a new GC number each time. My pocket queries don't return caches that I have already found, so I wouldn't see a recurring event like that. Additionally, people who get weekly new cache notifications from geocaching.com wouldn't see it.

So for maximum visibility, I think you should just submit each one as a new event. I don't think you will have any trouble getting future events approved, and you can just copy and paste the description text from the previous event into the new one.

I have talked to quite a few people and they all agree that each new event date should have its own GC number. I have gotten permission from the area approver to make that happen. So I will look forward to seeing some of the SF Bay Area cachers stopping by, and maybe even some out of town visitors too.