Find someone to lend you one

Search

Read

Buy

Geocache :P

Geocache :o

Geocache :o

Geocache ;)

OK, for real.... Everyone thinks his/hers is the best. Truth is if you stick with the big name companys you will do fine. Garmin/Magellan are good places to start. Both sites give you a side by side to see the differences. Try and play with a couple different ones to see what feels better to you. Some people like the look/feel of one and not another. Just don't buy the first one you see.

If you have a question on a certin feature ask away but to be honest "What GPS is should I buy?" is a little to general to get any usefull info. You will end up with a list of 10 that 15 people each say is the BOMB!

Another tip is to spend as much time looking for the best price as you do picking out a GPSr. I have found that the prices from place to place can cover a very large range.

Good luck!

Adam

PS - The Magellan Meridian Color is the best GPSr EVER!!!!!!!!! ;)

I really like it. Works good for Geocaching (so will the $100 eTrex), and it works well for "street level" routing and I LOVE the color screen. Some people don't like it but I think it is 10 times eaiser to see when driving. The DirectRoute software you get in the Traveler Value Pack is good too. Best price I found online (havent looked for a month) was at www.Vanns.com

Adam

PS - I have made a web that has alot of info on the Meridian color if you want to check it out. It is still pretty new but I have some info there. Good luck!

http://home.insightbb.com/~teamav8r

Right. But you have to consider, that they are 3 blokes, surrounded by miles and miles of white nothing. Us city folk on the other hand, are surrounded by lots of things. POI's, roads, and most importantly, CACHES!

So, while a Yellow eTrex will do you fine for caching, you'll want some other stuff... :o

Edited by SBPhishy

Well, I'm a confirmed Magellan fan, but I may be seduced to the Dark Side. I went caching with a local cacher who's just gotten a Garmin 60c and it's a totally fantastic GPSr. If I were shopping in that price range ($350ish) I would definitely consider it. He got a Meridian Color first, but had problems with it - went to the Garmin and has never looked back. Way cool. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I am torn. The Magellan Meridian Color Travler pac comes with alot of stuff that I would end up buying later. The Garmin Garmin 60cs just comes by itself but seems to have alot more features. This only comes from reading descriptions of them both. I don't know anyone with either of these so I haven't been up close and personal to them to check them out. What problems did your friend have with his Meridian?

Well I have decided to go with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. It just seems to have alot of features and be a little more up to date. I sure hope I am making the right decision. I keep reading about freeze ups. What's that all about??? What are some other know problems?

I was torn between the magellan platinum/color or the garmin 60cs. I ended up buying a bluetooth receiver to use with my ipaq.

What I didn't like about the garmin was the lack of a memory slot. With the magellan you can switch maps in the field which if your traveleing a large area is a definate plus. The magellan color didn't have the compass and the platinum and the 60cs did. I was leaning toward the magellan platinum because I could get it with the traveler pack with all the goodies for less than the base cost on the 60cs. The 60cs geocache mode looks very interesting and I felt it would be nice to support a company that is recognizing our sport.

I ended up going with a Fortuna clip on blue tooth and couldn't be happier. Even though the mapping/routing is good on those units its not close to what the Ipaq is capable of.

Just remember if you buy one of these mapping units the maps cost extra , around $100, (unless you get a bundle deal) and they will only work with the maps from that manufacture.

Hi - brand new to this geocaching thing (my uncle introduced me to it for the first time on Sunday and I LOVED it. Even if we only found one of the two caches that we were looking for. :) )

So needless to say, I've been researching different GPS units for the last couple of days, and am now thoroughly confused over which to get. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the yellow eTrex, the Geko 201, and the Legend (which is what my uncle uses).

First of all, mapping capabilities... is buying map software the only way to get maps for downloading to the Legend, or can you download it like freeware/shareware from the internet? I looked around a little for the info, and it seems that the only map software around doesn't come cheap. Having the ability to download maps is a nice plus, but not if it costs a small fortune to actually GET the maps themselves.

And if I'm not actually using any downloadable maps, that seem that that would rule out the need for the Legend. Which leaves me with the eTrex and the Geko 201, which both seem to have their own pros and cons:

The eTrex is cheaper, seems to have a better screen, and uses AA batteries (I've already got two sets of AA rechargables that I use for something else now that could share the duties. But no WAAS capability, which seems like it would be kind of important. Does having WAAS capability make that big of a difference in how well the unit will work? Or is it fairly minor?

The Geko costs a little more, seems to have NOT quite so good of a screen, takes AAA batteries, but DOES have WAAS capability, and has a few extra functions that I kind of wouldn't mind having.

If I'm reading right, both are PC connectable, so they kind of cancel themselves out on that point (although are BOTH of them serial port connectable? That might make a difference, since I don't actually HAVE a serial port.)

Any suggestions for the newbie? :)

Thanks.

Hi - brand new to this geocaching First of all, mapping capabilities... is buying map software the only way to get maps for downloading to the Legend, or can you download it like freeware/shareware from the internet? I looked around a little for the info, and it seems that the only map software around doesn't come cheap. Having the ability to download maps is a nice plus, but not if it costs a small fortune to actually GET the maps themselves.

And if I'm not actually using any downloadable maps, that seem that that would rule out the need for the Legend. Which leaves me with the eTrex and the Geko 201, which both seem to have their own pros and cons:

Only you can answer the map question. The mapping units will typically cost more plus the cost of buying the map, maps are usually $75-$150. You are limited to the maps sold by the manufacture of the unit you are looking to purchase. I have read reports of people loading there own maps but its not simple and may void your warranty. The mapping units typically come with a basemap which may meet your needs depending on what you want the mapping for. Its nice to know which side of the river the cache is on.

The eTrex is cheaper, seems to have a better screen, and uses AA batteries (I've already got two sets of AA rechargables that I use for something else now that could share the duties. But no WAAS capability, which seems like it would be kind of important. Does having WAAS capability make that big of a difference in how well the unit will work? Or is it fairly minor?

The Geko costs a little more, seems to have NOT quite so good of a screen, takes AAA batteries, but DOES have WAAS capability, and has a few extra functions that I kind of wouldn't mind having.

I've read mixed reviews on the WAAS benefits. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me will answer. I would say it can't hurt to have the capability especially if you like the unit for other features it has.

If I'm reading right, both are PC connectable, so they kind of cancel themselves out on that point (although are BOTH of them serial port connectable? That might make a difference, since I don't actually HAVE a serial port.)

Few units can't plug into a PC. Off hand the only 2 I can think of are the gecko 101 and the fortuna GPSmart. Most are serial with many of the newest models being USB. There are serial to USB adapters but you would have to confirm that it worked with whichever model you choose.

Edited by JeepCachr

I would agree with what everyone has said so far. About the only thing I would add that I don't think I stressed enough in my first post is how nice it is to have a memory card. Memory in your GPS is something that you can never have enough of in my opinion. With the Meridian series you can have as large a memory card you want and/or several memory cards that you can switch between. When dealing with detail maps it can be VERY usefull to have several different maps and that requires lots of memory.

As far as WAAS goes when it is working it will improve your accuracy some. Magellan reports that with WAAS GPS accuracy can be less then 3 meters. But it is not required by any means. Lots of good information can be found on the FAA web site for the WAAS system.

FAA WAAS

Good luck!

Adam

:)      I'm new to, has anyone use the Garmin Geko?  It looks nice but i don't know what features you whant when out Geocaching. Thanks

Max

Two geocaching family members just got a Geko 201. They love it for caching, and I'll have to agree that it has just about all anyone could want that doesn't require any mapping. When I used it, I found it very user friendly, and actually FUN to use.

I, personally, use a Meridian Color with Direct Route since I use it for driving, too.

Hey, warbones! Welcome from the 'other place'.

I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum. The same as a Gold, but with a compass and barometer.

I really like it.

The bottom line is to play with some. See what you like, see what works for you. Borrow your friend's GPS to see if you like it, borrow your co-worker's to see if you like it. Go to the store & play with their display models.

Nobody can tell you what GPS is right for you. They can tell you, like I have, which ones THEY like and which ones are right for THEM.

My 2¢

BTW, the debate between Garmin and Magellan can get as ugly as Ford vs Chevy!

Yeah, I kinda figured the debate would be an issue. I am a chevy guy. Stupid thing is I have no reason why aside from My dad was a chevy guy(70 blazer) However there some ford trucks(older) that I also like.

As far as Garmin vs Magellan . I don't know anyone with a GPS.So I am going to have to go off of what I am reading.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CS.

I like the all the bells and whistles of the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS(Special geocaching navigation mode) . I feel like it is the most up to date GPS of the two that I am looking at. I have read about the 60's freezing up. Could be a software issue. I don't know. I don't like the limited ability of the memory. It does have 56 MB of internal memory for storing map detail. 50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points and 1000 waypoints with additional graphical icons for location identification .

This may be all I need. I am not sure of that as well. I plan on using this for geocaching, but if I should deside to take a trip I could use it for that as well. Any additional maps I will have to purchase separately. I like the looks of the GPS. The screenshots look nice.

Magellan Meridian Color

I like the fact that you can upgrade the memory. I like the looks of the Magellan GPS better then the Garmin. I have read alot about the battery drain using the backlit display(not crazy about that) Comes with 16 MB of memeroy upgradable to I believe 128 memory storage cards.

Store up to 20 routes, 500 waypoints and 2,000 track-points to easily find your way back again. Not as much as the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS( how much is actually needed or necessary) will this be enough? I have no clue. Overkill not needed.

The travel package is a very attractive reason to go with this one as it comes with the Meridian Color handheld GPS receiver:

MapSend DirectRoute CD-ROM(will I need this)

Vehicle mounting bracket(would be nice to have)

PC data cable with cigarette lighter adapter(another good thing)

64 MB SD memory card(already surpassing the 56 MB that Garmin comes with)

This total package cost about the same as the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS.

I am leaning towards the Garmin and maybe buying the new Magellan if and when they come out with something new. I stll am undecided but will be buying one online tonight.

I'd get a Garmin ETrex Legend. I have a Venture, which I got for about $150 on the web last year, and it has worked great. It has good reception, is easy to use, has a decent amount of memory (1 MB) and fits nicely in my hand. I have had it underwater and it does what they say -- continues to work even when wet.

However, you can find a Legend (more memory and it has base maps of the USA) for about $180 on the web now -- definately worth the extra $30. I'm likely to upgrade this year and sell my Venture.

I have to say I use a Legend. Great gps. Very user friendly. I find myself using it all the time. I have had no problems in dense tree cover and have used it to mark good spots for fishing when I took it on my boat last summer. Just my opinion but I hope it helps you out.

Just a few comments on your comments.....

I have read alot about the battery drain using the backlit display(not crazy about that)

Batteries are cheap, invest in a battery charger... for $50 you can have 8 2200mAh batteries, a high quality charger, and never have to worry about running out of power :blink:

Comes with 16 MB of memeroy upgradable to I believe 128 memory storage cards.

You can use any size SD card you want. 16MB,32MB,64MB,128MB,264MB,1GB or any combo of as many as you want! :D

Store up to 20 routes, 500 waypoints and 2,000 track-points to easily find your way back again. Not as much as the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS( how much is actually needed or necessary) will this be enough? I have no clue. Overkill not needed.

More that I have EVER needed..... Not to mention with the memory card set up you can change between as many sets of these as you want. Save/delete/load.... Save/delete/load... for ever and ever.....

The travel package is a very attractive reason to go with this one as it comes with the Meridian Color handheld GPS receiver:

MapSend DirectRoute CD-ROM(will I need this)

Vehicle mounting bracket(would be nice to have)

PC data cable with cigarette lighter adapter(another good thing)

64 MB SD memory card(already surpassing the 56 MB that Garmin comes with)

This total package cost about the same as the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS.

That at least for me was a HUGE factor.... I can tell you no matter what one you get you will want some type of mapping software. A vehicle mounting bracket is almost a nessary if you plan to use it in the car. And I have never talked to anyone who did not recomend a PC data cable. The fact that it doubbles as a power adapter is a bonus.

Good luck with your purchase!

Adam

Edited by TeamAv8r

Glad to hear it! :blink: Now to find you the best price.... I was going to say www.vanns.com but I just looked at it is $100 more then it was 30 days ago. It is still a good price but hopefully you have been looking around. I will let you know if I find anything.

Congrats and welcome to my vice! :D

Adam

$398 at Amazon.com

edit to add amazon.com info

Edited by TeamAv8r

I will throw in....I started with the Etrex, and also used a Magellan 315, and now I use the Meridian Platinum and love it...the expandable memory and the BIG screen sold me on Magellan...with a 128 mg SD card, I get more streets across the Western U.S. than I will ever use! Don't know how I got along without it....

I have seen the 60C and was not impressed with the small screen, which isn't even recessed into the unit to prevent scratches. The buttons are placed too close together for my liking as well (although they DO look just like a Magellan Meridian series GPS, just not spaced far enough apart).

Whatever you choose, take your time and get a good look at all the different models and features, then make your choice!

The mapping units typically come with a basemap which may meet your needs depending on what you want the mapping for. Its nice to know which side of the river the cache is on.

Good thinking.So having a gps with mapping capability, even if I never spend the $$$ to actually buy map cds, which I can't really see me doing, is still not a bad idea, if for no other reason that I can get a better idea of where a cache is located in relation to the area that it's in.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. With all the recommendations, not to mention it's the one I've actually tried and am already somewhat familiar with, I've got a bid on a Legend on ebay as we speak. I figure if I get that one, and change my mind at some point about getting new maps, since it's got memory, I'll have the space for it, and not be kicking myself for getting the cheaper one with no map capability. Plus having WAAS capability, given that I'm new at this, the closer it'll get me to a cache, the better off I'll be. :bad: