Cough, Cough - Need Help From Smokers

Stem

My name is STEM and i'm a smoker. Now that my confession is out of the way, I need some help ;) . Last year, a large tobacco corp. kindly gave me some containers for my butts while hiking.

They are made out of material similar to the foil inside of a pack of smokes, slightly larger than a credit card, and designed to put used butts into. That way you're not littering or starting a potetial fire. I used to just wet my old butts and put them in my pocket, but they made a mess and smelled bad. These keep the smell in, and prevent a mess.

I love using these, as I will stop and have a cig from time to time while hiking. The only problem is that I'm almost out. I've checked all the stores around here (Lancaster, PA) that sell outdoor gear, and nobody sells them.

Does anybody else use these, and if so, where can they be found. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

BTW, please don't warn me about the dangers of smoking, or I'll have to warn you about the dangers of ticking off someone who always carries fire starting implements on his person :o

I got some of those foil things also, and think they're great. I have one or two left that I keep in my Camelbak.

I haven't decided what I'm going to use when I run out. I've also just put the butts in my pocket, but dislike doing it for the same reasons.

I think a sandwich bag is fine, or even carry some foil around to wrap them up in before putting them in a pocket. I used to have a small metal ashtray, about 1x2x.5" that was basically a drawer that slid out of its wrapper. When it was out, a small cradle type thing sprung up to rest a cigarette on. It had the logo of another big cig company on it and it was pretty old when I got a hold of it. I wish I still had it as it'd be perfect for this.

Anyway, I don't have an ideal solution for you, but any solution works as long as you're not leaving your butts on the trail! :o

I commend you guys for being so concerned about butt littering. I think that us non-smokers would be much more tolerant of smokers if it wasn't for the inconsiderate ones who think that the world is their ashtray.

I especially love the ones who throw the butt out the window while driving. I'm sure their car has an ashtray. I guess they don't want to dirty up the inside of the car by having something as offensive as a cig butt in the ashtray. :o

But again, I respect you for attempting to find a way to dispose of your butts responsibly.

I had an ex-bf who smoked non-filters and he field stripped. I had never heard of it til then. My most recent ex-bf would pocket them.

I hope you find the containers you are looking for.

GPSKitty

It it's the one that I'm thinking of, it was a program run by RJ Reynolds called Smokers for a Clean America. They're no longer running the program

http://www.cigarettelitter.org/index.asp?p...me=FreeAshtrays

but you might contact them at the following phone number address to see if they have any left over or who their supplier was.

General 1-800-372-9300

Rogene Furches, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, P.O. Box 2959, Winston-Salem, NC 27102

Along those lines, a foil lined hotdog bag may serve as a replacment. Bagcraft also makes bags called flamepaks which are foil line for carry out food. You might contact them to see if they any ideas.

Lastly, thanks for being thoughtful enough to pack'em out. :o

Hi, we're both smokers, and although we haven't been geocaching all that long, we don't smoke on the trails (largely because we're not gone from the car all that long, but also worry about the litter/fire aspect). I checked the website mentioned and they do offer some other alternatives, although they aren't free. options

There are a few that look as if they'll fit in your pocket or backpack and would solve the problem. Think we might look into these for ourselves. Thanks for the link, Team Mach.

edit: spelling

Edited by mistaken4sisters

I heard that since the smoking ban went into effect in NYC more people are throwing their butts into the street, they wash down the storm drains into the river and now many more are showing up on beaches. Field strip! How hard can it be. The Framboise containers sound like a good idea, they wouldn't leak out ashes like the Altoids tin might. Which leads me to my pet peave. People who toss out their coffee cups where ever they please!!! :rolleyes: Dunkin Donuts, MacDonalds, Burger King, and Starbucks etc..... They are all guilty of coffee cups that won't go away, and soda cups too.

edit: to apologize for going off topic.

Edited by Planet

Thanks for your consideration in not throwing your cigarette butts on the ground. One figure I saw estimated that 176,000,000 pounds of cigarette butts are generated in the US annually. The toxins in the filters are nasty, and a single butt can poison 2 gallons of water to the point where it kills water fleas, which are important to the food chain. You can imagine how harmful it is if fish or other animals eat them (which apparently happens fairly regularly).

Sorry I don't have any suggestions, although the film canister sounds like a good idea. I suppose an altoid tin would work as well, and may fit your pocket better.

Edited by Indiana Cojones

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas guys :P . I didn't expect so many alternitives to be suggested! You guys are on the ball :):D

Team mach, you were right about the program ran by RJR. I didn't mention the name because some people think that Sadaam is a kitty cat next to this company :ph34r: .

Thanks to those who thanked the conscientious smokers out there (and thanks to dictionary.com for the spelling :rolleyes: ). It is possible to be a smoker and care about the enviornment at the same time. I will second the kudos to all the other eco-friendly smokers.

Special thanks to chazman007. I never thought about quitting before. Since you have enlightened me, I will nevere, ever smoke another cigarette as long as I live, puff puff. I don't know what I would have done without your thoughtful, original idea, puff puff.

Ok, back to positive thoughts. The ideas posted here represent some wonderful alternitives to leaving your cig on the trail. Maybe some people that do leave em on the trail will use these ideas also!

Edited by Stem
I especially love the ones who throw the butt out the window while driving. I'm sure their car has an ashtray. I guess they don't want to dirty up the inside of the car by having something as offensive as a cig butt in the ashtray.  :rolleyes:

Yeah- that's real fun when you're riding a motorsickle and having a red hot cinder bounce off your helmet :ph34r: .

I especially love the ones who throw the butt out the window while driving. I'm sure their car has an ashtray. I guess they don't want to dirty up the inside of the car by having something as offensive as a cig butt in the ashtray.  :rolleyes:

Yeah- that's real fun when you're riding a motorsickle and having a red hot cinder bounce off your helmet :ph34r: .

I'll second that one!!

Heck, I just toss mine into the nearest car with a rolled-down window, or the bed of someone else's pickup truck.....that way, it doesn't dirty up my Jeep, doesn't poison any poor little fishies, and doesn't litter up the ground.....when I'm on the trail, I try to stick them down ant hills or other critters' holes....out of sight, out of mind. :rolleyes:

My husband is in the Army and this is one of his biggest struggles with his soldiers. He can't even stand them field stripping them! His punishment for getting caught throwing a butt on the ground was making the joe carry a garbage bag attached to his belt until the entire bag was filled with butts the soldier had picked up. Well, the guys never wanted to be busted for that again, so they all started wearing these on their belts: CanKeepers They pretty much just pop off the cherry and put the butt in the belt clip. I guess it keeps the smell down too, because my husband can't stand that either and he hasn't complained about it. Anyways, just a suggestion...

Hey here is an idea, QUIT!

You missed the last line of his post. Let me quote it for you. :rolleyes:

BTW, please don't warn me about the dangers of smoking, or I'll have to warn you about the dangers of ticking off someone who always carries fire starting implements on his person

But he didn't warn about the dangers of smoking. He just said quit. A perfectly reasonable alternative, even if smoking were healthy!

I also want to commend anyone that still smokes and takes the effort to field strip & pack out the butts! I remember many years ago when I first saw someone do that. Perhaps the butt tossers don't realize the danger of "2nd hand butts". I'd almost rather see someone throw a drink cup out the window than a cigarette butt. In addition to being a greater pollution threat, there is always the chance that it could start a roadside fire.

Along the line of using film cans, when I use to buy film (before my digital camera), Agfa use to use a really nice aluminum can with a screw on lid. If you could find one of those, they would be great. Water & air tight.

In a word, Pall Mall, no wait in two words. :rolleyes:

When I worked on FS trail those of us who smoked were encouraged to roll our own. Hand rolled Cig's don't contain the crud that keeps them burning when you don't draw on them, so they self extinguish. And no filter to deal with.

Later I preferred a pipe in the woods.

Now I just drop and do ten when the urge to light up hits me. I'm a hit at when I go drinking with the boys. :ph34r:

Special thanks to chazman007. I never thought about quitting before. Since you have enlightened me, I will nevere, ever smoke another cigarette as long as I live, puff puff. I don't know what I would have done without your thoughtful, original idea, puff puff.

Hey no problem, glad I could point it out to you!!!!

Special thanks to chazman007.  I never thought about quitting before.  Since you have enlightened me, I will nevere, ever smoke another cigarette as long as I live, puff puff.  I don't know what I would have done without your thoughtful, original idea, puff puff.

I plan to quit smoking also....about 3 days before the autopsy...... :D

Special thanks to chazman007.  I never thought about quitting before.  Since you have enlightened me, I will nevere, ever smoke another cigarette as long as I live, puff puff.  I don't know what I would have done without your thoughtful, original idea, puff puff.

I plan to quit smoking also....about 3 days before the autopsy...... :D

Quitting is easy I did it lots of times.

Edit: Kind of like geocide. :blink:

Edited by rusty_tlc
I'd have to agree with quitting as the most sensible alternative. 

That being said I applaud you for even thinking about taking such precautions.  Big Props to you!  :bad:

I recently organized a CITO event on Sanibel beach and we picked up 35,000 cigarette butts!!!  ;)

So who actually counted all those butts? Cigarette butts that is.

Since I was so helpful earlier, I would like to commend Stem for being concerned about the enviroment. Not many people bother.

Everytime I see someone tossing a butt out the window of a car, my angry side would like to get out and toss it back in, hopefully still burning.

Hopefully the non-smokers out there have realized by some of the posts to this thread that not all smokers are litterbugs. However, as the saying goes - one bad apple...

Since starting this thread I have purchased the Zippo pocket ashtray. I got it at a local tobacco shop for $10, not at the site through the link (just wanted to give a link, and this was the first one google gave me).

I really like it! I have used it several times in the past two days, and it works real well. It keeps the odor in, stays shut, and is easy to empty and clean. I took it out caching today to test drive it 'in the field'. Unfortunately today was a day of mostly urban micros, with a couple that had a short hike. It worked as promised, and I think I've found my replacement. Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

ps hey chazman007 - no hard feelings :bad:

Hopefully the non-smokers out there have realized by some of the posts to this thread that not all smokers are litterbugs. However, as the saying goes - one bad apple...

Since starting this thread I have purchased the Zippo pocket ashtray. I got it at a local tobacco shop for $10, not at the site through the link (just wanted to give a link, and this was the first one google gave me).

I really like it! I have used it several times in the past two days, and it works real well. It keeps the odor in, stays shut, and is easy to empty and clean. I took it out caching today to test drive it 'in the field'. Unfortunately today was a day of mostly urban micros, with a couple that had a short hike. It worked as promised, and I think I've found my replacement. Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

That's cool. They've got those at the smoke shop where I buy my pipe tobacco. I just might have to get one. It's getting harder as the spring winds kick up to get those butts flicked into other cars, and as summer hits, most the windows are rolled up and the a/c is on, so I have even more trouble getting my butts into other cars.....

Hopefully the non-smokers out there have realized by some of the posts to this thread that not all smokers are litterbugs.  However, as the saying goes - one bad apple... 

Since starting this thread I have purchased the Zippo pocket ashtray.  I got it at a local tobacco shop for $10, not at the site through the link (just wanted to give a link, and this was the first one google gave me).

I really like it!  I have used it several times in the past two days, and it works real well.  It keeps the odor in, stays shut, and is easy to empty and clean.  I took it out caching today to test drive it 'in the field'. Unfortunately today was a day of mostly urban micros, with a couple that had a short hike.  It worked as promised, and I think I've found my replacement.  Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

That's cool. They've got those at the smoke shop where I buy my pipe tobacco. I just might have to get one. It's getting harder as the spring winds kick up to get those butts flicked into other cars, and as summer hits, most the windows are rolled up and the a/c is on, so I have even more trouble getting my butts into other cars.....

OMG!!! a wet cat that also smells like smoke? eeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!! ;)

Hopefully the non-smokers out there have realized by some of the posts to this thread that not all smokers are litterbugs.  However, as the saying goes - one bad apple... 

Since starting this thread I have purchased the Zippo pocket ashtray.  I got it at a local tobacco shop for $10, not at the site through the link (just wanted to give a link, and this was the first one google gave me).

I really like it!  I have used it several times in the past two days, and it works real well.  It keeps the odor in, stays shut, and is easy to empty and clean.  I took it out caching today to test drive it 'in the field'. Unfortunately today was a day of mostly urban micros, with a couple that had a short hike.  It worked as promised, and I think I've found my replacement.  Thanks to all those who offered suggestions!

OMG!!! a wet cat that also smells like smoke? eeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!! :bad:

Yeah, but most of the time, it's vanilla pipe tobacco smoke....kinda like a rancid air-freshener...... ;)

I am new to Geocaching, but have done a lot of travelling. When out in State and National Parks, I have been field stripping the tobacco portion and placing the filters in a 35mm film canister. The canister seals tight enough to keep any odor in, and your pocket or pack will stay clean. I plan on using the same system while Geocaching.