Ftf Prize

biggeeks

So, we recently scored an FTF on a cache by JPP called "Lizard's Lair". In the cache description, one of the contents in the cache was an FTF unused travel bug dog tag set. I took it, and then left a pen for the log book, but didn't have anything else to trade for the FTF prize.

Is the FTF prize by definition a freebie, or do you still have to trade for it. When I set up our caches, I assume the FTF to be a freebie, but I usually only leave a sacajewa dollar, never anything over 5 bucks.

So was I right in taking the FTF prize and not trading for it, or do I need to go back and throw a tin of Altoids in there? :o

I usually trade something for it. But I keep in mind that it is a PRIZE and trade accordingly. If they leave a dollar FTF prize then I will trade is with something small maybe a couple of 1/4, maybe a small figuring, you get the picture. But if the FTF prize if $5 then I might leave a couple change. Just to share the wealth and keep a reason for someone else to hurry up and get STF on it. You are not "wrong" to not leave something from what I can see done in the geocaching circles but it is nice to keep stuff for others to trade for in there.

Besides if you want to get technical you did trade for a pen.

Edited by Camel680

Ditto that ugly cat dude.

FTF prizes are to be removed without trade, in my caches anyway.

But if you take more, I would expect fair trade if possible. Things happen where you locate something in a cache you just have to have but you do not have what you feel is an adequate trade item or selection of items. Just make up for it somewhere along the line.

logscaler.

Go for it Biggeeks! It's yours and you earned it.

(Touchstone cursing under his breath for not having gone out during lunch to beat the BG team and his dog Henry)

I'll often trade for the FTF prize, but by no means are you obligated. It's a prize that you earn for being first. I left some unregistered TB tags in one of my caches up north as a FTF prize. The Old Folks beat out jpp (just barely) for the FTF, turned around and put the TB back into one of my other caches (Rimrock). It was kind of cool to see how the prize got used.

Congratulations :o

Edited by Touchstone

As I had mentioned in another thread (too lazy to Markwell) I recently placed a cache in honor of my 300th find (and turning 40) and filled it with some pretty good stuff. Since the container was a 5 gallon drum there was tons of room--3 DVDs, 2 CDs, 3 paperbacks, a large water blaster, Nerf football, etc, etc, etc. I also included a FTF prize -- which was only a million lira note from Turkey (worth squat) but sort of cool.

The FTF came along and took all three of the DVDs and claims to have emptied his trade bag as a swap. The FTF prize was left.

Not a big deal since I left the stuff konwing it was going to get taken but hoping the good stuff would last longer than the FTF. Shrug.

Oh -- on FTF prizes. IMHO: Take them independent of anything else you take/swap.

Edited by OzGuff

I always trade for a prize, even if it means leaving five $1 bills in exchange for a $5. I don't begrudge others who don't trade, especially as I'm in the minority on this issue.

In one case, I didn't have anything appropriate to trade for a $5 FTF prize; so I left it. Some future finders insisted on taking the prize and later giving it to me at an event.

When I left a FTF prize in Shipwreck Isle, I expectd nothing but a nice thanks in the log. :o I am happy the people who got there first got the spoils, but I don't expect anything in return

(its hard to get to, so everyone who went there had to work)

I just hope all who visited after the FTF enjoyed the experience.