My New Bug

SCP-173

Well I give you a 9 for creativity and making a different kind of TB. However what part of the FAQ's regarding cache content dont's :

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

did you think shouldn't apply to this TB's contents?

Since I collect knives I started it out with a small pocket knife.

It's not that some of us are the cache police-it's that some of us are working very hard with land managers to get more places opened up and receptive to caching. They don't want knives in caches hidden on their land, which is why TPTB added this to the FAQ's!

Its a cool TB idea and I like it. You may see it not move too much because most cache hiding spots couldnt accomodate it.

I agree. This is going to be a difficult travel bug to place; and as another cacher said: this TB could be construed as being the cache. It would help if the ammo can was labeled a TB.

Also I can't help but wonder how long the items that are placed in the TB ammo can will last. Most caches that start out with nice items in them, end up with junk in a very short time. I hate to say it, but there are cachers out there that will see this TB as an opportunity to restock their personal trade items.

...there are cachers out there that will see this TB as an opportunity to restock their personal trade items.

Which makes one wonder... since the idea is for finders not to trade items but simply to leave items, what are you going to do with all of the stuff that they add to it?? Are you creating an opportunity to restock your personal trade items??

Well I give you a 9 for creativity and making a different kind of TB. However what part of the FAQ's regarding cache content dont's did you think shouldn't apply to this TB's contents?

It's not that some of us are the cache police-it's that some of us are working very hard with land managers to get more places opened up and receptive to caching. They don't want knives in caches hidden on their land, which is why TPTB added this  to the FAQ's!

Firstly, I asked if anyone has ever seen a bug like mine. Nothing more. Frankly I don't care how you or anyone feels about knives. If someone is afraid of a 3 inch tool (because that's all a knife is, it's the person that makes it a weapon) then they have issues. The rules are for caches, not travel bugs. Sure, I'm taking advantage of that, but that's the reality of it. I've found dozens of caches with swiss army type knives in them anyway, so apparently other people feel the same way. Heck, there's even a knife themed cache that hasn't been forcably archived. If somebody doesn't want a travel bug containing a knife on their property then they can remove it. They can even keep it for all I care. I'd rather lose the $5 TB, $3 ammo can and $1.50 knife then comform to make paranoid people happy. I may sound like a jerk, but it's my bug. I'd rather lose out on a few places to cache then have more rules layed down on me.

Now that I'm done with that rant that shouldn't have been necessary I can actually make some replys that are relevent to this topic.

I don't really expect the bug to move around all that fast, I just hope no one decides to keep it. I wrote "travel bug" all over it with a sharpie and put a big travel bug sticker on the inside of it, so I'd hope people realize it's not the cache. I just thought it would be something (a lot!) different from the norm.

ghOzt: I don't plan on having it come back to me. I figure when (if) it gets that full I'll just tell whoever has it to keep half the stuff and send it on its way.

Edited by Vargseld

Not a bad idea. I am not really that concerned w/ the knife thing, and have even placed knives before. Since I am a rule follower, I have stopped that practice though. One of the first caches we found, we took a knife (small swiss keychain type) so being newbies, we thought it was acceptable.

Somewhere here in MI is a TB that is a cinderblock, I have yet to find it but am looking!

Frankly I don't care how you or anyone feels about knives. If someone is afraid of a 3 inch tool (because that's all a knife is, it's the person that makes it a weapon) then they have issues.

OH NO here we go again! :o BTW I think that it is too big for a TB but that's just my opinion. ;)

I've been planning on using a TB to create a "moving cache" but not that size....because it's pretty hard to hide.

PS, I hope you covered up the military markings on the can. Nothing will get the police involved faster than a muggle stumbling on a box in a park labeled "200 cartridges - 7.62mm".

I've been planning on using a TB to create a "moving cache" but not that size....because it's pretty hard to hide.

PS, I hope you covered up the military markings on the can. Nothing will get the police involved faster than a muggle stumbling on a box in a park labeled "200 cartridges - 7.62mm".

I never thought of it being like a traveling cache, but your absolutly right. It's just got a somewhat more personal touch. The pic isn't of the actual bug, I took it after releasing it. I don't remember what was on it, but it's something different.

The rules are for caches, not travel bugs. Sure, I'm taking advantage of that, but that's the reality of it. I've found dozens of caches with swiss army type knives in them anyway, so apparently other people feel the same way. Heck, there's even a knife themed cache that hasn't been forcably archived. If somebody doesn't want a travel bug containing a knife on their property then they can remove it. They can even keep it for all I care. I'd rather lose the $5 TB, $3 ammo can and $1.50 knife then comform to make paranoid people happy. I may sound like a jerk, but it's my bug. I'd rather lose out on a few places to cache then have more rules layed down on me.

Those rules are for caches, and your TB is going to be part of the cache. Knives in caches are the reason we can't place geocaches in certain areas anymore. You don't care about the rules, but there are thousands of geocachers who do, and would be even more upset about having more areas deemed off-limits due to a knife, or "tool" as you call it, being found in a cache because you think you are above the rules. As far as the TB, I think it's entirely too large and not at all original from what I've been seeing on the TB pages. As far as openly defying the rules and thereby damaging everyone's enjoyment of the game by having to endure even more bans, that's just plain selfish and ignorant.

Those rules are for caches, and your TB is going to be part of the cache.  Knives in caches are the reason we can't place geocaches in certain areas anymore.  You don't care about the rules, but there are thousands of geocachers who do, and would be even more upset about having more areas deemed off-limits due to a knife, or "tool" as you call it, being found in a cache because you think you are above the rules.  As far as the TB, I think it's entirely too large and not at all original from what I've been seeing on the TB pages.  As far as openly defying the rules and thereby damaging everyone's enjoyment of the game by having to endure even more bans, that's just plain selfish and ignorant.

Unless the cache container is exceptionally large and can accomodate the bug it's not part of the cache. The cache page, yes, but not truely the cache. Further more, for something to be a rule there has to be authority. The actual approving and archiving of caches (and I believe a bugs number can be deactivated, too) is the only authority any geocaching admins have when it comes to physical aspects of caches. Now that's not an attack, but just what I believe is the case. Online they've got plenty of authority, but there's no way they can monitor things out in the world. If there's something in a cache that's not allowed what are they going to do? Archive it? There's really not much that can be done. I don't think I'm above the rules (I've never actually put knives in a cache, even though I easily could and just not log it). I just think that if there are no concrete rules for travel bugs then that's basically saying that anything that's not illegal is allowed. Perhaps they should ammend the travel bug section to include guidelines on what's allowed. Perhaps I'm just too analytical.

As far as thinking the bug is too large, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I'd point out that I never deemed it original, mearly different. My intent was to find out if there were any bugs that were like mine. There are definitely some other strange bugs out there, which is really cool! Thanks to all the people who replied with info that was relevent to what I asked.

As far as the knife goes, if an approver is really that against it then just ask and I'll take it out. Simple as that. The bug is still local enough that I can get it back.

Oh, and I fail to see how I could be called ignorant. For that to be true I'd have to have a lack of knowledge and understanding about what I was doing. As you can see that is clearly not the case. Call it taking advantage of the system if you will, but the only ignorant person I see here is you.

I'd ask that an admin lock this useless thread and I appologize to anyone who was actually finding it interesting before it regretfully went horribly off topic (to which I'm equally to blame).

Edited by Vargseld
Oh, and I fail to see how I could be called ignorant. For that to be true I'd have to have a lack of knowledge and understanding about what I was doing. As you can see that is clearly not the case. Call it taking advantage of the system if you will, but the only ignorant person I see here is you.

I didn't call you ignorant. Look at my post again. I said the act of openly disobeying rules is ignorant. I don't see where you think you're right in calling me ignorant. Look up the definition of the word before you flame someone with it.....hmmm....now that's an ironic statement, isn't it?

Unless the cache container is exceptionally large and can accomodate the bug it's not part of the cache. The cache page, yes, but not truely the cache.

Again, you are wrong. If a person is dropping your TB in, around, or near a cache, then, yes, it is part of the cache. The land managers aren't going to care if it's a TB or a cache when they decide to ban geocaching in their area because they've found a knife in it. And yes, the approvers do have the authority and ability to archive a cache if they deem it inappropriate, either before or after placement. Get your facts straight next time.

Personally, I don't think it will work out the way you want it to. But the only thing that you can do is try it and find out. I would take the knife out of it, though. You started out saying that you put the knife in because you collect knives, but your last couple posts started to sound like you're intentionally pushing the limits of the guidelines.

By the way, you can lock the thread yourself. I believe it's at the lower left of the page. You don't have to ask a moderator to do it.

Tring to restrain...

Sparky's got a good point about knifes not being allowed in travel bugs because they aren't allowed in caches.

Looking at it analytically in terms of sets:

Items_allowed_in_caches (Set does not include) knifes

Items_allowed_in_caches (Set does include) travel bugs

Therefore

Items_allowed_in_travel_bugs (Set does not include) knifes

Edited by geckoee