Logging Each Multi-cache Stage??

ghOzt

With all the debate about logging of multiple finds on one cache, we might as well cover all bases...

In the event-cache thread, someone brought up that the owner of a puzzle cache wants the finders to make an online log for each stage that they find (on a single cache page). I have seen this done for multi-caches, as well.

Any opinions about this? I'm really just curious to hear what other people think (it may influence an idea for a cache that I have) and I really care very little about stats.

Is that a FIND for each stage? If the owner insists, then I guess you have no choice, as its the owner's rules. If he just says its OK, then I you have the option of only postin a find when you get to the end.

But simply logging finds for each stage of a multi, in most other cases, is kind of cheesy.

Edited by briansnat

You can set up a multi cache such that each state is it's own listed cache. The final cache though can only be found by finding the other caches first.

In that case each state is a real cache and loggable and the final is a multi that only has one cache under the Multi banner and it's logged too.

That probably wanst that clear...

Unless each stage is set up on its own cache page, I would feel pretty weird logging a find for each stage. If the owner insisted on it I guess I would do it. More likely I would just skip doing the cache because it just seems weird to me. I tend to skip multis alot anyway even though a few of my favorite caches were multis.

This is a good question. It's come up before, and as usual, people come down on both sides of the debate. A few months ago, I found a multi that had logbooks included in each stage of the cache. It was almost the same as doing three separate caches, with a couple of exceptions that might make the difference. The most obvious thing is that although multis have several separate stages, they share a cache page. This means that there is only one description covering the entire series of stages. Another difference is that many multis have stages that would not be approve-able as stand alone caches. (Such as no logbook, coords stamped on metal tag, etc.) In the end, perhaps it would be best if there was a movement toward making multi's that did have approve-able stages into series caches. This would allow the cache owner to have an individual page with it's own hints, difficulty/terrain ratings, and description for each individual stage. And it gives cachers an opportunity to write separate logs about their experiences finding each stage. Perhaps the term "multiple stage cache" more aptly describes what we know as multi caches. For those multis without approve-able individual stages, logging more than one find is probably not going to go over well with the unofficial geocaching stats regulatory commission. :o

Edited by Bloencustoms

I have a logbook in each stage of my multi, mostly due to the theme more than anything else. But despite having 4 logbooks, it's one cache, one journey, one story.

If someone wanted to log it 4 times, I'd probably politely ask them to change 3 of the 4 logs to notes since those log books aren't listed as caches on the site. They're all part of the same journey.

But what you choose to do with your finds and your caches is your own problem.