Where do we start

trm840

I don't see where I find the stash.

I,m seeing many posts RE: what to do in the last 100 feet. I don't know where to start, to enter the spot. Since my first set of batteries are half full, tomorrow I may be smarter. I'm working with a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Any help for a newbie...

Thanks, dennisc@ardennet.com icon_biggrin.gif

No soldier goes into combat without being fully aware of the abilities of his equipment. Likewize, you should know your equipment before you try to Geocache.

Start by knowing your GPS unit. Watch the satellite page, and twist the GPS around. see which way the antenna picks up satellites best. There are differences. Learn how to set in a waypoint so you know how to input cache coordinates. Mark a waypoint in your front yard, then take the dog for a walk. Come back, and see how close you come to the point you marked in your yard. Go to a park with some trees and do the same thing. Try it again in canyons, or in the downtown area if you don't have canyons.

Think about what you will carry with you when you cache. A lot depends on how far you will be going. I live in the desert. My minimal kit is 2 quarts of water, a cell phone, a digital camera, and a Swiss Army knife. This is for the caches in the city area. If I am going into the desert, the kit contains much more. 1 gallon of water per person and/or dog, signal mirror, flashing strobe, extra batteries, ham radio, pepper foam, a defensive pistol, and a well-equipped first aid kit. Add more or less as you see what you need.

Think about what you want to carry for trading items. Some people have a "signature item", something they put in all caches. My signature item is paper documents on historic places and/or events in the area. Like the 1953 B-36 bomber crash in the mountains, the only Tin Mines in the USA, the Rio Grande, a 5000 year old archiological site, etc. I also try to add a kids toy to every cache, but not used McDonalds toys (mctoys). If you can, try to leave more than you take. It makes the game better for everyone.

Last... think about a software package where you can save your waypoints, your tracks (paths), and edit or manipulate your GPS data. I like ExpertGPS, cost per feature, it works for me. But there are others. Check around.

And above all... JUMP IN! Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the people on here are very helpful, although some of them have strange opinions. *grin*

Have fun... let us hear how you are progressing.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

[This message was edited by KD9KC on September 19, 2002 at 06:37 AM.]

First thing to do is enter the waypoint of the cache you are hunting into your GPS (check your user manual for info). Then hit the Go To button

(again check your user manual) and hop in your car and follow that arrow.

P.S. It would make it easier if you look at the map of where the cache is, so you know the best way to get there. Also, bring the cache page print out with you so you can decrypt the cheater if you need to.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
My minimal kit is 2 quarts of water, a cell phone, a digital camera, and a Swiss Army knife. This is for the caches in the city area. If I am going into the desert, the kit contains much more. 1 gallon of water per person and/or dog, signal mirror, flashing strobe, extra batteries, ham radio, pepper foam, a defensive pistol, and a well-equipped first aid kit. Add more or less as you see what you need.

You carry a gallon of water per person? I imagine it's pretty empty by the time you reach the cache. Must be thirsty work carrying all that water.

Faderaven; Please stay out of the desert. You'll probably not survive. A gallon of water may only last a few hours. If you are in the desert at 90 deg.F with no water you die in 7 days, when not moving. If you have 1 gal. You die in 10.5 days. Take all you can carry you won't regret it, unless you get snakebit....

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

You carry a gallon of water per person? I imagine it's pretty empty by the time you reach the cache. Must be thirsty work carrying all that water.

Heh heh heh... it is obvious you have not seriously hiked in desert terrain. Especially at altitude. There is a little patch of land north of here called "Jornada Del Muerto", the Journey of Death". Come hike it some time, and leave your "Heavy" water behind. Then tell us about it.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

quote:
Originally posted by Trailblazer # 1:

Mike you ought to know where that is!I was raised in the desert in Deming N.M.,born in El Paso, and spent many days and nights on the desert,

Kilborne's Hole is still there, as it Phillip's Hole, and Hunt's Hole. In fact, there is a Geocache at Kilborne's Hole. Where are you at now?

I wouldn't even think of going there without water. In fact, for that trip, I would take at least a 5 gallon jerry-can full. Something as simple as a rock through your transmission cooler could have you stranded out there several hours before help finds you.

BTW, I live just E of Santa Teresa, along the Rio Grande, and we do get out to the holes now and then. Going to Deming on Saturday, via the Columbus highway. Water WILL be packed.

Some people must think there is a 7-11 every mile out here. *grin*

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

I live in Missouri now Dad And I are retired from Elpaso Natural Gas Co.We lived at Akela,Florida Turbine Station, When I was younger I use to walk all over the deserts there But knew where all the Windmills are,(WERE)and had my desert training through Dad there,I have seen you here a couple of times and had'nt had the time to reply till today. My Uncle Roy also retired from White Sands Missle Range and we use to work the teletype to the first solar repeater that he was working on developing which by recent conversations has now become the Internet,he was the Ham pres. there once I still can't remember his call sign but will talk to him soon again and get it.The only real dangers that I encountered in living there for 11 years was the Pygmy rattlers in the Florida's.I love the Gila as well. I moved up here to find abundant water!!!! have 7 springs on my Ranchito and a few cattle they use to make fun of me here because I wanted water, they are use to lotsawater here so.... but us desert rats love more water!!! uknow