Banning

HartClimbs

Just strange to see....

Banned User Profile

Although I was intrigued to see a new user show up in the forums with a post and some cache logs today.

Come on folks - it's just a game - seems ineffective to ban people from logging caches (even if they post giveaways to hard multi-caches which isn't very nice). I'm always amazed at the lengths individuals will go to just to cause problems for others but banning an account just leaves one really ticked off person out there who knows the location of pretty much every cache in the area.

I can't offer a good solution - just an observation.

Ok, I'm confused. Basson Pilot was banned? Why? When did this happen?

Me too. So far I have seen only people faking their logs or ruining the game by pirating/stealing/stashing others caches getting banned.

Perhaps he failed to renew his Premium Membership? That would match the history in his profile (expiring in March).

Whats going on here? How could he get banned. I dont know much about him, but I know he seems like a key player in this area. He has also helped me out with my rookie cache's. ( archived after less than a week). Is a geocaching boycott or protest in order?

So it's not just the forums? He can't even log caches?

I think a ban means you can't log in period. My bet is that a serious breach of forum etiquitte was involved. I'm not sure what, but BP is known for not mincing words and has stepped on toes in the past. Still, he is one of the major players in the sport in this area. He placed some of the first caches and helped popularize the sport in this area. And of course he's legendary for his cach hunting ability and the fact that he never shys away from a cache because the walk is too far, or the terrain too difficult.

These bans are usually temporary, so hopefully he'll be back soon. I've noticed recent logs from him in caches, so he's still out there hunting them.

This involved spoilers and insults in logs.

I've never known BP to put spoilers in logs and in fact he's often railed against people who do. Besides, if they banned everyone who put spoilers and insults in logs, there wouldn't be a lot of people left to hunt caches :rolleyes:

Edited by briansnat
I'm not sure what, but BP is known for not mincing words and has stepped on toes in the past.

So, they're banning folks who, annoying as they were, seemed to have some ethics and protocol and ACTUALLY CACHED but they let the trolls hang around?

Clear thinking for a more progressive site! Good job, guys!

I'm not sure what, but BP is known for not mincing words and has stepped on toes in the past.

So, they're banning folks who, annoying as they were, seemed to have some ethics and protocol and ACTUALLY CACHED but they let the trolls hang around?

Clear thinking for a more progressive site! Good job, guys!

Hmmmm.....as evidenced by that post, perhaps.....but I'm guessing it has something to do with his reaction to trolls and treatment of Groundspeak employees and customers. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm.....as evidenced by that post, perhaps.....but I'm guessing it has something to do with his reaction to trolls and treatment of Groundspeak employees and customers. :ph34r:

If that is the case then I'd like to see some examples of such behavior that could lead to banishment. I've never known BassoonPilot to participate in this hobby in any way that wasn't above board. It's true that he can be rather sharp-tongued (sharp-keyboarded?) in some debates on the forums but that can't be the sole reason. What if I disagree with a geocaching.com policy one day and unknowingly step on too many toes. Then I may actually have to get a life. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm.....as evidenced by that post, perhaps.....but I'm guessing it has something to do with his reaction to trolls and treatment of Groundspeak employees and customers. :ph34r:

If that is the case then I'd like to see some examples of such behavior that could lead to banishment. I've never known BassoonPilot to participate in this hobby in any way that wasn't above board. It's true that he can be rather sharp-tongued (sharp-keyboarded?) in some debates on the forums but that can't be the sole reason. What if I disagree with a geocaching.com policy one day and unknowingly step on too many toes. Then I may actually have to get a life. :rolleyes:

I'd provide examples, but I've already forwarded the offending PM's and emails to the proper address.

I'd provide examples, but I've already forwarded the offending PM's and emails to the proper address.

And you deleted those already? Man.

Yup....they were just clogging my in-box...besides, posting them here as examples really wouldn't be a kosher thing to do......I'd probably get warned or banned myself....

Yup....they were just clogging my in-box...besides, posting them here as examples really wouldn't be a kosher thing to do......I'd probably get warned or banned myself....

I wouldn't suggest posting it here either but at least you'll have something to forward to those who don't believe you. :rolleyes:

Personally, I archive all my insult email to CD-R. I got a lot of those free after rebate. Might as well use them for something.

Sparky, who knew Kansas was part of the northeast? I'd posted this in our local forum so local cachers were aware - maybe BP just got annoyed that you offer your input in every single thread and every single area.

But hey - you'd know best - guess you turned him in.

I agree - BP is an opinionated guy, but he's been involved in geocaching for a long time and clearly is a talented cache finder and it's strange to see him not allowed to post his finds online.

Edit: Since Floopy posted while I was writing this - I edited it to make it clear the comment was for Sparky - not Stayfloopy (guess Sparky'll be reporting me next).

Edited by HartClimbs

I keep all flames directed at me neatly filed, cross indexed by username and subject. So beware everyone. You might be next!!!

Hi all, and just our 2 cents for what its worth...we have only met 2 other cachers in person, but have had the pleasure of reading other "local's" posts as well as corresponded with others on several occasions. There are a lot of cachers here who we'd love to meet and value their opinions, since we are relatively new to this. Here are our observations, though.

As far as what we know of BP, he seems to be continuing to cache, regardless of whether they are logged or not. We've come across a few logs that he's signed although not logged online, he did leave notes in at least 2 caches over the past few days, and is currently planning on moving the Weird NJ "Rolling Rock" cache. We don't know the man, but perhaps a private discussion with him for those interested may solve the problem?

Thanks to all who have helped us & made us feel welcome.

If he were truely banned then most likely the admins aren't at liberty to discuss it on a public forum.

That is correct, it will not be discussed in a public forum. Speculation as to why an account is banned does not do anyone any good. Problems relating to specific cacher are dealt with by Groundspeak in private with that cacher.

If he were truely banned then most likely the admins aren't at liberty to discuss it on a public forum.

That is correct, it will not be discussed in a public forum. Speculation as to why an account is banned does not do anyone any good. Problems relating to specific cacher are dealt with by Groundspeak in private with that cacher.

That poses a dilema.

Banning a sock puppet, spammer, or troll we can all figure out and by and large we understand and agree with it. Banning a member of the community is another thing alltogether. How do we know we won't cross that line in the near future? How do we know the banning was on the up and up?

Keeping the reasons under wraps does not do any good either. People will speculate, they will ask, they will wonder, and story will emerge. It would be nice if that story happened to be the truth.

Edit: Clarification.

Edited by Renegade Knight

That poses a dilema.

Banning a sock puppet, spammer, or troll we can all figure out and by and large we understand and agree with it. Banning a member of the community is another thing alltogether. How do we know we won't cross that line in the near future? How do we know the banning was on the up and up?

Keeping the reasons under wraps does not do any good either. People will speculate, they will ask, they will wonder, and story will emerge. It would be nice if that story happened to be the truth.

Edit: Clarification.

Users are banned for a major violation of the Terms of Use of the site.

If you are not a "sock puppet, spammer, or troll" or violate the TOU in some other way, then you have little to worry about.

I realize that if people choose to gossip a story will emerge, but that does not mean I must post reasons for banning an user account in a public forum. To be blunt...in this case, it is really no ones business but the cacher.

I realize that if people choose to gossip a story will emerge, but that does not mean I must post reasons for banning an user account in a public forum.  To be blunt...in this case, it is really no ones business but the cacher.

I respectfully don't agree. I think when a well known and prolific member of the caching community is shut out from playing the game at this site - it's normal for people to ask why. I understand why you'd not want to share the info - but I think it's understandable for people to question as well. BP's been involved in caching for a while - and has found most caches in this area.

Besides, I'd heard from a guy who knows a girl who's cousin works for microsoft, who's boyfriend carpoools with NJAdmin that the banning was related to the provisions of the "Patriot Act" and that Rumsfeld would be addressing the issue on Sundays "face the nation".

Good riddance.

I'm glad I don't live anywhere near him because if I ever ran across him, I'd probably pop him one. Then he can try playing his bassoon with a fat lip.

A guy gets banned so he moves his caches to another listing site and you want to pop him for it?? :rolleyes: Go wrestle with Sasquatch tough guy.

...I realize that if people choose to gossip a story will emerge, but that does not mean I must post reasons for banning an user account in a public forum. To be blunt...in this case, it is really no ones business but the cacher...

I agree for one reason only. This is a private site.

Still it's good to know the TOS violation can lead to being banned.

Besides, I'd heard from a guy who knows a girl who's cousin works for microsoft, who's boyfriend carpoools with NJAdmin that the banning was related to the provisions of the "Patriot Act" and that Rumsfeld would be addressing the issue on Sundays "face the nation".

I heard it was for inappropriate use of the geocaching logo on toilet seat covers.

But that could be just gossip, you know? :rolleyes:

Edited by stayfloopy
So let me see if I have this straight. BP was banned for PMs and emails sent to Sparky?

And for that he was banned? Heck, he should be sainted!! Only kidding Sparky, only kidding.

He picked up 9 Travel Bugs today. Revenge?????

I would hope not. I've met him several times and he's a nice guy. I don't see that in him. People are different in the forums. iIf we all went by what we read in the forums, I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to give me a fat lip, but once they meet me in person, they find out that I am actually the perfect human being in every way.

Edited by briansnat

The new Bassonist Pilot picked up one of my travel bugs today from one of my caches. He currently has 7 +2 geocoins. Hopefully, they will all be unleashed as a great mightly horde across this entire area.

And yes, it does seem silly to ban prolific cachers, he is intitaled to his opinion as I am intitaled to mine.

My correspondence with him has always been cordial, or else a debate of principles.

Either way, good luck to him and good luck to the rest of you... maybe now some of us can log a FTF!!!

Just my 6 cents worth

Edited by avroair

A guy gets banned so he moves his caches to another listing site and you want to pop him for it?? :rolleyes: Go wrestle with Sasquatch tough guy.

It has nothing to do with where he lists his caches, it has to do with an encounter with him a few months ago where he proved what a full-of-himself jerk he was - well, still is.