New Challenge For Seasider?

Cushag

On the Isle of Man, 35 miles long by 13 miles wide we now have 16 traditional caches, 1 Virtual cache and 1 x 16 part (Man Hunt) cache. Fly over or come by Ferry in the morning, whizz around, do all caches and back to UK in the evening. I live on the island but have wondered if all caches could be done in a day. Good challenge for Seasider but he could be beaten! Any one for the dare?

;)

I'm sure pyoung1s could easily manage it during one of his 24 hour sessions but not in the 8/9 hours or so that a return plane flight would allow! :o

And I'm not sure a 16 part multi will get many takers how ever long you have! ;)

Cheers!

Seasider (retired)

Thanks for replying Seasider. I just thought that when you've done all the caches in UK you could come over and log ours. Some of the views from the caches are superb. At a guess I reckon that it may be a possibilty on a Motorbike in a day, here's hoping someone might try it TT week. The 16 parter I have been doing very slowly on available days off. Only got to Part 5 so far. I can assure anyone that you do need to visit the places to get the next co-ords, despite having a fair knowledge of the island's heritage. A great way to get to know the places here. I'm over to UK next week for a few days so looking foward to caching out and about.

The Isle is certainly on my list especially as we stare at each other across the Irish sea and a plane flight from Blackpool to Douglas must be about the shortest scheduled flight in Europe!!

I think they could all be done in a full day and I'm sure that Pyoung1s will prove it during TT week! :)

Cheers!

Seasider

What do you class as a full day? I think that one would be pushed to complete in a day. Even with a motorcycle and the stamina and fittbess of a marthon runner may not be enough! :lol::lol:

Well, Pyoung1s has been known to cache for a full 24 hours including some pretty tough hill caches which he ran up (ex military man!!) - so I think he might fit your description!!

Memory Map (OS mapping software) includes the IOM so let me download some waypoints and examine what is required - if it's less than say 15 miles total walking and 1500ft total climbing then in a 6am - 9pm day I might be willing to have a crack! I don't see the driving as a problem - your roads can't be worse than North Yorkshire!! :lol::lol:

I'll report back later!

Cheers!

Seasider

With the addition of Man Hunt (which takes at least 5 hours), the IOM caches are no longer collectible in a day (now there's a challenge!) - although you might get the others in that time. I'd estimate at least a full weekend for "normal" people to find the lot, although the superhuman might just do it in 24 hours.

You'd better get in there soon to stand a chance, though, as there is a very difficult one in the pipeline, which will have most geocache hunters snookered before they start!

Seasider,

Does this spark of interest in the IOM caches mean you're back out of retirement? I happen to be staying at a place on the Haltwhistle Burn next Sunday and notice that you were there last month, so you haven't been retired long!

I'm not sure a 16 part multi will get many takers how ever long you have!

Hmm, you have to realise that once the caches here have been collected by a Manx resident, there's not always the immediate opportunity to get a few more as there's a small matter of the Irish Sea to cross. So a couple of caches which take some time should be welcome news for the community here. Perhaps not so welcome on a UK "cache and grab" raid, but more suited to the "traa di looar" (time enough) approach of the Manx!

The newcomer will get a fine tour of the island on this hunt, in any case.

Watch out for the next new cache, time is running out...

HH

Edited by Happy_Humphrey

Ok, I'll accept the challenge!! :o

I'll come across either the last week of April or the first week of May!

I'll come over on the ferry (or fly) the evening before, stay over, do as many as I can the following day (including the big multi) and go back on day 3.

Game on!

Cheers!

Seasider

Thanks Happy Humphrey for supporting the Seasider Challange. I have a friend coming over in May to have a go at Man Hunt. I have only done part of it so far. Get the new one out please and add to the fun. I am in UK at the moment dragging the Grandkids along on geocache hunts. We did the Stamford Taurus the other day, an excellant day out with a history learning curve included.

Good luck Seasider, will await your success.

Cushag,

There will be a slight delay with the new one as I'm walking through the Cheviots and Pennines for a few days from Friday. I'll have my GPS and PDA with me and try and log a few caches.

I'll try and get the new cache(s) in place by the time of Seasider's visit as I'm sure he'd enjoy a "first" (unless someone gets it before he comes across!). I've had to do a bit of work getting it right, and it's almost complete (no, it's not another Man Hunt!).

I'm glad you're enjoying Man Hunt - it was my first cache placement so I was relieved that Yessir managed to get round it without too much trouble.

HH

Let me know if you want accommodation, as I know someone in Port St.Mary who has a very good B&B. Or book yourself if you prefer.

HH

Thanks for info re B&B - will probably be starting the day's caching in the Port St Mary area so I might take you up on the offer. :D

So who fancies meeting up for a pint or two of Bushy's or Okells' or other local brew on the evening of my arrival?! :lol:

Information sources tell me there is a freehouse down by the harbour in Port St Mary! :D

I'm really looking forward to my Manx Mission - it has been a quarter of a century since I was last on the island and that is too long a gap.

Right, I'm off round Manchester examining pub interiors for CAMRA - it's a tough job but someone has to do it!! :D

Cheers!

Seasider

Just back from a travelling holiday in UK. Managed to do 14 caches in various parts of England. Please email me too re: meeting up for a pint. No questions for clues though please!

Excellent!

With Humphrey in Italy the first week of May I'm now looking at the second week in May. Does that fit in with both your diaries?

Cheers!

Seasider

Thats not a bad price Seasider. Wait till the Summer £200 plus! Foot Passenger is about £38 return and as you live where you do you could give it a thought and bring a bike! Now you know why we have set up caches here to save our caching instincts from waning. Just finished and logged Man Hunt today. Is Pyoung1 coming over for the TT?

Seasider,

It's disappointing that you won't be able to come across - did you check Emerald Airways as well (lots of flights at £70 return including taxes from Liverpool)? I might be able to suggest cheap options on transport and accommodation if you want to email - or perhaps you're going to be too busy maintaining all those new caches!

HH

Errr....I think I'll pass on your kind invitation to come to the IOM - ferry ticket is £160!! :mad:

I like caching but not that much! B)

Cheers!

Seasider

What about canoeing over? It'd certainly up the difficulty rating a bit B)

Seasider,

It's disappointing that you won't be able to come across - did you check Emerald Airways as well (lots of flights at £70 return including taxes from Liverpool)? I might be able to suggest cheap options on transport and accommodation if you want to email - or perhaps you're going to be too busy maintaining all those new caches!

HH

The problem with flying and then car hire is that it works out slightly more than the ferry! :mad:

However, thanks to the hospitality of Cushag and the rally driving skills of Nibbo, the Manx Mission looks to be on!! B)B)

I'll be flying from Blackpool and instead of hiring a car, Nibbo has offered to join me on the Manx Mission and do the driving - the mad fool!!! B):mad::mad:

Cushag has offered to put me up (or put up with me!) for a couple of days and lives right next to Ronaldsway so that's the accommodation side sorted! ;);)

We just need to agree dates and then the Manx Mission is ON!!

Cheers!

Seasider

Seasider,

Good news - well arranged by Cushag.

If Nibbo or Cushag won't mind driving you down to Port Erin you'll be able to try the newly-crowned Manx CAMRA Pub of the Year (the Bay: which happens to be Humphrey's local). If we can get you fuddled enough you might find the challenge just a bit too much! We'll all have to meet up anyway - perhaps Elvis The Trog and the other IOM cachemeisters will be persuaded to drop in as well.

I hope Nibbo will be carefully briefed to stay in the car and give no clues when he's taking you to the caches he knows...

HH

If Nibbo or Cushag won't mind driving you down to Port Erin you'll be able to try the newly-crowned Manx CAMRA Pub of the Year (the Bay: which happens to be Humphrey's local). If we can get you fuddled enough you might find the challenge just a bit too much! We'll all have to meet up anyway - perhaps Elvis The Trog and the other IOM cachemeisters will be persuaded to drop in as well.

Excellent!!

The more the merrier!!

Perhaps we should post an event cache?!! :D:D

I think The Bay is the pub which my information sources tipped me off about! :D

Is it a large pink coloured building on the prom?!

And serves the full range of Bushy's beers plus guests and a good range of strong Belgian ales?!! :D:DB):lol:

I'm glad Nibbo will be doing the driving the following morning!! :D :D :D

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
This is great news, it'll keep him away from the trigpoints for a little while  :(

Seriously though, good luck on the Manx Mission

Cheers!! :D

Plane is now booked .... arrive Tue 25th evening and go back Thur 27th evening.

Really looking forward to it and already discussing general strategy and of course Man Hunt with NIBBO - we have a plan!! :D:D:D

Cheers!

Seasider

Possibly we could make the Wednesday evening an Event Cache in The Bay? How many people would we need to make this worthwhile? Or perhaps Tuesday as Seasider may want to soothe his aching feet by the end of Wednesday... :(

Tuesday would be best because Cushag would not be able to make a Wednesday event due to work commitments (If i've understood things correctly!).

I think it should be an event cache and I'm sure Ecky or Laccy would approve it!! :(:(

But I'm certainly up for celebratory drinks on the Weds as well if anyone else was interested but I suspect NIBBO would have done enough driving that day so you would have to come to Castletown (or I could get a taxi/bus)!! :(

Cheers!

Seasider

It all sounds fine by me: if no-one objects then it's an event cache at The Bay in Port Erin on Tuesday 25th May. They do great food there too, if you're interested. Seasider - I guess you're due to arrive at 5 to 5, so you should be able to get to PE at any time in the evening. Nibbo / Cushag - is this all OK with you? We can meet again in Castletown on Wednesday. Do you want me to post the cache - it would be nice to recruit a couple of the others here (who are probably totally unaware of this whole thing...)

HH

Pub meal will be OK with us, at Port Erin. Wednesday evening meet will also be all right, as it will be within 15mins of College if necessary.

Venue, will it be The Viking, Cluepot or George Hotel? Will leave it to HH's knowledgeof the local watering holes.

NIBBO :(