Distribution Of Cachers

Is it safe to assume the the geographical distribution of GeoCachers roughly matches the distribution of caches around the UK ?

I was thinking after reading posts about the Sussex cachers meet up, I was thinking it would be nice here in the west country, but, if there aren't many cachers it won't be a very big bash !!

But if cacher meets turn out to be like any other kind of similar gathering, they tend to start out small and grow from there.

Pick a location (pub, coffee shop, whatever) and a regular time (first Saturday of the month, every wednesday evening) and advertise it. The first coupel of time you may be on your own (take a good book!) but you'll be suprised how people come out of the woodwork. And if it's well publisied you may find visiting cachers making plans to be in the area to coincide with a meet.

- Neil.

If you would like to arrange a west country meet I could drop in on my way from Manchester to Southampton! I could pick up some travel bugs from North Yorkshire enroute and bring them down!

Pyoung1s - if you're heading down to the West Country and would like to pick up a TB from N Yorks, there's Bozzie TB in the A1/M62 Bug Hotel (GCA528) cache wanting to go that way. He belongs to Molyball's wife and is heading to Cornwall. We left him there just over a week ago and I just checked that he's still there, waiting to move on.

When say 'West Country' I was actually meaning 'Gloucestershire' I can't imagine Devon and Cornwall cachers would want to travel that far !!

I think I'll look around for the 'SouthWest' (meaning Devon and Cornwall) meet-ups and see if I can convince the Wife !! :D

I could just take the plunge and organise one :wub:

Anyone willing to travel for a day out in the Forest of Dean ??

Moonherb, you're right about the cache distribution reflecting the cacher population, the West Country has been slower at developing than many other areas (despite some peoples' best efforts at placing caches :o ).

An event over this way would be good. Some folks will travel a long way for a beer sorry meeting.

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned that we're in Chippenham (M4 J17).

Edited by The Wombles
When say 'West Country' I was actually meaning 'Gloucestershire' I can't imagine Devon and Cornwall cachers would want to travel that far !!

I think I'll look around for the 'SouthWest' (meaning Devon and Cornwall) meet-ups and see if I can convince the Wife !! :o

I could just take the plunge and organise one ;)

Anyone willing to travel for a day out in the Forest of Dean ??

Possibly too far to travel.... but it depends on the event of course ;). I travelled a 250 mile round trip the weekend before last for a cache... so it is possible :P

I've not done any caches in that part of the world so I might be tempted to come out of retirement to have a tour which culminated in a meet!  :o

I knew the retirement would not last long ;) ;) ;)

Maybe we should do a directory of active cachers :P (the tupperware pages) :o

Edited by Deego

Sometimes holding a meet will encourage people to come out of the wood work. We started our group a little over a year ago with 15 or 20 and have over 100 members now. It seems some people are more willing to get involved in an activity if they know thier neighbors are involved.

I must admit I've never noticed the 'buddy' link before ! I don't know what it does !

I guess there are a fair number of cachers who never travel further than geocaching.com, not that I see that's a problem. I have the benefit of using a computer for work (web development) so I'm always online (via a 2Mb pipe !). I rarely switch the computer at home on !

Possibly the best way to advertise a meet is to set up a travelling cache (is this possible) that can only be logged at a social meet. Maybe it could be called the 'SW social Cache' or something similar ? That way more people would get to see it. Once people have met up once I suspect the second meetup would be a little easier to arrange.

Obviously the best way to meet people is to run an event with event caches and the like. Maybe this would be a possibility but it's not something I'd even think of doing alone !

Any Ideas ??