Re-hiding caches

HartClimbs

I have a newbie question (that's probably been answered a dozen times already) that I didn't see listed.

How difficult should you make it for the next geocacher when re-hiding a cache you've found?

I'm very new to geocaching and some of the caches I've found have been VERY obvious (sometimes not even covered) - others VERY well hidden. I've always tried to leave the caches well hidden (even scattering the brush around them and ensuring they're not visible) but thought I'd ask for some more experienced opinions.

It occurred to me today that some folks may INTENTIONALLY make their caches easier to help newbies (such as myself) along.

Am I wrong to always leave a cache very well hidden so the next person can't easily find it? (even if it was very visible when I came across it?).

Any guidance appreciated.

- Hart icon_confused.gif

I say you should rehide the cache as you found it - unless:

It is obvious that the cache was previously concealed better (ie there is evidence that it was covered by nearby debris or other cover and the last cacher didn't hide it as well. This is a judgement call on your part

It looks like it was moved by an animal or trashed someway.

It was so easy to find that it is in danger of being discovered and trashed by kids.

I always take careful note of how the cache was placed and covered befor I pick it up.

$1000 Bill

Good question.

Our rule is to replace it exactly where we found it. If it seems that it may have been moved from the original location, we note that in the log.

Although we put a cache back where we found it, we do try to conceal it as best we can, often with a light dusting of leaves over it, and brushing away any scuff marks we may have left in the area. This is consistent with the "leave no traces" philosophy.

...I always put it back exactly WHERE I find it, it was more a question of how well to hide it. For example, some caches I've come across can be seen from a dozen yards away - I'd been ensuring they were at least obscured by brush when I left so the next person would actually have to hunt.

No question about not relocating it - just whether to leave them visible or not.....

Thanks!

I think it appropriate to let the cache owner know what was done in several situations:

If it was not hidden as well as I thought it should be.

If I changed the way it was hidden.

If I felt it was moved from the original spot.

If the hiding did not match the clues.

Sometimes I let them know via direct email. Sometimes just in my post.

If I am ragging on them a little I do that in private.

I think it's a case of "What's the lesser of two evils?"

I'd rather the next finder have to search for it, and even potentially log a "not found" than have someone happen upon it and trash it.

The reason the cache might be out in the open could be as simple as the adult told the child to put it back, and the child didn't want the next person to have to search so long. My children do that. I always have to rehide the caches. If I didn't, they would all be visible, thanks to my "helpful" kids.

So, I'd suggest that you err on the side of making the cache invisible to potential plunderers. That way, if the cache does get plundered, at least you won't have to wonder if you should have done something different.

Shannah

You can use the difficulty rating as a guideline. If you find a cache witha 2 star rating, and it was sitting out in the open, then it's safe to assume that that isn't what the owner intended.

Another thing is to use your judgement. If the cache is in a high traffic area and is exposed, it's probably unlikely that is the way the owner hid it. In this situation, I'd certainly try to hide it better than I found it.

I don't know why some geocachers leave caches exposed, but it seems to be a common practice (maybe those of you who do this can answer). Perhaps they think they are doing the next finder a favor. They really aren't and could be doing a disservice by increasing the chance of accidential finds and plundering.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I've always felt that you should hide the cache better then you found it. You are not doing anyone a favor when you do not hide it well. I recently had one of my caches plundered because one of the people that found it did not hide it as well as they should. By no means should you move the cache, but you certainly can hide it as well as you can at the original location.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!