Park Caches

Ex nihil

The geocacher code of practice dictates that caches should not be placed in National Parks although if you upload the Australian caches to DiscoverAus you will see that there are several there already. I wonder if anyone has explored Australian National Parks or State & Territory Parks on policy? I feel that there is actually some potential benefit to the parks provided that:

the parks administration approve the location first;

they are next to existing tracks;

they have some educational value

caching is coupled with cache in trash out.

Unless someone has done this exercise it may be worthwhile pursuing.

In NSW they have been outlawed (is that the right term?) by the governing body and it's actually posted on thier website specifically banning geocaching and why. Yet here in WA they haven't any specific policy on caches in National parks and one park actually has the rangers log in it and if you go there they give you a rough idea where it is (if asked).

As for my opinion .... if it is to be placed in a national park the rangers should be contacted first and permission granted before it is approved IMHO. If it is discovered by accident (case in point similar topic) more damage may be done to our sport and we need a squeaky clean reputation so we're all able to continue without raising public alarm or upsetting govt' departments.

TLC