60c(s) Geocaching Faq

TFTC

I have a 60cs, MapSource w/NACS v5, USB and a WAP-capable cell phone. I use pocket queries to get nearby caches, GSAK to put them in MapSource to transfer via USB. The cache data is a bit limited, but with the cell phone I can get all that anyway. So far, so good and they all do the trick for paperless caching. There seem to be enough 60c(s)'s out now that I was wondering if there is a 60c(s) Geocaching FAQ on someone's site yet?

If not, here's my first question: Is there a smooth way to transition from "on-road" to "off-road"? I've set my Setup/Routing/Guidance method to "Prompted" so that when I do my initial "Find/Geocache", select the one I want and click "Go To", it prompts me for "Follow Road" or "Off Road" - I pick "Follow Road" to get me to the cache location. Then I do another "Find/Find", pick the cache again, select "Go To" and this time choose "Off Road" at the prompt. Is there a better way? It's too bad the compass arrow doesn't show up in "Follow Road" mode.

Thanks for any useful hints!

If not, here's my first question: Is there a smooth way to transition from "on-road" to "off-road"? I've set my Setup/Routing/Guidance method to "Prompted" so that when I do my initial "Find/Geocache", select the one I want and click "Go To", it prompts me for "Follow Road" or "Off Road" - I pick "Follow Road" to get me to the cache location. Then I do another "Find/Find", pick the cache again, select "Go To" and this time choose "Off Road" at the prompt. Is there a better way? It's too bad the compass arrow doesn't show up in "Follow Road" mode.

Thanks for any useful hints!

They should make it easier to transition to offroad, I concur!

I used my new 60cs for the first time this weekend out geocaching. I used the same method five_user described. I have the routing preference set to "Prompted". When I first tell it to "FIND" a cache I pick "Follow Roads" and when I park the car and head out I do a "MENU", "Recalculate" and pick "Off Road" to get the compass screen.

It's not too cumbersome a method, but it would have been nice if there were less steps.

Edited by Team Trout
It's not too cumbersome a method, but it would have been nice if there were less steps.

It would be cool if at the point you left the road, it would prompt you with the option to switch to off-road, or do it automatically via a preference setting.

--Marky

When viewing the map screen, is there any way to get it to temporarily make north up?  I find it incredibly challenging to remember my planned route without being able to do this.

Yeah, I wish they had a "North-up/Track-up" toggle menu item on the map page. You can choose "Map Setup", but it takes a few key strokes to change the setting.

Note that the satellite page does have a "North-up/Track-up" toggle menu item, but it only impacts the satellite page.

On the Map Setup screen, you can set the Orientation to always be North Up, or you can set it to Track Up below a certain zoom level. I set mine to 8 miles. Below that, it shows in Track Up mode. When I zoom out to see the big picture, it automatically switches to North Up. Not exactly what you're asking for, but maybe it will work for you to just adjust that threshold a little.

On the Map Setup screen, you can set the Orientation to always be North Up, or you can set it to Track Up below a certain zoom level. I set mine to 8 miles. Below that, it shows in Track Up mode.

Another great suggestion! Playing around a little, I settled (for now) on the following settings:

Setup/Map/General/Orientation: Track Up

Setup/Map/General/Below: 3mi

Setup/Map/Points/User Waypoints: 1.2mi

This setup works great because the map was getting a little cluttered with geocaches when I'd zoom out (in San Diego which is a bit crowded -- even with geocaches!). <-- ok, i know! i just need to FIND them all! :o

It would be nice to have a simple way to filter out waypoints on the map by icon (e.g don't show geocaches when not geocaching).

Edited by ahimsa

It's cool how the display switches to night view at night - I haven't checked yet to see if it happens at 6pm every night (that's what time it switched today) or sunset.

But one setting that would be nice would be a toggle to set the backlight to only go on automatically at night. (you could tap the power button if you need it in a dark spot during the day).

My question is why do you ever have the GPS set to Follow road? What is the advantage? On my Vista it never changed where the track was only the distances. (It made it really tough to find roadside caches because the gps was always stuck on the road.) I turned follow road off and never went back to it.

My question is why do you ever have the GPS set to Follow road? What is the advantage? On my Vista it never changed where the track was only the distances. (It made it really tough to find roadside caches because the gps was always stuck on the road.) I turned follow road off and never went back to it.

The feature on your Vista is different that what they're talking about. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're talking about the "Lock on road" feature. They're talking about the auto-routing capabilities of the 60c/s, where the GPSr actually generates a turn-by-turn route to get you from A to B.

It switches to night/day mode based on sunset/sunrise. I was going down the road glanced at the GPSr in day mode - then noticed the beautiful sunset - glanced back down at the GPSr in night mode. Pretty Cool! :D

The new firmware apparently lets you pick different color schemes for night and day mode now!

It switches to night/day mode based on sunset/sunrise.  I was going down the road glanced at the GPSr in day mode - then noticed the beautiful sunset - glanced back down at the GPSr in night mode.  Pretty Cool!  :rolleyes:

The new firmware apparently lets you pick different color schemes for night and day mode now!

You could choose color schemes with the old firmware, too... <_<

It switches to night/day mode based on sunset/sunrise.  I was going down the road glanced at the GPSr in day mode - then noticed the beautiful sunset - glanced back down at the GPSr in night mode.  Pretty Cool!  :rolleyes:

You could choose color schemes with the old firmware, too... <_<

Oh, that's odd - I only mentioned that because of this at the garmin firmware download page:

Change History

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:

* Added Marine Colors option to the map setup for displaying BlueCharts similar to MapSource.

* Moved the Day/Night display mode from the map setup to the display setup. It still modifies map colors, but separate color-scheme selections have been added for day and night modes.

<snip>