Legend Or Visa?

storm1

i'm considering the legend but was wondering what the advantages of the vista would have over the legend?

i think the legend will have plenty of room for any additional maps that i would want so the extra memory doesn't seem to be important to me.

the vista's compass doesn't do it for me.

the only thing that i think i might like would be the altimeter. can you see your track history on the altimeter screen to see how steep the climb was? can these screens be uploaded to you pc?

can someone post some sreen shots of the altimeter or direct to some?

any other benefits of the vista that i may not be aware of?

I was wondering the same thing when I bought my GPS. The Legend or the Vista. I decided on the legend and haven't regretted it one bit. I've used it to find almost 60 caches plus it goes with me almost everywhere I go. I hope this helps with your choice.

The main reason I got rid of my Legend to get a Vista was because of the memory difference for detailed mapping. I love the size of the little etrex line for a backup GPS. I use other full size GPS's when caching,hiking,camping or just going on trips for work or pleasure. If your using the unit for hiking or camping I say get the Legend and save money, but if your going to use it for travel on the roads get the Vista. Pay now the extra for the Vista and dont worry in the future if you decide to make the GPS a multipurpose GPS for other needs such as travels where extra memory is wanted. One other word of Note about the Etrex line is that in tree cover they will lose signal easily because of their small internal antenna. I also doubt that you will care much for the live compass (2 axis) on the Vista.

I own the Vista. If I only used my GPS for geocaching, or short trips, I would say the Legend is quite good enough.

As a backpacker who occasionally takes long treks the altimeter and electronic compass are very nice to have. In geocaching I don't think I have ever used either although I suppose some probably do.

The memory should be fine with the Legend. With my vista I can load far more area than I could ever cover in a day so I would assume the Legend with 1/3 of the memory would be plenty unless you're going cross country. - JamesJM

I also owned a Legend, and quickly upgraded up to the Vista. The amount of memory was the reason. In addition to loading larger areas for navigation on roadtrips, you can also load multiple maps for the same area (eg. Metroguide & Topo) and toggle between the different maps. This quickly eats up memory. It also takes a while to transfer maps to the GPS, and the additional memory reduces the number of times that you have to perform the process.

I don't use the compass much, in fact I turn it off to conserve battery life. The altimeter is not very reliable unless you calibrate it each time you start out. Instead, I download tracks to DeLorme's Topo 4.0 and print out nice maps with elevation profiles of the tracks. The Mapsource software does not offer much flexibility in the print function. I have downloaded the new beta version, perhaps it has some print improvements.

--Al P

Tallahassee, FL

I am also looking to replace my current GPS Unit, the Magellan Meridian GPS. I jsut dont' liek the size and how it fits in my hands. I was trying to picka new one but having a hard time choosing. The Garmin website claims that these eTrex line do well in dense forest. Is this claim bogus? A lot of memory isn't that important to me, I think the 8 mb will be fine since I don't travel much outside my home state. I noticed the Vista isn't compatable with PC, which is a downside for me cause I like to connect to my computer and upload waypoitns and download etc... also I heard hte garmins have custom icons you can upload? Anymore info you can give me about these products.? Seems the only reason to upgrade from reading here to the vista is the memory and altimeters.

The additional memory for maps is the biggest advantage of the Vista over the Legend. You may think you have all the map memory you would ever want with the Legend but the Vista will hold 3 times more and I'm using every bit of it. I'd have to delete/load different mapsets whenever I wanted to travel very far from home with a Legend but I've got it all in there permanently with the Vista.

I agree. If mapping is possibly an important option to you, then more is better! There never seems to be enough. 8MB is good for loading Topo maps for local caching, but if you get a taste of MetroGuide maps (which I seem to have a voracious appetite for), then 8MB is a very limited amount! 8MB is not enough to fit all of MetroGuide's Washington, DC. If you want to go on a road trip with MetroGuide, you'd better go with the Vista! Better yet, consider a GPSmap 60C/S.

Also, the Vista features an application called "Jumpmaster". It's an application for advanced skydivers to plan their jumps based on winds, altitude and other factors. The 60s don't even have this program.

Just my 2¢

You will be able to track your altitude (i'm almost positive on this) either way. You will be able to upload your track to your computer with the Legend, and probably depending on the software, it will show your altitude where you were. If you really don't care about the memory, or the compass, the Legend will do great. MANY people use and love them.

I have a Meridian Gold, and I love it. I don't miss a compass at all on it. Can't comment on the limited memory part! :o

Also, the Vista is compatible with a computer.