Help with connecting etrex to PC

T&J Gagnon

Hello, I have an etrex venture, cannot get it to communicate with my pc. I called Garmin, they ran me through all the normal steps, checking com settings, etc. When I set the serial data format to NMEA IN/NMEA Out, and use hyper terminal, I get info from the GPS, but when trying to use easygps or updater from Garmin (with the serial data format set to Garmin), they both tell me there is no data received from teh GPS. I was hoping someone here had run into this problem. MY PC is an HP desktop, a few months old, and I am running windows XP.

thanks,

Tony

I too have had a loose connection at the etrex plug. The pins don't always make a good bite. Clean them on both the etrex and the plug and look them over to be sure they are going to make contact with some pressure.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

To what program on your PC are you trying to get it to communicate to? If you get it to talk to hyperterm, then it *is* probably taking to your pc. If you can advise what softare is offending, then someone may know those settings that will help. I use easyGPS and Delorme's street atlas with my Garm48. Both programs communicate great (when configged right icon_rolleyes.gif )