Benchmarking Swag

bons

There is an interesting mark in my area that used to be the locaction for a now archived Virtual cache. I'm hoping to adopt/replace that archived virtual with a traditional dedicated to benchmarking. What I'm having a difficult time doing is finding some good swag to start it off with.

So far I have Mountainclimb benchmarks and maybe 2004 nickles celebrating the Corps of Discovery. What kind of swag would you suggest for benchmarkers both new and experienced?

What kind of swag would you suggest for benchmarkers both new and experienced?
  • Cans of compressed air
  • Small marker flags
  • Surveyor's tape
  • Cheap, lint-free rags
  • Plastic tent pegs
  • Soft toothbrushes (or slightly larger soft-bristled brushes)

*added items

Edited by gnbrotz

Combined with surveyor's tape, they make an alternate marker when marking a site.

I don't leave any trace behind, but particularly with triangulation stations, may use markers to lay out possible locations and make them more visible from a distance while conducting my search.

Edited by gnbrotz
BRASSO !!!!!!!!!!

To clean off those really 'petina' covered jobs.

Noooooo! I like those patina-covered dics :o Although, I must admit that some of them *are* pretty grungy, but I don't know that Brasso will do the job on them.

Put some toothbrushes in there; those are about as all-around useful a small tool as there is. Maybe a couple of small trowels, too. I like the crayons (or colored pencils) and tracing paper idea. I don't do rubbings (my digital camera is my tool-of-choice for recording them), but for those who do, that would be a great prize.

BRASSO !!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that grungy patina - surface oxidation, really - helps protect the disk. I have seen disks that are beautifully Brasso'd, and while they may be gorgeous, it definitely does not enhance their longevity. A well-meaning building maintenance person might shine up a disk located on a building, but it's not something we should do out in the field, IMHO.

This has been the subject of prior threads. Might be worthwhile to search the archives.

-ArtMan-

BRASSO !!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that grungy patina - surface oxidation, really - helps protect the disk. I have seen disks that are beautifully Brasso'd, and while they may be gorgeous, it definitely does not enhance their longevity. A well-meaning building maintenance person might shine up a disk located on a building, but it's not something we should do out in the field,

Yes. Your point is well taken. The Statue of Liberty is well known for its patina protection.

But the benchmarks I am finding are worn, broken and abused.

The arguement MIGHT be made (at the risk of a firestorm here) that some polish and care is better than none.

At any rate, it was my suggestion only, and should be taken as such.