Custom Geocache Containers

Now that Geocaching is growing into a big enough activity to warrant a "Complete Idiots Guide" book devoted to it, I think it's time someone started manufacturing specially designed Geocaching containers.

* Tupperware containers are too fragile. They tend to last about a year before they start to crack and fall apart, littering the environment with bits of plastic.

* Ammo cans are not transparent, and being ammo cans are likely to cause concern if discovered by a non-cacher. Plus, depending on where you buy them, they can be expensive.

* Glass jars are no good, for obvious reasons.

If someone was to make inexpensive containers that came pre-printed with Geocaching info on them, plus a place to write your contact info and the name of the cache, I think they'd sell like hotcakes. Design them with a place to hold pencils/pens, a slot for the logbook, etc.

What else could they have that would make them better than just picking up a Tupperware container?

What else could they have that would make them better than just picking up a Tupperware container?

They could be long and thin, like a giant tart or something. The lids could come pre-camoflouged (with different lids for forest, desert, and other enviorments). Ooh! Ooh! Maybe they could even be bendable so you could squish them in really tight slots (not like a Ziploc bag is bendable, like a piece of Tupperware-like plastic that's bendable).

I like the idea with the slots for pencils, pens, logbook, etc. That would be pretty cool.

Check eBay. On occasion there's been some very original containers listed.

Unless you have containers on ebay you are way tooo modest.

Folks, the coooolest cache container I own is a 9key original. Camo, geocaching stencil and fake fur interior. It's a piece of work. I wish I could post a picture of it.

Sn :blink::D gans

I have some out that have been in place as far back as July 2002. All of the ones that I have placed also are in places that receive winter snows.

The containers I use I bought at places like Target or K-mart. They are (I beleive the size is 2 qt) containers, plastic, with screw on lids.

They have survived in the wild, plus they are see through.

You know this brings up a good point, I'm surprised that no trendy, internet saavy geocachers have set up an online store selling geocaching essentials (not just t-shirts)

stuff like tupperware, ammo cans, pens, pencils, notebooks for logbooks..

stuff that's a bit more in demand then stuff the gc store sells

I'll stick with ammo cans. They are cheap (usually under $4), durable, waterproof, animal resistant and easily painted in a camo that will match its surroundings. Properly hidden, clearly labeled and with the military markings painted over they are no more likely than Tupperware to cause alarm. We have to remember that the first cache ever blown up by a bomb squad was clear Tupperware and about half the caches since that have attracted the authorities were not ammo boxes.

The only down side of ammo boxes is their fairly large size makes them harder to hide well and some parks require clear containers (stupid rule. If someone is bent on no good, a clear container isn't goint to stop them). Where ammo boxes are not appropriate, Lock 'n- Lock containers work quite well.

Peanut butter jars with a rubber o-ring added under the lid.

If you want, I'll sell you my collection for $5 each.  They are pre-eaten and washed.  The pre-eating is worth $3 alone.

I use the jars without o rings, and not a drop of water has gotten in in the 6 months they have been out in the AZ desert

I use'em without an o-ring and mine actually get rained on. Trick is to have them slightly elevated and a way to make them stand up.

Been working for well over a year.

You know this brings up a good point, I'm surprised that no trendy, internet saavy geocachers have set up an online store selling geocaching essentials (not just t-shirts)

stuff like tupperware, ammo cans, pens, pencils, notebooks for logbooks..

stuff that's a bit more in demand then stuff the gc store sells

Check the link in my siggy. I've got a few things. Thought about offering ammo cans, too. Could do it cheaper than cheaper than dirt, but my guy is very hard to get hold of so I haven't been able to work anything out.

Got bison tubes that will be going up soon, too. And custom rubber stamps.

Logbooks, pencils, pens, etc. it's just too easy to get those locally. Some items would cost more to ship than what the unit costs!

In short, some things you can sell over the internet, but others just wouldn't go.

I've been using Coleman thermoses lately. I figure anything designed to keep liquids in will keep them out as well. I get them for a couple of bucks in thrift stores like Goodwill and Value Village, and then I duct tape the spout so it stays closed. They come on a variety of colors and sizes, from quarts to gallons and bigger. I like the half gallon size, in green or black.

They have the added advantage that when you head into a park with one tucked under your arm, nobody gives it a second thought. And I doubt that anyone would find them suspicious. If they see it in the woods, they'll just think somebody dropped their thermos, maybe pick it up and look at it, open it, learn about caching, and it wouldn't likey occur to them that it could be anything nefarious.

* Tupperware containers are too fragile. They tend to last about a year before they start to crack and fall apart, littering the environment with bits of plastic.

* Ammo cans are not transparent, and being ammo cans are likely to cause concern if discovered by a non-cacher. Plus, depending on where you buy them, they can be expensive.

* Glass jars are no good, for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you want an Otterbox.