A One Time Cache ?

lewcrew

How do you think a one time cache would go over ?

example : when our family camps, me or my wife go out ane morning and place 4 -5 caches, like cool little toys or or somthing for our kids. then we later that day we let the kids find them. when they find them they take them and there is nothing left behind.

in theory I or you would hide a cache and list it as a one time cache or OTC

when found its over. no maintenence, upkeep or anything and the prize could be of more "value".

any ideas?

Thanks

LewCrew

I do not believe it will go over well.

From the guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons.  Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

You can do that, but don't list it on the site...

True. A lot of people solve the problem my listing the cache on their local cache organization web site. Some good temporary caches have been done this way.

You're right. Listing it that way makes it better for everyone.

But his example just has it within his own family. So there would be no need, or desire, to list it anywhere but on a note that he would hand to the kids. It would be sort of like a high-tech Easter egg hunt.

Another thought: Even if the gc.com would list them, it would take awhile to be approved. Do you want the kids spending the day sitting around the computer waiting for the listing to come up? And why would you be hooked up to the internet while camping anyway?

Actually I think the mention of what he does with his kids was to help explain the idea he got for a cache for those outside his family.

These types of caches (Prize caches as some call them) are actually popular in some areas. Was not aware they were not allowing them here.

:wub: I THINK THERE IS A ONE TIME ONLY CACHE IN ALASKA. SOMETHING A BOUT A FTF BRINGS THE WHOLE THING HOME. I SAW IT IN A "MOST DIFFICULT" TOPIC HERE SOMEWHERE. YOU HAVE TO CHARTER A PLANE, AND A GUIDE ALONG WITH A BOAT I THINK. :D SOUNDS LIKE FUN. IT CALLED "THE TOOTHY THE TRAVEL BUG CACHE". Edited by C.A.K.E. UNIT