Private Property Issue

UncleRMC

I placed this cache during the past couple of days. The property is large and there are many ways to get onto it where you would never see a no tresspassing sign or a fence. It is obvious that the neigborhood kids frequent the mine. amoung others.

There is however one area where there is a 10' fence and a no tresspassing sign.

I did not see it when I placed the cache, but another cacher brought it to my attention. I went back and it is there.

I have no intention of contacting the owner of the property. Do I leave the cache and the note from the other cacher and leave to individual cachers to decide if they wish to do this one.....or do I just archive it?

After reading this thread I think my cache was a bad idea and I will be archiving it.

Thanks for your replies.

By the logic of that thread all caches are bad because even with permission someone could find it and call the police about a suspicouse object and the police may call the bomb squad and so on.

All you need is permission. The county assessors office can tell you who owns the land and a quick call (and some diplomacy) may get you permission. If not you can archive the cache.

I agree with Renegade Knight. Quite often owners of private property when asked will allow a cache to be placed. Don't ask, and when they find it....well I think it would be obvious.

I also generally recommend that any cache that is on private property should clearly state this within the cache listing and that 'permission has been granted by the land owner'. This prevents suprises to those looking who may see a posted sign and after a long trip out and turn around and go home without attempting the search.

I've found several caches on private property.. on 3 of them I met the property owners. They were all very pleased that i found "that box". I've inquired to get permission from 2 diff people on possibly putting a cashe out on thier land.. one has agreed another will get back to me. Just ask .. the worst they can do is say no.

UncleRMC, While I do love finding your caches and the historical significance of them, this one was clearly marked with the No Trespassing signs. I drove by it Friday and pulled over on the main road. I started to take a pic of the sign and email you, but I did that last week for another cache and didn’t want to seem like I was the GEO-Police or something. Keep drinking lots of coffee, you are placing more caches in the area than anyone else, and most (including this one except for the PP issue) are great places to visit. Etrex Pirate

i have recently placed a successful cache on private corporate property that also falls under the jusrisdiction of the dep't of fish & wildlife.

i thought they MIGHT give permission, but the really head-pinning thing was that they got all the permissions through in ONE DAY.

weird.

UncleRMC, While I do love finding your caches and the historical significance of them, this one was clearly marked with the No Trespassing signs. I drove by it Friday and pulled over on the main road. I started to take a pic of the sign and email you, but I did that last week for another cache and didn’t want to seem like I was the GEO-Police or something. Keep drinking lots of coffee, you are placing more caches in the area than anyone else, and most (including this one except for the PP issue) are great places to visit. Etrex Pirate

Don't worry about the GEO-police thing. You might just save a fellow cacher from spending a night in jail.

In our area there is an ols army battery which is public property. However, next to it someone is now building a house, and 'No trespassing' signs have sprung up along the only access road to the place. Access to the site is also possible by rope, up a bluff from the beach below (the rope is there). I would assume most cachers would want to take the formerly public road to get to the site (as I do, in defiance of the signs) when I go there.

So - if I place a cache on public property in a way that will not *require* trespassing, but will encourage people to trespass in order to get there, is that permissible within the guidelines? And if, on the other hand, I call the assessor's office and find out that the new No Trepassing signs are illegal, is that something to mention on the cache page, in order to encourage cachers to maintain the usurped right of way?

if I place a cache on public property in a way that will not *require* trespassing, but will encourage people to trespass in order to get there, is that permissible

You should not encourage trespassing. Make it clear on the cache page that there's legal access and illegal access, and recommend the legal access.

if ... the new No Trepassing signs are illegal, is that something to mention on the cache page

Yes, because I wouldn't enter otherwise. You should also mention the controversy involved, so that I as a cache hunter would know what to expect.