Disneyland Cache Archived

travisl

O.K. I finally got a call back from the police on this case. Yes, it was my cache that was found. When they opened it up, they found my log page and one of their Sergeants was a geocacher a year or so ago and recognized it at that point as being a cache. They are not going to proscecute because no law was broken. Disneyland doesn't want any caches in their parks. The PD says Disneyland still has the option to pursue civil charges, but he doesn't think they will. Whew !!!!!!!!!!I have learned a lot from this experience. Ask permission, write www.geocaching.com on the outside, and thirdly...ask permission. This should be the end of my saga. I will post again if anything changes. 4forfun

Hmmmm...I've got mixed feelings on this, as well as mixed feelings on alot of the posts here. 

On the one hand, I kinda dislike the loss of freedoms and liberties associated with the Patriot Act, on the other hand, I'm enough of a realist to understand that there are people in this world whose sole purpose is to kill Americans.  Our lives are full of compromises made in the name of safety, from locking your front door at night, to increased airport security, to the Patriot Act.  Where do you draw the line as to what is acceptable or not?  I believe that line is in a different place for each and every person, and it changes within each person depending on their personal situation.  I know that I look at alot of things quite differently since I had kids than I did prior to that time in my life.  And things that happen in the world also affect my feelings on what is acceptable or not.  Freedoms and liberties are a great rallying cry, but with them come great responsibilities as well.

Well said. I, too have somewhat mixed feeling about Disney, the Patriot Act, etc. But really...have YOU PERSONALLY had your freedom infringed on since 9-11? Since the Patriot Act was adopted? Look, you really only have something to worry about if you have something to hide. I haven't been pulled over and detained for questioning for anything becaue I'm not an radical Islamic Fundamentalist, but hey, that's just me. Maybe you have. But all I'm saying is that I just don't think it's as big of a "personal freedoms" issue as some of you make it out to be. I sleep better at night knowing that the Patriot Act is helping our law enforcement personnel hunt down those terrorists "... in this world whose sole purpose is to kill Americans." I'll wait in line at the airport a little longer, thank you. And I'll keep locking my door at night!

As far as this cache goes, I do hope it blows over...I hope the ther was no malicious intent, just maybe bad judgement on not getting landowner permission (which Disney would never have approved, I know.) We have several caches in our area that you need to enter a federal park (US Army Corps of Engineers regulated.) They are fine with caching (with permission from the rangers), and the parks charge a small fee for entry. I wouldn't consider these "commercial" caches, but if you're not into paying to do a cache, then just skip these (or any that require access to a paid area)--there's guy isn't prosecuted because, as someone else mentioned, plenty of other ones to do!

What has the Patriot Act really prevented that wasn't already being done illegally before? Besides that, there were people in this world whose sole purpose was to kill Americans long before the Patriot Act was ever thought of. Neither it nor the Patriot Act II are preventing anything but allowing us our civil liberties. I work for a law enforcement agency and yet I still disagree with many of the points in both Acts. My safety in this country wasn't any greater post PA I/II, and what really irks me is that Bush and his people are trying to prevent the sunset clauses in the PA I and extending them indefinitely.

Not that I have a vast terrorist empire running on my web server or anything, but I really don't appreciate the fact that now the gov't. has the ability to tap my datastream without a warrant or even a reason.

That being said, society has been conditioned to a state of hypervigilant paranoia, resulting in stupid scenarios like ammo cans being blown up under a rock pile. It wouldn't matter if the ammo can was clear plexiglass, with nothing more than a fully translucent logbook that made it clear the object being looked at is nothing more than an object, and not an explosive device. Someone would still freak out over it, and thousands of dollars would be wasted. Heck, there could be a blanket understanding/approval by law enforcement for a specific type of cache container that we were allowed to use, and yet someone would still call and we'd find TBs blown sky high by disruptors.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take everything I see as a surgically-altered Osama, and freak out everytime I see someone breathe. :D

Perhaps if this had happened in Los Angeles and not in Madrid last week, your attitude would be a little different.

Well, it did happen in Oklahoma City. We all know the story behind that.

The irony is Clinton did less to curb the freedoms of the group of people who thought along the same lines as Bush did to the average American after 9-11.

Same as with the previous towers bombing.

In both of those cases the device had to be carried in a truck.

We've had the Olympic Park bombing and various clinic bombings, all carried out by right-wing extremists. The government didn't clamp down on personal freedoms there either.

I don't want to trivialize the tradegy of 9-11, but because of changes that happened--the lose of personal freedoms, government imposed and self induced--the enemy has won. They've succeded in changing our very way of life.

If you don't think it has then you've not looked around. We wouldn't even be having this conversation otherwise. We wouldn't have to be so careful where we put our little boxes of trinkets and that is but one small symptom of this problem.

Exactly what freedoms did Bush curtail? I don't see jack-booted troops on every corner. In fact, I can't think of a single thing I could do before 9-11 that I can't do now. BTW are you free to place caches in wilderness areas or national parks? Under Clinton millions of acres of land here in California was locked up to where we peasants are not even allowed to ride a bicycle. The latest fad here is banning smoking outdoors on beaches (I am not a smoker), and the courts have claimed that the words "under god" in the pledge are unconstitutional. And watch out, they are coming after your food next. The loss of freedoms is coming from the left, my friend, not the right.

Also they do need a warrant to tap your data stream (Patriot Act sec 217, 219, 220). Plus every time they do, it must be reported to congress(sec. 215).

Found this link regarding the cache. It's got some pretty good photos. Now that I see what the item actually looks like, if I had found it (and not known about geocaching) I would've definitely been suspicious.

Phone Home Photos

Wouldn't you know it, I was looking for this cache just a couple of hours after the bomb squad was done with it! :rolleyes: Wouldn't have mattered anyway, as I couldn't locate the 4 gold columns. There were a bunch of gold columns, but I couldn't find a grouping of exactly 4. Funny, I saw the telephone booths pictured in your link, but could have sworn that there were only 3 of them. Did they remove one, or can I not count??? <_<

Did manage to get over to DCA and get the cache there before it was removed. :lol: